Thursday, September 5, 2013

redundant worker/ public job quitting



Aug. 27 Redundant worker: Back in 2007 I was working at this cafe for a few days.  There were three Arabian people in the late 20s and 30s.  I was the 4th worker.  I worked there three days and then I was dismissed.  I didn't really think about it until now, but I was redundant.  It wasn't really busy, and they really didn't need a 4th worker.  They could sustain on their own.
It was the first time I was ever dismissed.  I have only quit to go back to school and was laid off.

Cool website: I was looking for a job and I found this.  The intro is good.  A tree grows and 2 butterflies fly around it.  It's beautiful.
http://www.asafeplacetogrow.ca/counselling.htm
Job interviews:
Real estate office: I did a job interview for 15 min.  I think there was a rapport.  It was the first time ever, but I forgot to bring my folder.  I had to call home and my dad picked up.  I asked him to read the address and phone number to me.  I got there on time.

The office was really nice.  It had nice paintings.

  1. Can you do the job?
Yes.

  1. Do you fit in?
Yes.

  1. Will you like it?
Yes.

He did say it would be good if I blogged about the business.  I did talk about my blogs, my Professional writing.  He asked if I won a million dollars, what would I do?
I said I would keep working.  I would use the money to produce my script.

Aug. 28 Medical office: Last week I did a job interview at night.  I was kind of hesitant because I wanted to watch The Listener.  Lol.  The woman on the phone said I have applied before and I was thinking about this saying I cut out: “Good things happen when you follow through.”  I decided to go to it.  Here’s another example of where I put work first, and TV second.

My mom said my dad could drive me there.  I said yes.  This is the first time ever my parents ever drove me to an interview.  There were pros and cons to it.  I got there on time and got home easier.  However, the con was that I had to listen to my mom talk.

There were tests like 2 typing tests I did on the internet.  I got a few typos so I was penalized.  Then I did a filing test on how fast I can file this folder into the right place.  I did that before at another medical office.  I then had to file and take out something else in another test.

He asked the questions if I can stand the sight of blood.  I said yes.  I did a dental office job interview where they asked that question.  After the first round of interviews, he will then give a 1 day job shadow to see if you would like it and do well in it.

Acting: I was thinking about how I may be going to a lot of interviews and not getting the job.  It’s like being an actor.  You go to a lot of auditions and not getting the roles.  I used to want to go into acting when I was a teenager; however I just wanted the admiration.  Also, I’m not hot and good looking enough to be an actor.  Well, that’s my opinion.  Probably wear a lot of makeup.

The thing with acting for TV and movies, is that you are constantly saying the same lines, and doing the same scenes so you can get all the shots.  It can take 3hrs to shoot 1 scene.

The Soup place: This is kind of a hypothetical situation.  In 2010, I was laid off from the place because it closed down.  The mall was going to replace it with another restaurant and the Soup place has been there for 10 yrs.  I was there for 2 yrs.  I was a little surprised to hear the news, but I had previous lay off experience from getting laid off from Call Centre #1 in 2006, so I knew about job security.  In 2009, I even imagined what would happen if I got laid off from the Soup place.  I would look for another job.

What if my managers said: “Hey, we’re retiring.  You guys are all laid off.”  I would be okay with it.  I would ask: “Why now?  Are you sure?  Maybe you don’t want to work in the restaurant everyday, and just do part-time, and book keeping.  Are you sure you want to stop working altogether?”

Retirement is a big life change.  I wouldn’t be angry at them for retiring.  I’m not going to say: “What?  You can’t.  I would be out of a job.  How could you?”  lol.  I know not everything revolves around me, and I can’t always get my way.  I’m sure they would say: “We’re pushing 60.  We had this restaurant for 10 yrs.  We had a good run.  Now we’re out.”
Sept. 4: I would ask if they were really ready to let go of this business that they built and had for 10 yrs.

Stephen Mandel: It even made me think of the Edmonton mayor Stephen Mandel stepping down.  I bet it was really hard for him to let go of this great job as being the mayor of Edmonton.  If I had this good of a job, I would hold on to it as long as I could.

According to Wikipedia, he’s been mayor since 2004.  That’s 9 yrs and 3 terms as a mayor.  He’s 68 yrs old, he is pushing himself.  He is ready to retire.


Wee Book Inn: This could be used for my writing email, but I’ll put it in my business email.

I took the bus past the store on Stony Plain Road.  There was a “For Lease” sign.  I called them today to ask if they’re closing down.  The guy said no, but there are 4 stores.  They’re planning on consolidating to 2 or 3 stores.  It’s about the bottom line, and book stores aren’t really doing that well.  I called to ask to see if they’re closing down, because if they are, then there is a big sale to buy books.

Dream: My friend quitting her job at the restaurant has really had an effect on me.  I dreamt a couple of times that she came back to work.  Lol.

Gym: Today is my day off, and I did a job interview.  I was 10min early.  Outside was really hot and as soon as I stepped in, it was cool.   I think the interview went well because there was a rapport.  He asked about what I planned to do with my Professional Writing and I told him about my script and how it’s about MMA. 

He said the position was very flexible.  He seemed nice and friendly.  It was a relaxed interview.

Public job quitting: I found this on Yahoo: “Mall Employees Resign With Very Public Note.”   Here’s the article:

“Several employees at Journeys footwear and apparel inside the Marketplace Mall in Rochester, New York, may have done just that. They allegedly closed their store in the middle of the day, leaving a handwritten note attached to the shop’s security bars that explained their absence to their manager “Jamie.” The note read:

"Dear Jamie, since you decided to say 'Cancer is not an excuse' and think it's OK to swear at your employees like you do all the time, we quit. This is why you can't keep a store manager longer than a year. You abuse your [role] and staff. Enjoy the fact that you just lost a store manager, co-manager, and key holder in the middle of Back to School. Think next time you treat people the way you do. We aren't allowing it anymore. Niki, Jess, TJ."

Here’s a comment:

Stuart: Stick it to da man ! way to go . 0_0

My opinion: Oh, that’s a good way to get back at your boss.  Humiliate and diss him and the store in a public way by leaving a big note where everybody who passes by will read.  People will take pictures of it and put it up on the internet so the world will read it.  What an aggressive way to quit your job and diss him and the company.  Also you’re quitting in the “back to school” season when it’s really busy.  That’s about as busy during the Christmas season.  The employees might as well be saying: “F--- you.”

No comments: