Wednesday, September 11, 2013

eye- gouging case/ drinking and driving video/ rape



Sept. 4 Eye- gouging case: I found this on Yahoo: “Police in China suspect woman who gouged out boy’s eyes was aunt who later killed herself.”  This is so sad to hear that this 6 yr old boy lost his eye sight.

However, there is still hope.  At the end of the article, it says he’s recovering.  He is getting toys and donations.  2 doctors will help him free of charge.   From the article: 

Dr. Dennis Lam said the next stage in Bin Bin's treatment should be for him to have artificial eyeballs implanted within the following few weeks, before scar tissue develops. Over the next decade, Lam said, new technologies being developed by researchers in the United States and elsewhere could enable the boy to attain limited, simplified vision because his brain's visual centre still works.

"If we can have something to replace the function of the eyeball, then we can still stimulate the visual centre of the brain," Lam said. "Little Bin Bin has got the memory, has got the ability to see in his brain."

My opinion: I sure hope he does have his eye sight back, or at least some of it.  It really helped gain perspective on my life and appreciate my eye sight.


Sept. 7 Teens rescue woman: I found this on Yahoo.  It’s a 1:43 sec video of: “Aaron Arias and Jamal Harris are being hailed as heroes for their quick thinking at an intersection.”  Arias talked about how they were driving and they stopped and saw a woman in the back seat mouthing the words: “Help me, help me.”  They called 911 right away and followed the car to make sure she was okay. 

They were able to lead the police to the car and arrest the kidnapper and rescue the woman.  The kidnapper had hit her on her head and put her to gun point and stole her car.  A lot of comments are people congratulating them.  I would congratulate them too.


Sept. 8 Drinking and driving video: I found this powerful video on Yahoo.  It's where this guy Matthew Cordle confesses where he drank and drive and killed a man Vincent Canzani.  It was a good video that sends the powerful message to not drink and drive.

“I can’t bring Mr. Canzani back, and I can’t erase what I have done, but you can still be saved. Your victims still can be saved," Cordle says in the video.

A Canadian man's drunk driving crash once also became a powerful public awareness campaign. At 19, Kevin Hollinsky killed two of his closest friends in 1995 after he drank, drove and crashed his car in Windsor, ON. Rather than going to jail, Hollinsky was sentenced to recount the story of how his friends died again and again in front of students at local schools, to teach them the dangers of drinking and driving.
 
fries_n_gravy: I'm speechless, but yet there is so much to be said for his courage to come forward. Yes what he did was a horrendous crime, and yes the punishment should fit the crime. Please learn from his mistake and the life lost senselessly, do as he begs, don't drink and drive.
 
A Yahoo! User: That is a very courageous young man. I applaud his taking responsibility for the fatal decision he made. He will suffer for the entirety of his life... first behind bars and ongoing, always, in his mind. DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE! The victim(s) are always someone's loved one(s).

My opinion: I want to add, I was thinking about the movie Devil.  There is a group of people trapped in an elevator and one of them is the devil.  The detective investigating the case said his wife and child was killed by a drunk driver and the driver left a note that said: "I am so sorry."  I even remember watching something like this on Real Player news, way back around 2005.  A black man was killed in an accident.  There was
a note that said: "I'm sorry, but I have a family."  Basically explaining I can't go to jail if I have a family to support.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1314655/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1


Sept. 9 Racist note: I found this on Yahoo.  Toni Christina Jenkins is a Red Lobster waitress and nursing student.  She got this note on the receipt from the tip: “None n------r.”

"It's all very surprising to me. When I posted it I thought it might get a few 'likes' from friends and family. People praying for me, that kind of thing. I didn't think it would escalate this quickly," she told MailOnline.

Some people are saying she wrote the note, because the writing doesn’t match the signature.

My opinion: I believe she really did get this receipt and she didn’t make it up.  Why would she spread more negativity around on purpose?  I think she was angry and wants to post this to expose racism. 


Sept. 11 Rape: There’s a lot in the news.  I read in Metro today that 25% of men in six Asian countries have raped.  1 in 10 men admitted raping women who are not their partner.  They interviewed 10,000 men in Bangladesh, China, Cambodia, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Papua New Guinea.  Rachel Jewkes of South Africa’s Medical Research Council led the two studies.

Gang rape: The gang rapists who raped a young woman on a moving bus in India, have been found guilty on all 11 counts.  I wrote about it when the story first broke here:


The woman did die from her injuries, but at least the rapists didn’t get away with it.  Today in the Edmonton Journal, Kate Daigle and Shivani Kawat wrote the article.  There were protesters outside saying the 4 men should be hanged.

Prostitution: In the Metro today, it says that lawmakers in Switzerland where prostitution is legal.  They now raised the age of legal prostitution from 16 yrs old to 18 yrs old.

Rape culture: Today in Metro, there was an article called “Rape not one of the three Rs” by Paul Sullivan.  In UBC Sauder School of Business and similar version at Saint Mary’s University in Halifax.  The chant is basically saying having sex with underage girls and not getting consent.

I also read “Campuses struggle with ‘rape culture’” by Douglas Quan in the Edmonton Journal today.  Canadian Federation of Students’ poster expands on the “No Means No” campaign.  The lines in it are:

“I don’t feel like it MEANS NO.”
“Silence MEANS NO.”
“We’ve been drinking MEANS NO.”
“Don’t touch me MEANS NO.”

Good news: The only good news here is I read in the Edmonton Journal today: “Gouging victim gets eye implants.”  The 6 yr old boy Guo Bin will get eye implants that are “prosthetic eyes that will look and move more like normal eyes, but do not restore vision.”  They plan to fit him “with navigation sensors that would allow the boy to get around on his own in familiar places.”

Also in the article it says the suspect aunt who allegedly gouged his eyes, couldn’t be her.  She works at a factory on the day of the assault and wouldn’t have time to do it.  I don’t know, I don’t have all the information.  Maybe she could done it and went back to work.

I hope there’s lots of technology and medical science to restore his vision.  I’m sure he could still go to college and live a good life.

No comments: