Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Wes Brown/ Scandal

Mar. 30 Wes Brown: I found the TV show Scandal's trailer. The actor Wes Brown is actually in the 1:42 sec mark where he is being arrested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kju0TD2JnRU

Mar. 31 The Vertex Fighter: I subscribe to the Screenwriter's Goldmine emails. It talked about a script that doesn't have a lot of locations, so it's cheaper to film. I then thought about my The Vertex Fighter script. There are about 6 locations.

Apr. 4 Spring cleaning: I remember what Dr. Oz about exercise: "You may not be in the mood to do something, but if you start doing it, you will get in the mood." I will say that about cleaning. I threw out these H1N1 forms from 2009. I also threw out my retainer and retainer case that I haven't worn in 10yrs. It was always on the bathroom counter, but I never threw it away until now. I threw out a couple prescription bottles.

Apr. 6 Scandal: I saw the Scandal pilot called "Sweet Baby" yesterday. I read a couple of articles, and it was created by Shonda Rhimes who created Grey's Anatomy, it's spinoff Private Practice, and the unsuccessful show Off the Map. All shows are about doctors.

Scandal is different because it's about a company that prevents scandals from happening and protecting reputations. Here's my review. It starts off with a white woman Quinn (Katie Lowes) who meets this black guy Harrison (Columbus Short) for a blind date at a bar. They are talking really fast, and Harrison says: "This isn't a date. This is a job interview for Olivia Pope." Quinn gets hired at Olivia's firm. The show is set in Washington, DC.

Cut to Olivia (Kerry Washington) and British guy friend Stephen (Henry Ian Cusick) talking about how Stephen wants to propose to his girlfriend. Olivia and Stephen do this big business deal that's worth millions of dollars.

Harrison takes Quinn to the office and introduces the co-workers/ characters.

Olivia: We're lawyers, but we're not a law firm.

The actor Wes Brown playing Sergeant Sullivan "Sully" enters. He's got blood all over him and he's bleeding.

Sully: My girlfriend is dead, I didn't kill her, but it looks like I did. She was my best friend.
They take a pic of him.

The Lawyers research him, and Sully is a really good soldier and a Republican. Sully is crying as he says he didn't do it. Wes Brown is a really good actor.

This company reminds me of an independent business like private detective agency.

Olivia talks to David who will be investigating the murder. He's played by Joshua Malina from In Plain Sight and the other Washington, DC show The West Wing.

The show is very fast-paced because this happens in one night of the murder. Abby (Darby Stanchfiled) goes to take pics of the crime scene. She manages to get pics because she threatens a cop there that she will tell his pregnant wife that he was with a stripper. Stephen goes to the morgue to look at Sully's dead girlfriend Paige's body.

Olivia used to work for the White House. She talks to the a Politic guy about how the President needs her help.

Back to the main plot, Sully has to stay in the office as the team investigates. It turns out Paige was supposed to be at a party, but she cancelled.

Olivia meets with the President Fitzgerald (Tony Goldwyn). My nitpick was that the President and First Lady were white. I watched Heroes, and when there was the President, he was black. I thought they wanted it to be more like Barack Obama. President says a intern Amanda is saying that she has an affair with him, when he didn't.

It turns out Paige cheated on Sully, so Sully has motive to kill her.

Cut to Olivia who takes Quinn to go and confront the intern Amanda. Olivia tells Amanda all this personal information about Amanda, like her family, and her sexual history.

Amanda: I'm a good person.
Olivia: Yeah, Monica Lewinsky was a good person, and she was telling the truth. But she got her name dragged through dirt. Your life is out in public like your mom is in a mental hospital. Resign from your job, move and get another career.

Olivia told the plain, hard truth and she talked fast. The Tech Guy gives Quinn a pep talk. I looked him up on imdb.com, but the actor's name isn't in the credits. Quinn felt sad as she watched Olivia make Amanda cry.

Back to Sully. The man that Paige slept with, he had an alibi so he couldn't have killed her. The finger prints on the gun belongs to Sully.

Olivia: Did you know that Paige slept with Tom?
Sully: Yes, but I didn't kill her. She was my best friend. I picked up the gun, and that's how my finger prints got on it.

Amanda enters Olivia's office wanting to give the President a message. Olivia kicks her out and sends her down the elevator. David and the police come from the other elevator to arrest Sully.

Stephen, Abby, and Harrison thought of to check Sully's alibi. He went to a bar, and there was a camera on the street. They paid a security guard $500 and a pizza to watch the video.

This is the best scene in the whole episode- at least for me. They showed the video to Sully: it had Sully kiss another man. Did anyone predict he was gay?

Olivia: You kept saying Paige is your best friend, not your lover. She knew you were gay.
Sully: I'm a war hero, I can not be gay.

I noticed he did keep saying "best friend", but I didn't really predict that he was gay. I thought he didn't commit murder, but that maybe from the promo that said he was innocent. However, promos can be misleading.

This is a scene where I'm really impressed with Wes Brown's acting. He should put this scene in his acting reel. There is so much drama and tension as Sully is willing to get arrested and go to jail for murder he didn't commit, instead of coming out.

The intern Amanda tried to commit suicide, and prior to it called Olivia and left a message.

Cut to hospital.
Quinn and Olivia are there.
Quinn: She thought the President would come see her and call her "sweet baby."

Olivia confronts the President in the Oval Office.

Olivia: "Sweet baby." You were married, and that's why I left you.

Olivia had an affair with the President, and he called her that. Did anyone predict that? I didn't.

Olivia: I trusted you. You mislead my judgement. I destroyed a girl for you.
President kisses Olivia, and his Assistant walks in and witnesses it.

There's the conclusion to the other subplot. Stephen wants to propose to his girlfriend, and Olivia gives him a pep talk because he's really nervous that the marriage may not work out.

Olivia: You have to try, if you fail, then it's not on you.

Stephen gets down on one knee at the restaurant, and you can hear applause so you know she said yes. Olivia cries.

Olivia then talks to Sully to give the name of the man he kissed, so he could be his alibi. He gives the name of the man.

Cut to Sully at a press conference and he's wearing his uniform. In the beginning, when they researched him, he did a lot of speeches for the army. Sully then comes out and says that's gay and he's honored to have served his country.

The team don't know who the killer is, but will give their research to the police to find who killed Paige. To get you to tune into the next episode, Olivia will take the intern Amanda as her new client.

Review: I thought the episode as a whole was average. Maybe I'll tune into a couple more episodes. The best part was Wes Brown. I think I'll have to watch a couple more episodes before the characters grow on me. I will give points that it's unpredictable and fast-paced.

No comments: