Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Linked In/ unemployment/ job interview

Mar. 24 Linked In: Jessica Miller sent me this article through my blog. It's called "10 reasons Linked In can Cause Problems at Work." It's a good article and the tips are mainly that if you currently have a job, and you're looking for another one, go on your job search on your own time. Don't go on Linked In while you're on the clock.

I did learn something new like: #8 said that some employment agreements prohibit employees from working for a competitor after a certain amount of time after a termination.

http://www.internetserviceproviders.net/blog/2012/10-reasons-linkedin-can-cause-problems-at-work/

Office etiquette: Jennifer Lynch sent this article through my blog. It's called "8 Office Etiquette Tips for Young Workers." It's pretty straight-forward, like looking neat and clean, don't do social networking, or gossiping. Don't abuse your privileges because the office will end up taking them away.

1. Save social networking for home.
2. Refrain from gossiping.
3. Never, ever talk about salary.
4. Act professional.
5. Don't abuse your privileges.
6. Mind your manners.
7. Come early, stay late.
8. Look neat and clean.

Unemployment: Jasmine Hall sent this article "10 Surprising Side Effects of Long Term Unemployment." It's a long article and it was kind of depressing. Reading it was like looking at a train wreck; it's so bad, but you can't take your eyes away from it.

Well some things were obvious like "#9 Damaged self-esteem and worth." It talked about "#3 Changes in mental health" and "#6 More Health problems." There is stress and then you can develop high blood pressure. There are "#8 Lost friendships" because you don't get to see your friends at work.

What I didn't know was "#7 Failing Confidence in Democracy", but then there's the Occupy Wall Street.

My main solution is what I applied to my months of unemployment back in 2010 (and life in general): Keep a positive attitude and be constantly looking for a job. Don't waste your time feeling sad because you need to use this time to be productive.

http://www.onlinecolleges.net/2012/03/14/10-surprising-side-effects-of-long-term-unemployment/

Twitter: Helene Schmidt sent "25 Twitter Chats for Valuable Career Advice" through my blog. It gives times of when and what the chat is about. A couple are for the Y Generation and the Millennials.

http://www.onlinecollege.org/2012/03/14/25-twitter-chats-for-valuable-career-advice/

Daylight savings time: I got Job Boom newsletters emailed to me. Here's an article I already read in other newspapers. When people lose an hour of sleep, they tend to be more tired and slack off at work like surf the internet.

http://lifewise.canoe.ca/Work/2012/03/08/19477311.html

Women not working: I found this article from Job Boom: "Women leaving Work, when Husbands Earn More." I have read something like this in the newspaper before. Women are less likely to work if someone else can and they can live off one income. They profiled a woman who's a lawyer making 6 figures. Then her husband managed to make 7 figures.

http://lifewise.canoe.ca/Work/2012/03/08/19476186.html

Economy: Also from Job Boom, "Canada Job Market Stalls." This is a very mixed results article. The good is that Canada's unemployment rate went from 7.6% to 7.4%.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/Business/2012/03/09/19480811.html

Adolescent CEOs: Job Boom has the article: "The Rise of the Adolescent CEOs." They mention Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg of course. There are lot of CEOs who under 21 and they are building really successful businesses. They are making millions of dollars, or at least hundreds of thousands.

"Most of the young entrepreneurs say their interest lies in building rather than selling their companies."

http://www.canoe.ca/Canoe/Money/News/2012/02/21/19404761.html

Mar. 26 Bank: The highlight of my day was that I got a message from a bank. I called them back and did a little phone interview.

Mar. 27 Weird: Today I got a text message from this place saying they want to set up an interview. They said my (professional) email address that was on my resume didn't work so that's why they texted me. They wrote down my exact email address.

So I called them back twice. I then got a call from this man. I listed his phone number and he said that was his number, but he didn't call me about an interview. So I said it was a misunderstanding and we hung up.

Hospitals: I called back those 2 hospitals I did interviews for. It's been 2 weeks so they should make a decision by now. I got a call back, and I didn't get hired.

Bad habits: Roxanne McAnn sent me this article "8 Bad Habits that are Driving Your Coworkers Crazy." It's pretty straight-forward like don't gossip, talk on your cell phone constantly, being on the internet all the time, leaving work early. You can do those things, but in moderation.

I agree with #7 "Calling in sick too much." That reminds me of a co-worker at the Soup place. She often misses Mon. and Tues. That makes the rest of us work harder. If you are really sick, then stay home. If it's mild, then show up for work especially if it's busy like the article says.

Business mind: I do have a business mind. I told the managers a few times to hire another person to work at the Soup place because there are 2 co-workers who often miss 1 or 2 days of work a week. They didn't listen. What are you going to put on the job ad?

"On- call casual person. Needed on Mon. Tues. Sometimes Wed., Thurs, Fri. Depends." The Soup place didn't really need 1 person. We can float on our own with 5 people working harder. It would be easier if the 6th or 7th person actually showed up for work. Why spend $80 a day on labor costs for 1 person if they weren't completely needed? (Assuming $10/hr for 8hr of work.)

I started only working at the Soup place on the weekends because I got a job at Call Centre #3 on the weekdays. Then the Soup place hired 2 people to work Mon.-Fri. There goes $160 a day on labor costs.

Gmail tips: I got this article "25 Gmail Tips that Make You Look More Professional." #3 had the general tip like: "... credibilitykiller123@gmail.com look completely unprofessional. Use your own name, and leave out the numbers and special characters."

I didn't know about tip "#14 Send it Later." You may be sending emails at 2am, but you can schedule your emails to be sent at 8am.

http://www.onlinecollege.org/2012/03/13/25-gmail-tips-that-make-you-look-more-professional/

Mar. 28 Job interview: Remember last summer I wrote about "crazy interview" at a law firm? I thought I was on time, but it turns out I was 15min. late for the interview. So I didn't get hired. Yesterday I got a call from the same law firm, and I went to the interview today. I was 15min. early, but 4 other people were there already. They started early. So they joked that I was late (though I was on time.)

I thought my interview was okay. It was a group interview. It was light and easygoing; I would have thought it was an office hanging out at lunch. There were a lot of people for one position, but they were hiring for 2 other positions too.

The good part is that the boss didn't recognize me since we met each other months ago. I was a little nervous that he would remember me. The important thing is that I got a second chance, and I confronted my fear.

It was kind of like last time with Call Centre #4 hiring me for 1 day back in 2010, and dismissing me. Then I went and did an interview for them in 2012.

No comments: