Wednesday, April 25, 2012

job interview/ year reviews/ new direction

Apr. 20 Job interview: I did a job interview earlier this week.  I got an email today and I got rejected.  I was really hoping I did get hired here.  I have done lots of interviews and afterwards I didn't want to work there.

I wanted to work here because I get to write for their website and newsletters.  He asked for my blog address and I gave him my personal blog www.badcb.blogspot.com.  Maybe I should have given him my www.thevertexfighter.blogspot.com.  This position also gave me hours that I can work around my restaurant job.

If he were to read my most recent post, it was about TV shows and movies.  I am disappointed.  I have to write about it, to get over it.

Work: It was quiet at the restaurant all week long.  I have been busy with my 2nd part-time job though.

Apr. 21 The Simpsons: I have The Simpsons on in the background and it's the ep where Bart and Lisa writes Itchy and Scratchy cartoons.  They put Grandpa's name on it, and they split the check 3 ways.  The pay is $800 a week to write.

Me: That's good.  $800 x 4 weeks= $3200.  $3200 x 12 months= $38,400 a year.

As a kid, I thought the show was funny.  Now I'm an adult, I have to think about money.

Apr. 23 Entrepreneurs: Roxanne McAnn sent me this article through my blog "9 Unlikely Entrepreneurs who Changed the Market."  It talked about Oprah Winfrey and Mark Zuckerburg.  It says Walt Disney was fired from a company for not having imaginative ideas. Bill Gates never finished college.  Mark Cuban owns HDNet.  He was fired from a computer store and then decided to start his own company.

Office Morale: Roxanne McAnn also sent me this article called "8 Proven Ways to Boost Office Morale."  It talked about having a dog in the work place.  In 2008, I did a job interview at a TV production company and they had a dog there.  Allow people to go on the internet for fun.  It will relax them a bit and be more productive after their mental break.

It said "avoid sex jokes" but "swear a bit."  Don't swear at people, or use it in a negative way.  Swear to release frustrations.  Don't swear in front of clients or senior staff.  I don't agree with swearing at work.

Apr. 24 Pros and cons: I got hired at a hospital, however it's the availability that I have a conflict with.

Pros:

1. A hospital has good job security.
2. The pay is really good.
3. The bus station and LRT is well lit.
4. If I take the bus home, I will be home by 11pm.
5. I spent $30 on a criminal record check to get this position so I should take the job to make my $30 worth it.  That sounds kind of stupid.
6. I should at least give this job a try, so I would know if it's good or not.  Would I regret it if I didn't take this position?

Cons: 1. I don't like taking the bus and LRT at night.
2. I have to work at night and have to be awake by 6:15am.  Assuming I fall asleep by 12am, I would only get 6hrs of sleep.  That's not good, I need 8hrs.
3. They can not guarantee any shifts.


Apr. 25 Hospital: I talked to my dad about it after thinking about it for a few hours.  I was going to turn it down.  Then my dad and later my mom said I should give it a really good shot.  I decided I will give my 3 days training at my night shifts.  If I'm not good, that's fine.

My dad says I should still give my availability to them, and we'll see how it goes.  I gave them my schedule and then I got a call back, and I wasn't hired.  My availability isn't that good.  I told them to keep my resume.

Well maybe another opportunity like at the first hospital I did an interview for, will come up again.  I did an interview where the hospital is really close to my job and I can work there 3 days a week with guaranteed shifts.

Year reviews:

2008: The Year of the Soup place.  After I graduated out of college, I worked at the Soup place for 8 months.  I was looking for an office job and pitching my script The Fighter.  Both goals were even.

2009: The Year of The Fighter.  I was working full-time at the Soup place.  I passed 20 resumes a month to look for an office job like last year.  Mainly, I was pitching my script The Fighter and writing, and editing it.  I was giving my 100% time and effort into getting it produced.  I made a lot of progress because I had contacted all these TV production companies.

There was a time when 3 production companies were reading my script at the same time.   1. To get my script produced.
2. Get an office job.

2010: The Year of Unemployment.  I was laid off from the Soup place and was unemployed for 8 months.  I was sending 100 resumes out a month since Apr.  I was looking for a regular job and an office job at the same time.  When I had an office job for a couple of weeks, I did pitch my script.  I also had my appendix out, so I took 2 weeks off work to recover.  I then used that time to pitch my script. 

It was then called The Vertex Fighter, and it had become a lower priority.  Mainly I spent my time looking for a job.

1. Get a job.
2. Get an office job.
3. Get The Vertex Fighter script produced.

2011: The Year of the Office Job Search.  I was working part-time at my Restaurant #2.  The hours were cut to part-time.  I would say I used my free time effectively.  After I go to work, I go home and do my office job search.  I send out 100 resumes a month and constantly go on interviews. 

1. To get an office assistant job.
2. Get a writer's job.  (I did very little on that.)
3. Get The Vertex Fighter script produced.  (I didn't do too much on that either.)

2012: I'm not quite sure what to call it.

New direction: I have decided to go in a new direction.  I've been constantly looking for an office job ever since I got laid off from the Soup place in Apr. 2010.  I would say I gave 100% effort into looking for an office assistant job for 2011.  I've done like 50 job interviews last year.  It's been 2 yrs of constant job search.

I went to 2 career counseling sessions at school this year.  I got some information to open my own production company at the Microbusiness Training Centre.  I took a temp job at the Fruit Place last year and a temp job this month.  I thought I got hired at the hospital, but didn't.

My new direction is this: I'm going to give a 100% effort into getting a job at a TV production company.  I have sent out my resumes to some already. 

Flashback: I remember I did do one job interview at a TV production company back in 2008.  I tried to look for the post on my blog, but couldn't find it.

Script pitch: I mainly have contacted a lot of production companies already when I was pitching my The Vertex Fighter script to them, and was rejected.  This time, I'll be sending resumes out.

No comments: