Friday, November 4, 2011

TED talks about success/ Bobby Lee/ Pop Up Video

Nov. 2 TED talks about success:

Jason Fried: I was listening to TED talks that I got through my blog. Jason Fried talks about "Why work doesn't happen at work." He's been asking people for 10 yrs where they are most productive. They often say when they're on the porch, on the plane or train, just not at an office.

It's because there are all these interruptions with bosses and co-workers coming up to talk to you. Also meetings that aren't really necessary. He said a 1 hr meeting with 10 people, that's like 10hrs of productivity taken away. I never thought of that.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jason_fried_why_work_doesn_t_happen_at_work.html

Diana Laufenberg: She talks about: "How to learn? From mistakes." At first she discusses about schools and how we got our knowledge through books. Now it's about technology. She's been a teacher for years.

You should have kids experiment, have a voice and discuss things. There isn't always one right answer.

http://www.ted.com/talks/diana_laufenberg_3_ways_to_teach.html

Richard St. John's: Here's a 3:33 slide show of "8 Secrets of Success."

1. Passion: "I'm driven by my passion." -Freeman Thomas, car designer, Daimler Chrysler

2. Work: "It's all hard work. Nothing comes easily. But I have a lot of fun." -Rupert Murduch, big cheese CEO.

3. Good: "To be successful put your nose down in something and get damn good at it." -Alex Garden, game developer

4. Focus: "It all has to do with focusing yourself to one thing." -Norman Jewison, filmmaker

5. Push: "Push yourself. Physically, mentally, you gotta push, push, push." -David Gallo, marine scientist

"I always had self-doubts. I wasn't good enough, wasn't smart enough. I didn't think I'd make it." -Goldie Hawn, actor

"My mother pushed me." -Frank Gehry, architect.

Cut to a picture of stick figure in a bulldozer labeled "mom" and it's pushing another figure. The audience cheers and laughs.

6. Serve: "It was a privilege to serve as a doctor." -Sherwin Nuland, professor of surgery, Yale

Millionaires serve others something of value.

7. Ideas: "I have an idea- founding the first micro- computer software company." -Bill Gates, software guy

8. Persist: "Persistence is the number one reason for our success." -Joe Kraus, co founder, Ecxite

You have to persist through crap:

Cristism
Rejection
Assholes
Pressure

The audience laughs and cheers.

Joke: I was watching Jay Leno and he said: "Kim Kardashian is divorcing her husband after 72 days. I think I was on prime time longer than that."

lol. Oh yeah, JL was on at 10pm for a few months in 2009.

Nov. 3 Bobby Lee: It was so cool today. I met Bobby Lee, he's an actor from MADtv. I was at work and he was seated at a table. I pass by him and stop.

BL: Hi, are you my server?
Me: No, I'm a busser. Excuse me, are you Bobby Lee?
BL: Yes.
Me: Oh my god, what are you doing here?
BL: I'm performing at the Comic Strip (it's on Bourbon Street at West Edmonton Mall.)
Me: Can I shake your hand?

BL: Yes.
We shook hands.
BL: I mean it's cool, I'm just a guy.
There were these 2 white guys that came in. One of them came over.
White guy: I was going to make fun of him for looking like Bobby Lee, but then realized it is him. I heard you were in Edmonton.
WG shakes hands with BL.

Me: Wow, it's so cool and surreal right now. I've been watching you on MADtv for years. I also saw you in a music video.
BL: The one with Flo Rida?
Me: Yes.

I had only seen a bit of the video while channel surfing.

BL: So what's your name?
Me (show my name tag): Tracy.
BL: Hi. So how old are you?
Me: 26.
BL: You look good.
Me: Yeah, I know I look young.

BL: So what nationality are you?
Me: Chinese.
BL holds up his fist for me to bump. I bumped it. lol.
BL: I'm Korean.
Me: I know.

BL: May I have a menu please Tracy?
Me: Yes.

I got him the menu. Later I asked for him to autograph the menu. He did, it said: "To Tracy. Thanks. Bobby Lee." Then I let him play with his iPad.

You can buy tickets to his show here:

http://www.thecomicstrip.ca/ticketschedule.asp

Celeb meetings: He was really calm and chill. I guess I expected to him to act all wild and crazy like he is on the show. I was also caught off guard when I met him. It's not like those other times where the Bounce radio station advertised the singer George was going to be at WEM. It was in 2006 and I went there to get his autograph.

I knew I was going to see George, so I mentally prepared for it. He had songs like "Talk to Me" and "Lie to Me."

There was that time back in 2008, I was working at the Soup place and Nathaniel Arcand (from the Alberta-shot TV show Heartland) stopped by to buy lunch.

Me: Hey aren't you from the TV show Heartland?
NA: Yes.

George, and Nathaniel Arcand are nice.

Funny dance: There's a video of a black woman dancing with her dad at her wedding. At first they slow dance to "My Girl". It turns into a medley where they are dancing in sync with each other to hip-hop songs and old classics by the Jackson 5. At the end, they play Beyonce's "Single Ladies" and at the lyric: "Put a ring on it", they point at her wedding ring.

lol. I laughed at it.

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/video/life-1252664/father-daughter-dance-medley-27146159.html

Nov. 4 Pop Up Video: Does anyone remember this show? Back in 1996 it came out, where they showed music videos and through these little bubbles that pop up with subtitles. It gave info about the artists and behind-the-scenes at the video shoot. It was on from 1996-2002. It had 6 seasons. It has now come back on this week on MuchMoreMusic at 6pm, and again at 9pm.

I have been watching it since it came back on this week. They're playing music videos I have actually seen from 1998- present. I thought it was pretty cool when they played Pink's "Get this Party Started." I'm kind of eh with the song. Did you know that Kevin Federline was in the video at the end dancing?

He was in a blue jump suit and cornrows. He was a professional dancer before he married Britney Spears. You can watch him at 2: 35 sec mark. They pointed out a mistake at 3min in, Pink is wearing a gold chain necklace. 3 secs later, she isn't. I didn't notice that.

They showed Amy Winehouse's video "Rehab" and talked about how she was in rehab for the first time for 10min. Then she signed out. She went into rehab and stayed for a week, and then signed out again. She died at 27 yrs old like Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix. It's shot in the same place as the movie The King's Speech was.

I like it because I learn about artists and the behind-the-scenes info that I wouldn't know otherwise. Well, I would if I took the time out to research on the internet, but I don't always have the time. I also don't research celebrities much anymore like I did when I was a teenager.

This show has some quirky and funny subtitles. The played Rihanna's video "S&M." The subtitle was that the video and song is not about sex, it's about not liking the paparazzi. As she sings "Come on, come on." The subtitle says: "Come on." That's good snarky comment of "Yeah, right."

I guess my nitpick is that some of the things/ info presented, I already know. So I guess, it's not as informative.

I remember in the late 90s, early 2000s, not everybody had internet at home. So this show used to be really informative. At least to me.

No comments: