Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Marty Chan/ audition/ actors

Nov. 28 Marty Chan: I was reading the Edmonton Journal and the playwright/ author Marty Chan will be the new Writer in Residence at the Edmonton Public Library. He wrote the play Mom, Dad, I'm Living with a White Girl. I think my sister saw that play years ago.

Audition: I auditioned for his pilot The Orange Seed Myth way back in 1997. It was held in the Edmonton Chinatown Multicultural Centre because they were looking for Asians. The story was about how a little boy was told that if he swallows an orange seed, a orange plant will grow on top of his head. I was 11 yrs old when I went to the audition. Back then I wanted to be an actress. I wanted to be famous and have admiration.

When I was there, I was lining up to get in front of the camera to talk. There was one role for a girl who was to be 13 yrs old. This woman saw me, and I guess she was the casting director and she said I was too young. I know I looked like I was 9 yrs old.

She told me to put my application to this other table. If the show gets picked up and more characters are added, they will call and have more auditions. Well they didn't. I remember hearing the storyline, and I wasn't really interested in it. But then, I'll take whatever acting job I could get. When you're successful and on TV and movies, then you get to choose what project you want to do.

Dance: So acting didn't go very far. But then I went and danced in the jr. high talent shows. I remember this interview with the singer Robin Thicke.

RT: I was shy, so I didn't act. I like to hide behind a big piano and sing.

I can kind of relate. I don't like to say lines, but dancing in front of 700 people is easy. I don't have to say anything or remember anything. I just move to the music.

Actors: I was watching this CSI: NY rerun, and I see Marguerite McIntyre. She played the mom on Kyle XY, sheriff/ Caroline's mom on Vampire Diaries, and the bad guy in The Mentalist ep. She played a bad guy here too. She's got some range in playing both good and bad guys.

I also see Sam Page who I first saw as Bree's step son on Desperate Housewives. He was a business grad on the show. He played a computer bad guy on CSI: NY, and now a college professor on Gossip Girl. He's handsome and can play a professional.

Victor Webster is this Calgary actor. He was a regular on Mutant X. I thought that was a mediocre show. Then I see him as a bad guy in Wishmaster 4: Prophecy Fulfilled, an ex-boyfriend on Harper's Island, a bad guy on Criminal Minds and now on an ep of Castle.

Nov. 30: I was watching Human Target and I recognized the body guard. It's Tahmoh Penikett, he was agent on the TV show Dollhouse. It's not too much of a stretch for him to be on action show.

Fashion show: I saw the Victoria's Secret Fashion show today. There were live performances by Katy Perry and Akon. They cut to shots of celebrities in the audience like the rock band Maroon 5 and Paris and Nicky Hilton.

Celebs in music videos: As my siblings and I were watching the fashion show, they cut to this black guy in the audience.

Me: Tyrese?
Sister: No, it's Tyson Beckford. He's a model and he was in Toni Braxton's music video "Unbreak my Heart."

I remember the video, but not him.

I've been listening to Ashanti because Robin Thicke did a duet with her. I realized I have never seen the whole Ashanti's "Foolish" video and the actor Terrence Howard was in it. He's in Iron Man and Law and Order: Los Angeles.

Music: I think I overdosed on Robin Thicke, so the last few days I've been listening to my cds like Katy Rose, Stacie Orrico, Mikaila, and Kyle Riabko.

Inspiration: I was watching Yahoo news and there is this blind girl who's a gymnast. She seemed very normal, and you wouldn't know she was legally blind. She sees blurry things, but it's amazing to see her on the balance beam, do the vaults, and the uneven bars.

Dec. 1 Chips: I tried the new Doritos jalepeno popper. It's spicy and I like it.

Cool video: I was pitching my script and I found this production company called Sons and Daughters. It has this list of directors and I found the director Barney Colbelis. He did a commercial for Peugeot.

It was a very good commercial. It starts with 4 kids riding in a car and it seems like it's raining and dark out. It has a slow song and it feels so magical. Then it turns out they're going through a car wash. The kids then pay one of the kids in marbles for going on this magical ride. Check it out:

http://www.sonsanddaughters.ca/

Productive: This morning I emailed 33 production companies. Now it's the afternoon and I'm looking for a job.

Pep talk: I had one of those talks with my dad today where he tells me to get a career. I know, that is one of my priorities. For the moment it's keeping my busser job, and saving a lot of money. Then it's pitching my script.

Money: The other day I finally got my paycheck in the mail from my office job and I rushed to downtown to deposit it. Yesterday I calculated how much money I made this year. Today my dad told me to keep track of how much tips I make for tax purposes.

Me: I already do that because I write down how much money I make and how much I spend. It's also for my EI claim. Whenever I file for EI, they ask you how much money you made before tax deductions and that includes tips.

I didn't think about it for tax purposes. I write down how much money I make because I like to keep track of it.

No comments: