Friday, December 3, 2010

comedy comparisons/ old scripts/ old inspiration

Dec. 1 Comedy comparisons: Some things are really easy targets to make fun of like Wal- Mart. The Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park made fun of it. Here's another one:

Shake weights: It's those weights where you shake it and you get a work out from it. There's a sexual connotation to it. I was watching South Park, and Stan's mom used those shake weights. The shake weights also talked and it was very sexually suggestive. Saturday Night Live made fun of it, but it's about putting those shake weight commercials to watch on dvd. MadTV kind of did it too by having a flashlight that needs to be shaking to be able to light up.

Funny and cute: I was watching Jay Leno and they aired this funny video clip. A black bear was climbing up a ladder and a guy's filming and asks: "Hey, what are you doing there?" The bear climbs down and runs away.

There was this other clip of a segment called: "Go to Dick's house or Disney World?" Cut to 2 little boys sitting at a fast food restaurant.

The parents: We're going to Disney World.
The kids don't react at all.
Boy: I want to go to Dick's house.
Boy 2: Yeah, me too.

Yeah, that was kind of weird that the kids weren't happy or excited at all in going to Disney World.

Headline: This was a fake headline on Jay Leno about daylight savings time: "Terrorists unsure whether to set bomb backwards or forwards."

Talk shows: My friend Sherry emailed this when I was talking about all these talk show hosts appearing on Oprah.

Me: "Geraldo Rivera: He was on the 1980s and I don't remember watching it. They showed a clip of how he got into a fight when Neo-Nazis were on the show. There were like 30 people on stage and a chair was thrown at GR that broke his nose."

Sherry: He was one of those talk show dudes that liked to always do sensationalist stuff and argue with his guests and create tension.

Yeah, well lots of talk shows sensationalize things and create tension to get ratings.

Jenny Jones: I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm going to give points to Jenny Jones. She's not that good, but I remember a time in the late 90s she did an episode about race. The audience got into a fight with one of the guests.The camera went crazy and then it cut away really fast to JJ.

JJ: I'm sorry about that fight, but now that it has calmed down, let's go to our next guest.

Wow, JJ didn't show the fight. If it was Jerry Springer, he would show the fight on TV. JJ had a little class, by not showing the fight. She wasn't that good because she didn't really help people. There was an episode about out- of- control teenage girls. Then they bring one of the girls back, and she hasn't really changed her ways as in she still wants to be a stripper when she grows up.

Then there's the trashy and absurdness of "Mothers and Daughters who party together." That was cringe-worthy.

Child molestation: I was watching Oprah a month ago where 200 men in the audience talk about child molestation. Did you know that 1 in 6 men are molested? That's a high number. I was thinking, maybe 1 in 10.

A lot of men don't want to admit they're molested because they're ashamed and that people won't believe them. They are supposed to tough it out. They also don't tell because they're afraid that people will think they are child molesters themselves.

Dec. 2 Job search: I've only been to applying a few places at a time. I have been pitching my TV script to lots of production companies. Fine, I'm going to push myself and look harder for a job.

I wrote the above an hour ago and I've applied to 6 places.

News: I read in the Edmonton Journal that there was a fight club in Airdrie, AB. It was an article about cops confiscating money and things from criminals.

I remember my friend Ray reading my script The Fighter and she said that a fight club isn't likely to occur in Edmonton. Well here's proof if there's one by Edmonton.

Dec. 3 21 Jump Street: I read in the Edmonton Journal that there's going to be a movie called 21 Jump Street which is from an old FOX show that ran from 1987-1991. It stars Channing Tatum (GI Joe, Dear John) about young cops who go undercover in high schools to stop crime.

Comparisons: The above idea is unoriginal. Maybe when it first came out, it was original. I can name a lot of shows about undercover cops in high schools.

The Secret World of Alex Mack: This was a sci-fi show in the 1990s. It was about a girl who got this chemical GC161 spilled on her and she develops powers. The power plant who's in charge of the chemicals are looking for the GC161 kid Alex. The bad guy Vince hires this agent to go undercover at a high school to look for the kid.

She did figure out Alex was the kid, but A didn't take the bait to expose her powers.

90210: In the first season of the remake of this show, an undercover female cops goes into the high school to bust drugs.

Veronica Mars: VM finds out there's an undercover FBI agent played by Jonathan Taylor Thomas (Home Improvement) who is trying to find a bomber.

Old scripts: I'm going to admit that I had an idea for a prequel to one of my scripts, about going undercover at a high school to bust drugs.

Obliteration: I'm going to list an old TV show I wrote back in 2000-2001. Obliteration was the name of a rock band that got successful.

Old inspiration: I was really into that bad reality show Making the Band where they made the boy band O-town. I spent $80 on O-town concert tickets, $20 on the cd, and $5 on the YM magazine they were on the cover on. My sister was the one who waited in line to buy the two tickets for us. The concert was fun.

I spent $105 on O-town, but I spent hours watching their shows and going on their websites. I was so obsessed with them back then. lol.

I was really into the music industry back then. I was also watching those S Club 7 TV shows. The first two seasons when S Club 7 was in Miami and LA were funny. Then when they got to the 3rd and 4th seasons in Hollywood and Viva S Club, then the writing got really bad. Though I'm sure all of you guys are thinking: "They were all really bad." If you watch the first 2 seasons, I liked it.

I bought the first 2 cds from them and spent $40 on them. Not too much money.

Unoriginal: A band or artist becoming successful has been done. There's the TV show Instant Star about a girl who wins a TV singing contest and gets a record deal. She grows up in the limelight. It's a good show. Then there's Kaya about a rock band, and it wasn't really good. Cory Monteith (from Glee) played the drummer in it if you want to check it out.

My Guide to Becoming a Rock Star starred Oliver Hudson (Kate Hudson's little brother) about a rock band that was trying to make it big. It was in 2003. It was funny. I had a few laughs from that show.

No comments: