Friday, December 27, 2013

Thank you for saving my life

I got this from Amnesty International:


Dear Tracy,

I believe that I’m alive this holiday season because of you and the thousands of Amnesty supporters who worked tirelessly to rescue me from death row in Iran.


Please make a donation today this holiday season and help bring more people home.
Through your support, you’ve given me the chance to be reunited with my wife, Antonella, and renew my life in Canada. 

In 2008, while visiting my family in Iran, I was arrested when I tried to find out what happened to my older brother, Alborz, who had been detained. I was psychologically and physically tortured, and held in isolation. In 2009, I was given a death sentence on trumped up espionage charges. My brother died in prison.
I nearly gave up hope.

But Amnesty International supporters like you in Canada and around the world refused to give up and campaigned to bring me home.
After nearly half a decade in prison, I was released. It was the second happiest day of my life.
The happiest was arriving at the airport in Toronto to be reunited with Antonella. Watch this special video to see my joyous return home

Tracy, please donate this holiday season so that Amnesty International Canada can continue reuniting families like mine.

I am personally concerned about Omid Kokabee, an Iranian student who was studying for his PhD in the USA. He was arrested when he came home to visit his family, unjustly charged, and jailed in the very same prison where I was held. His family is very concerned for his well-being and hope that, with Amnesty International's help, he will be freed from his nightmare soon.

No one deserves to be left alone to die in a prison for a crime they didn’t commit. And there are so many more who need our help.
I am proof that your efforts work. 

But let’s make sure that Amnesty International Canada can keep reuniting families. 

With your gift today, you can help other people like me who are imprisoned without cause around the world. We can’t do this on our own. In the spirit of the holiday season, please donate to Amnesty International Canada today.
hamid_sig.gifAll the best,

Hamid Ghassemi-Shall



P.S. My hope for this holiday season is that Amnesty International will reunite more families, like Omid Kokabee's, in the new year. I know you’ll make a real difference this holiday season. Please donate today.



 
 

No comments: