Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pursue your passion/ high pay, low stress



Dec. 27: I worked all this week like Christmas Eve, Christmas, and Boxing Day.  

Pursue your passion: Ginny Grimsley sent me this article “’Find Time to Pursue Your Passion!’ Says Moonlighting Toyota Attorney”.  Pamela Samuels Young is an attorney and she writes novels on the side and has been published.  Here are her tips and the article is on my blog:

• Schedule time to devote to your passion. “On my calendar, you’ll find a few hours or full days blocked out as ‘Writing Time’ every week,” Young says. “You have to schedule time for your passion. If you don’t, the day-to-day demands of life will get in the way.”

• Put “passion” time ahead of “pleasure” time.  If you’re working full-time and pursuing another “job,” you won’t have a lot of free time. “You’ll have to cut back on watching television, socializing with friends and even family time,” Young says. “Explain your goals to friends and family. People who have your best interests at heart will support you. “But do take an occasional break to relax.  Otherwise, you’ll burn yourself out by working around the clock.”

• Learn from others. Surround yourself with people who share your passion. Sign up for newsletters, read books and join communities of other like-minded people, Young says. “There are tons of professional groups whose sole function is to help their members develop their creative talents and business goals.” Young is a diehard member of Sisters in Crime, an organization that promotes the advancement of women mystery writers. “Not only will you get energy and inspiration from networking with others, you’ll grow.”

• Don’t put your day job on the backburner. Young says it’s important to give your day job 100 percent. “I never want my co-workers to think I’m phoning it in because I also have a writing career.” That attitude has paid off. “I have a strong support system at work. My co-workers read my books, critique my manuscripts and come to book signings.” Many of the people Young thanks in the Acknowledgements in each of her books are co-workers. Her fourth novel is even dedicated to another Toyota attorney.

http://badcb.blogspot.ca/2013/12/looking-for-new-you-in-new-year-article.html

Job seeker newsletter: Here are some articles from the December edition.  It’s from the website Hire Ground:

Paid vacation days off: This is a little infographic:

“Ever wished you had more vacation days? Or that the office was closed an extra day or two in the summer? It’s interesting how much of a difference in paid holidays there are around the globe. Austrian and Portuguese workers can get over a month of paid time off each year, while the USA has a grand total of zero paid holidays! This makes Canada look like a great place to work, with a modest 18 days each year.”

http://blog.hiregroundsoftware.com/hr-blogs/vacation-time-around-the-world-infographic/

Be positive: This is a little article called “Be Positive!  Attitude does matter” by Briana.

George Egbuonu, author of the book – How To Get A Job In 30 Days Or Less! writes, “A bad attitude is by the far the worst handicap one can have.”

I’m going to put that quote in my inspirational quotes.

“Do you hate your current work situation? Whether it’s your evil boss, your gossiping co-workers, your busy commute or your long hours, don’t let bad feelings toward your current job filter into your personality. So many of our waking hours are spent at work, it can be difficult to separate your work life from the rest of your life, but that is what you need to do (for your own peace of mind, if nothing else). If you hate your current job, don’t let it define you as you talk to your job contacts and potential employers. Go into networking meetings and interviews focused on a positive aspect of your life, or on the positive outcome that may come from the meeting.

Are you stuck in a long job search? If you have been fruitlessly looking for a job for several weeks or months, this will naturally affect your self-confidence. Look at each job opportunity and employer with fresh eyes and don’t stop putting in 100% effort. You are hireable.”

My opinion: I like this article.  I need to stay positive.


Not on resume: Briana writes “5 Things You Don’t Need on your Resume.”

An objective line.
A list of all your skills.
Details on every past role.
A list of references.
The reason you left your job.

My opinion: I agree with the last one.  It’s not until you’re at the job interview do they ask how and why you left your last job.


High pay, low stress: I found this Yahoo article in Nov. 2013.  I put it in my email so I could write about it later.  The article is “15 high paying jobs for people who don’t like stress.”

It’s a fast and easy read.  I read all of it, and I was kind of eh with it.  There are high paying jobs like engineers, dental hygienists, orthodontists, optometrists, audiologists, and law teachers.  It’s high pay, but there is so much schooling to go to.  You get a degree, but then you look at the education requirements, and then you need more schooling for the specific medicine, and some residency training.

Also most of the jobs I’m not interested in.  I see technical writer and art director.

I then read some of the comments below and lots of disses where people say those jobs do have lots of stress.  

Jorge: “Bogus article. Many of the jobs on the list do have stress. Try being responsible for implementing a multi-million dollar computer system and see what it does to you. You think the software company responsible for implementing the ACA website mess didn't feel the pain? And engineers who are responsible for the safety of the public and meeting business financial and time demands have it easy? Get real!”

Mike: “Low stress? Really? Any job with deadlines has stress. Any job with an effiiciency component combined with customer support has stress (dental hygenist). The astronomer maybe is low-stress, except around how to stay employed...

How much do librarians make?”


Christmas consumerism: I asked my friend Cham if I can put her in my blog and she said yes.  She says she doesn’t buy Christmas gifts either.  I talked to one of my co-workers and he doesn’t buy gifts either. 
I got some good news.  You know how I mentioned a few weeks ago that I saved all these links into an email, and then later the email went blank?  I then decided to send the draft email to you guys.  I mentioned about the MADtv sketch parody of American Idol in the email.  

One of the email addresses can’t be sent, so it went back to me.  I then see all the links I had put into the draft email.  It looks like my blank email could be retrieved.  One of the links was this, but then I couldn’t click on it.  I put it on Google and the website doesn’t exist.  


This belongs in my job email because it’s about saving money.

No comments: