Sunday, December 22, 2013

job scams/ EI/ temp books



Dec. 9: Today is my day off.  Yesterday my manager told me he needed me to come to work.  I said yes, and then I remembered I had a doctor’s appointment, so I told him I couldn’t come.

I went to the doctor at 7:30am.  After that, I then took the bus to City Centre mall and went to Shoppers Drug Mart.  That store finished renovating and it looks good.

Dec. 11 Job scams: How to avoid job scams:  If it’s from the internet, there is a higher chance it’s a scam.  However, I have experienced a job scam through an ad in the Edmonton Journal

http://badcb.blogspot.ca/2013/07/meek-ceramics-scam.html

Business writing: I am a business writer because I write a weekly email about business, jobs, and careers.  Most of it is from newspapers and the internet.  I do write a lot about my job interviews and job experience.

Dec. 20: I don’t know if you noticed this, but I haven’t sent a weekly email about business in the last 2 weeks.  I kind took a break from writing about it.

Job interview: I went to a job interview a couple of weeks ago.  It was at a dental office.  It was a short interview.  I had to take 2 buses.  The interviewer said it would take 3-6 months to get the basics down. 
She did take the time to call back and tell me I wasn’t getting hired.  It was probably because she was making calls to tell the people who were going to get into the second interview.

Holiday job search: I have read a business article a few yrs ago about people stop looking for a job during the holidays because they’re busy, and think that companies aren’t hiring during this time.  Companies are always hiring so that doesn’t mean you can take a break. 

However, the closer it gets to Christmas, the less job postings there are.

Temp: On Nov. 6, 2013 in Metro, according to Statistics Canada, temp works earn on average $19.58, $5.44 less than permanent workers.

On Nov. 6, 2013, in Metro it says: “76% of CVs are ignored if your email address is unprofessional.”

“68% of employers will find candidates on Facebook.”

Networking: On Nov. 7, 2014, it talks about “It’s not about what you know, but who you know.”  HR expert Laurie Ruettimann told www.monsterworking.com, that though you may not get a full-time job, you get to connect with a lot of people.

A consultant at Supertemp says: “You meet a lot of clients and companies you wouldn’t have a foot in the door with otherwise.  25% of Supertemp’s clients transition to full-tiem work.”

EI: On Nov. 18, 2013, in Metro it says about Sylvie Therrien who revealed: “There are quotas $35,00-$40,000 in clawed-back benefits each month- imposed on every public servant investigating employment-insurance fraud.”

She raised the issue internally, but they won’t change it.  Then she went to the media.  She was a whistle blower and Harper’s government created the whistleblower law back in 2007.  That law didn’t help because she was dismissed.

This is important.  I’ve been on EI before and thousands of Canadians have been on EI.

Resume: On Nov. 12, 2013, Metro says it takes 6 seconds for hiring managers to look at resume.  They look at “name, current/previous company, title, position start/end dates, and/ or education.” 

Ashley Madison: You know this website where married people go to find other married people to cheat on their spouses?  On Nov. 12, 2013, Metro says that Doriana Silva is suing the company because she used to work there.  She alleges she permanently damaged her wrists typing up fake profiles of women for the site.  It was in the business section of the newspaper.

Temp books: On Nov. 25, 2013, Vawn Himmelsbach wrote an article called “6 must-reads for temp workers.”  I read the descriptions of the books, and it’s more like freelance.  If you want to be an entrepreneur, these books are something to read.

I have thought of self-employment.  You get to set your own hours, but there are no benefits.
I’m going to copy and paste what the Amazon description is:
 
Make Sure It's Deductible, Fourth Editionby Evelyn Jacks  
 

The Money Book for Freelancers, Part-Timers, and the Self-Employed: The Only Personal Finance System for People with Not-So-Regular Jobs by Joseph D'Agnese, Denise Kiernan 

“We make our own hours, keep our own profits, chart our own way. We have things like gigs, contracts, clients, and assignments.  All of us are working toward our dreams: doing our own work, on our own time, on our own terms. We have no real boss, no corporate nameplate, no cubicle of our very own. Unfortunately, we also have no 401(k)s and no one matching them, no benefits package, and no one collecting our taxes until April 15th.

It’s time to take stock of where you are and where you want to be. Ask yourself: Who is planning for your retirement? Who covers your expenses when clients flake out and checks are late? Who is setting money aside for your taxes? Who is responsible for your health insurance?

Take a good look in the mirror: You are.”

The Temp Factor for Job Seekers: The Job Seeker's Guide to Temporary Employment by Cathy Reilly

My So-Called Freelance Life: How to Survive and Thrive as a Creative Professional for Hire 

Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In 

Roger Fisher , William Ury , Bruce Patton

The Freelancer's Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Have the Career of Your Dreams - On Your Terms by Horowitz, Sara, Sciarra Poynter,

No comments: