Sunday, December 1, 2013

Aqua massage/ happiness during holidays/ Paul Walker



Nov. 21 Aqua Massage: One of the servers got a West Edmonton Mall coupon book as a tip from a customer.  The server then shared it with all of us.  A lot of the workers took the fast food coupons.  I decided to use the Cloud 9 Aqua Massage coupon.  Take $5 off a massage.

The first time I saw one of these was on Big Brother 3 in 2002 as a luxury reward.  You lay there in this kind of tanning salon- like bed and listen to calm adult contemporary music.  The high power water jets spray on your back from the toes to the shoulders.  There is hold button so it could stay on one spot and an emergency stop button.

There is the $20 for 10 min massage.  I paid $15.75 for it.  I would say it was relaxing and a fun new experience.  I have the winter blues and stress from work, so it’s good to try something new.  I like it and wouldn’t mind trying it again.


Nov. 27 Happiness during holidays: Ginny Grimsley sent me this article called “Happiness During the Holidays.”  It’s about how Jane Schwartzberg was diagnosed with a terminal illness and here are her tips on living a meaningful life:

• Showing up. If you’re worried about yesterday or always planning for tomorrow, you’re missing the present moment and any wonderful experiences it may hold.

“Although my clock ticks louder than others, I know we are all here for a short time,” Schwartzberg says. “I am determined to find joy in every single day. It may come from the simplest of things: a view from my window, a great conversation or a hot cup of coffee. But I know I need to be always present and available, with an open mind and open heart, to experience any of it.”

• Riding her love train. We all have people in our lives who care about us, and it’s important to let them know how much we appreciate them. Schwartzberg’s “love train” is a metaphor for all of the people she chooses to share her life with.  “They are rooting me on and giving my family and me love and support,” she says. “I try to be as meticulous and thoughtful as I possibly can be with those on board, and that means making sure they know how much I love and value them.”

• Knowing my place in the world. There is a Jewish teaching that says everyone should carry with them two pieces of paper, each in a separate pocket. One paper should say, “I am but dust and ashes.”  The other, “The world was created for me.” 

“I constantly remind myself that both statements are true,” Schwartzberg says. “I am capable of incredible things to improve the world, and I am just a tiny speck in the universe. Powerfulness and humility can, and do, exist for me side by side.”


Nov. 28 Cute news: I read in the Metro on Nov. 6, 2013 that otters hold hands while they eat and sleep so they won’t drift apart.  


Nov. 29 Southgate: I went to Southgate mall on Nov. 14, 2013.  I haven’t been there in years.  It’s because it’s so far away and I like going to malls that are closer to me like City Centre.  It was Thurs. and my day off.  My parents said they were going there and asked if I wanted to come so I said yes.  On a Thurs. at 1pm, the mall was really busy.

I spent 2 hrs there and didn’t buy anything.  I just like to go to the mall and look at things. 

  1. Sears- the store was really busy though in the business news there were reports of closing down stores and lay offs.
  2. Apple- I thought the only Apple store was in West Ed.
  3. Below the Belt- they were selling Toms shoes with a sign: “For every purchase of Toms, they will give a pair of new shoes to a child in need.”  I put a status update on Facebook about those shoes.
  4. Crate and Barrel- great furniture, home décor, dishware, and Christmas ornaments.  It was expensive.  You could go to Winners for same things.
  1. RW&Co.-nice clothes.  Hayden Christensen pictures everywhere because of his new fashion line.
  2. Pusch- sells Toms too for charity.  Expensive.
  3. Kiehl’s- sells skin cream.
  4. Guess- this is a really nice store.  It sells clothes, bags, jewelry, and perfume.  Good classy atmosphere.
  5. Michael Kors- nice store.
  6. Fossil- nice bags, jewelry, and wallets.
  1. Sage Natural Wellness- it sells natural skin cream and mists.  A location at West Edmonton Mall opened recently.
  2. Calendar Club- it sells stuffed animals, board games, colanders and agendas.
  3. Iviva Athletica- it sells expensive, colorful kid’s yoga clothes.  I thought the only location was in West Ed.
  4. STREET- it also sells Toms shoes for charity.  I thought there was only one in West Ed.
  1. Claire’s- starts selling cds, candy, and Christmas stockings.
  2. The Science Shop- toys, books, stuffed animals, board games, and calendars.
  3. Beauty Express- hair salon and sells nail polish.  I was told the one in West Ed closed down and this is the only one in Alberta.
  4. Lego store- there are lots of cool displays of castles and animals made.
  5. KIXS- the clothing store is closing and everything is on sale, except the Toms shoes for charity.
  6. Dynamite- really nice store.  It looks like the locations in West Ed and Kingsway mall.
  1. Stitches- they sold a lot of shoes.
  1. Areopostale- nice store.
  2. Rocky Mountain Soap Company- sells natural soaps, scrubs, and massage oil.
  3.  GEOX- sells shoes and jackets.  There’s one in West Ed.
  4. Zara- they sell really expensive clothes.
  5. BCBG Maxazria- they also sell perfume with their expensive clothes.
  6. Restoration Hardware- it sells very nice and class furniture.  The store is really dark and only has lighting on the beds.
City Centre mall: On Oct. 29, 2013 I went to this mall on my day off.

  1. A&W- I had a coupon to get a free coffee there.
  2. Lasik MD- I went there and got a brochure to learn more about it.  It can be $490-1690 for an eye.
  3. Bunches- this flower shop is renovating.
  4. HMV- this store moved into a smaller location in the mall.
  5. Bentley
  6. Franco Magelli- it’s a men’s store and sells expensive clothes.
  1. Groove Stone- they sell nice jewelry that’s locally made.
  2. Purdy’s Chocolates- it’s renovated.  Lots of purple and looks nice.
  3. Suzy Shier- they sell perfume now too.
  4. Fly Jeans Co.- the worker told me they opened a month ago and replaced Bellissma.  Expensive.
  5. Ardene
  6. The 4th floor is renovating like the Academy of Learning. 
  1. BFC Emporium- nice toys, stuffed animals, stationary.
  2. Fairweather- the store is closing for renovation and big sale.
  3. Cleo
  4. Design Jeweler’s opened.
  5. Coles
  6. Flurries- this store recently opened and sells boots.
  7. Winners.
Oct. 30, 2013
  1. Shoppers Drug Mart- both locations.
  2. Ricki’s.
  3. Aldo.
Happy: I feel good after writing about those shopping trips.  It’s like I’m reliving a good experience again.

Toms Shoes: Here’s the link: 


Dec. 1 Paul Walker: I went to work today and my co-worker Alex told me that The Fast and the Furious actor Paul Walker passed away yesterday because of a car accident.  He was the passenger.  When I heard that, I was so sad.  I thought: “Isn’t he like in his 30s?  Doesn’t he have a kid?”  Then I went to the break room and Global TV news was on and it reported that he’s dead.

I went home and Google him.  It turns out he’s 40 yrs old and has a 15 yr old daughter.  I was thinking about an interview he did when he was promoting Into the Blue in 2005 on the Ellen Degeneres show.  He seemed like a nice and friendly guy.

When a singer dies, I usually think: “That’s too bad.  Now he or she can’t make any more good music.”  When an actor dies, I usually think: “That’s too bad.  Now he or she can’t make any more good movies or TV shows.”  What I didn’t know was that he created a charity.

“Walker and (Roger) Rodas had attended a fundraiser benefiting victims of the recent typhoon in the Philippines. The event was held by Reach Out Worldwide, a charity Walker founded in 2010 to aid victims of natural disasters.”

1 comment:

kristinahojholt said...

Everyone loves what you guys are usually up too. This type of clever work and coverage! Keep up the wonderful works guys I've incorporated you guys to blogroll.
car service deals