Sunday, August 11, 2013

Sun Media/ replacements/ Edmonton elections

Aug. 1 Sun Media: I read in the business section of the newspaper that Sun Media is closing down some of their free 24 newspapers in certain cities like Edmonton, Calgary, and Ottawa.  What I didn't know was exactly when.  In this article it said Aug. 2.  I was a little disappointed that 24 will be closing down, because I was like: "Well what am I supposed to read on the bus on my way to work?"  There is still Metro newspaper.  There's no need to worry.  lol.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013/07/16/sun_media_closing_11_papers_cutting_360_jobs.html

Does anyone remember Dose?  It used to have free newspapers in 2005 and 2006.  Then it closed down, but it's still available on the internet.

http://www.dose.ca/

Hudson's Bay: I read that the Hudson's Bay Company is going to be buying Saks, the high- end American company.  It will show up in 2014.  There sure are a lot of buyouts this summer.  I already mentioned Loblaw buying Shoppers Drug Mart and Sobeys buying Safeway.

Aug. 2 24 News: Today's 24 News front page said: "THANK YOU, EDMONTON."  The subtitle was: "After today, 24 hours Edmonton will cease publication.  We thank you for your years of loyal reading."  I've been reading them for the past 5 yrs, since 2008.  It was when I  finished college and was working at the Soup place.  I always read it.  However, in 2010 I stopped because I was unemployed and read the newspapers my dad subscribed to.  Then when I started working at my restaurant job later in 2010, I started reading 24 again.

The "thank you Edmonton" made me think of The Simpsons.  It's where Groundskeeper Willy does a stand up comedy routine and no one laughs.  He gets angry and lashes out at the audience.

Willy: Oh, is that it?  You don't think Willy is funny unless he's on his hands and knees cleaning up your kids' puke?!
The audience laughs.
Willy: Oh, thank you everybody, you've been a great audience.

Aug. 3 Long weekends: I was thinking about how my friend said she didn't like how I leave messages on her phone thinking that she's available to talk on the weekends.  However, I leave messages to all my friends on the weekends with that message.  I don't know if any of you guys notice this, but I only call on Sat.  On Sat. I only work in the morning and I call in the afternoon or evenings.  
I never call on Sun. because I work all morning and well into the afternoon.  I am so tired when I come home, I just watch The Mentalist, Once Upon a Time, and The Simpsons.  When it's the summer or those shows are reruns, I watch Family Guy.

Working at my restaurant job, the weekends are always busy.  Don't get me started on long weekends, those are the busiest.  Easter weekend, Canada Day long weekend, Aug. long weekend, always busy.

Aug. 5 Restaurant tip: Today was so busy.  There was this line up outside.  On Family Day long weekend this yr, my family and I went to a Chinese restaurant called the Wok 'N Roll.  Quirky name, and the food was good.  However, we had to wait 15min for a table.
 
My family and I went to a Chinese restaurant called Tai Pan and the food was good too.  We went on a Thurs. in March, and there was no line.

My tip is this: If you want good service without any line ups, go during the middle of the week.

Aug. 6 Redundant workers: I want to add to this.  After I was laid off from the Soup place in 2010, I immediately got another food counter attendant job.  I'll call it Counter attendant #1 job.  I worked there for one Fri. morning.  I then came for next week's shift and the manager said she didn't need me anymore.  I was happy about it because I didn't really like it.  I was kind of surprised.  Now that I think about it, I thought the customers came in at a steady pace.  However, it wasn't very busy, so they might as well save money on labor and not keep me. 

It was not as obvious as Counter attendant #2 job.  The one where I worked for 3 hrs and 6 customers came in.

Work first, TV second: I watched a few episodes of The Vampire Diaries that I missed when it first aired on TV.  It aired in Jan. and I thought: "How come I missed these episodes?"  I then had to go back on my agenda and remembered that I was working at Call Centre #6 on those evenings. 

This obviously proves that I put work first, and TV second.  I could have watched the eps on ctv.ca, but I didn't.  This is quite a change compared to the days I worked at Call Centre #1 in 2005-2006.  I started working at 4pm-9pm, because I wanted to watch Dr. Phil and Maury.  I missed out on making money on crappy talk shows.  Now I don't miss out.

Replacements: This is a flashback of 2006.  I used to watch the soap opera The Young and the Restless back in 2003.  It was the summer time and I had free time so I picked up a TV show.  I then watched it here and there.  In 2006, the actress Christel Khalil quit the show so she could go to college. 

According to imdb.com, it says she got the show when she was 14 and I did the math.  She got this part in 2001.  She was on for 5 yrs.  I remember going on twop.com to read people's comments and there was an interview with her.  Someone made a comment about it: "Okay, so she wants to stop playing Lily, but she doesn't want anyone to play that role either?"

Can you imagine if that happened in any other job besides a character role on a TV show?  If anyone was to quit their job at a restaurant, or an office, and they said: "Though I'm quitting, I don't want anyone else to take my position."  Like what?  That would never happen in real life.  I know at my restaurant job, there are lots of people who work on and off during the school year.  The bosses might give a good reference for them, or say: "If you want to come back, we would hire you, if there is a position available."

TV industry: Yeah, well TV is different.  Sometimes there are "same character, different actor."  Sometimes there aren't.  For example, the TV show Charmed had the actress Shannon Doherty.  She wanted to quit after 3 yrs, and her character was killed off.  The show is about 3 witch sisters, and they replaced her with Rose McGowan as an unknown long- lost half-sister.  There were rumors that Doherty quit because she didn't get along with the actress Alyssa Milano. 

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0451092/bio

I also want to add that there are redundant characters that get written off.  My favorite Edmonton actor Eric Johnson was on Smallville for the first season and got written off because there wasn't much for his character to do.  He played Lana Lang's boyfriend Whitney
Fordman and he was more of an agent to the plot than a character.  He was the obstacle between Lana and Clark Kent.

Aug. 7: I want to add to that like someone is quitting their job as a market coordinator.

Person: Though I'm quitting, I don't want any of you guys to hire a new marketing coordinator now that I'm gone.

I know there is this whole attachment with a job if you've been working there a long time.  However, it's unrealistic to think that your duties that you used to do will not be taken over by someone else.

Aug. 8 Edmonton elections: I was talking to someone there about the 1 day job.  It's $175 for 8am-9pm job.  $175 divided 13hrs= $13.46/hr.

There is 1 hr of training to be Deputry Returning Officer.  There are multiple duties like being a door attendant, checking IDs, directing them to the right voting station, filling out forms, etc.  There may be some lifting with setting the voting stations.

The compensation is good, but the duties don't sound very interesting.  Well at least to me.

No comments: