Sunday, August 4, 2013

redundant workers/ bullying news

Jul. 25 Redundant workers: I was thinking about the Spice Girls.  When Geri/ Ginger Spice left, I remember reading something in the newspaper about the limo driver telling the tabloids that Geri left because she was getting nagged by Melanie Brown/ Scary Spice.  That's a rumor and not confirmed.  The limo driver got fired because he told the tabloids and he signed a contract where he wasn't supposed to talk about the Spice Girls.  Geri embarked a solo singing career with some success.

Years later, I was watching the Spice Girls Behind the Music.  Geri said: "I quit because I felt redundant.  I felt like they didn't need me anymore and that they could just go on without me."  I don't get that.  All the girls got to sing and I didn't feel like anyone was redundant.

I met a young woman at the Soup place who worked there for a short time.  She told me she worked at an office, and then later was laid off because they didn't need her.  There was hardly any work, and she said she was on Facebook a lot of time because there was no work.

I've experienced that myself.  In 2010, I worked at this small restaurant for a day.  I was scheduled to work for 6 hrs, but instead I got 3hrs.  There were like 6 customers that came in the total of 3hrs.  I was 1 of 3 workers working there that day.  I knew that when I call on Mon. to see if there are any shifts available, I was going to be dismissed because they didn't need me.  I was right.

Run-in: Today was my day off.  I decided to go to Staples in Oliver Square to recycle batteries and a pen because the one in downtown don't take anymore.  I got off a couple of blocks early.  I thought it was the next block over, but it was really 2 blocks over.  I was walking and then
I found a bank and I was to deposit money.  I go in and waited for a couple of min.  The guy behind the counter said: "Tracy?"

I then remembered him.  He was a supervisor from Call Centre #2 back in 2006.  He said he's been working at the bank for the past 7 yrs.  I told him I was working at a restaurant for the past few yrs.  Interesting.  I then asked what his name was, it's John.  That call centre closed back in 2008.

Jul. 29 Post Secret:

"I spent 4 years and over 100k for grad school, then landed my 'dream job' only to now realize that I am unhappy in yet ANOTHER career.  @%&$#!!!!"

Jul. 30 Bullying news: I think this belongs in my job email because it's a Yahoo article about "Wendy's customer defends server against bully, get frosties and food": 

"On Sunday, Kailee Whiting, 19,shared her story on Reddit, writing: 'Stood up for an innocent employee at Wendy's who was being bullied by a customer.  he gave us free frosties and chicken nuggets.'  Whiting also posted a photo of the two shakes sitting atop a piece of paper that read, 'You guys are AWESOME. (Hope you like vanilla.)'"
"I thought it was really sweet of the cashier,” Whiting's girlfriend, 18-year-old Katie Light, told Yahoo! Shine. “It was nice to know that she was happy that we stood up for her. Karma gave us something back."
 According to Light, the customer yelled, "If you weren’t ready to take my order, you shouldn’t have called me up!"  "We were very shocked that an older woman would even be so immature," Light explained.
My opinion: It turns out there was a power outage earlier, and everything was backed up in the kitchen.  I will give points to Kailee Whiting and Katie Light stood up for the server.  If I see a long line to get food, I won't get food there.  I find a shorter line.  Also I don't like shopping or going to the restaurants when it's really busy like the weekends.  Go during the week, and it's not as busy and you get better service.  That's my experience from working at retail and restaurants.
Here are some comments:
Canadian Patriot: As an older man, I have seen it, time and time again, how AGE DOES NOT EQUAL MATURITY!
Chris S: I wonder what the old woman does for a living. I guess she works for a perfect company where things always run smoothly and she is a perfect employee that never makes mistakes.
Josephine: Some people take politeness as a weakness. Good for the teens

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/healthy-living/wendy-s-customer-defends-server-against-bully--gets-frosties-and-food-212128752.html

Job interview: I went to one yesterday.  The interview was average.  Prior to it, I did research by going to their website.  She didn't ask anything about the website.  She did ask good questions from a list, but she didn't write down my answers.  I arrived there 15 min. early.

The questions were:

"What are the biggest changes you have made?" 
"What are the biggest obstacles you had to overcome to achieve something?"

The first question I would say I tried a number of temporary jobs in 2012.  The second question I mentioned how I struggled in math in high school and how I had a math tutor and my sister helping me with my homework.

Rejection: I found this old Job Boom newsletter from Apr. 2013.  It's called: "Powerful people may be less fazed by rejection."  Here's an excerpt:

In one experiment, subjects were assigned either high- or low-level positions in a workplace scenario, then told they hadn't been invited to an office happy hour gathering. While low-level employees reported feeling snubbed, the high-power subjects were relatively unfazed and more likely to seek out other social bonding activities to improve relations with their coworkers.

"When rejected instead of accepted, subordinates reported lower self-esteem and greater negative emotion, but supervisors did not show an adverse reaction to rejection," Kuehn says.

My opinion:
I'm not a really powerful person, but I have gotten so used to rejection, that I'm not really fazed by it.  I have been rejected a lot by constantly going to job interviews and not getting hired, getting my script rejected, not getting into college programs, etc.

I am very used to not getting my way, or at least not getting my way the first time around.  I was also raised with an older sister who was harsh and critical, so I have developed thick skin from her.

http://lifewise.canoe.ca/Work/2013/01/21/20516526-relaxnews.html

How to be productive:
I think this article I have read before, but it gives some good tips when you lose motivation.

1. Update your to-do list.
2. Complete routine tasks.
3. Network.
4. Catch up on industry news.
5. Re-evaluate your goals.

http://career.ottawasun.jobboom.com/workplace/challenges/2011/08/30/18619886.html

Moving on:
It's about quitting your job.

1. Keep your head in the game.
2. Pulled in two directions.
3. A graceful exit.

I like the last paragraph:

"On a psychological level, leaving a job involves some degree of loss. If you are leaving an organization involuntarily, it is easy to let anger or depression affect the last days on the job. While it might be fun to indulge in fantasies of burned files and shredded documents, a scorched earth policy will not benefit anyone. Ethics aside, even subtle sabotage may be illegal or place your benefits/severance package in jeopardy. Remember also, that it would be your friends and colleagues who would have to clean up the mess, causing them to lose time on their own workload."

My opinion: This stood out for me, because it applied to that time I worked at Call Centre #4 and was dismissed after one day.  I was mad because they said 9 completed surveys wasn't enough and I fantasized about telling off the boss that his call centre will close down.  I didn't. 
That's good, because 2 yrs later I did apply there again and the boss didn't recognize me.  Or if he did, he didn't mention it.
http://career.edmontonsun.jobboom.com/survival-guide/starting-new-job/2011/06/07/18250836.html


No comments: