Tuesday, August 6, 2013

disk/ living in your head/ J.K. Rowling

Jul. 18 Disk: Yesterday I was going through my Rain script on my disk which I haven't done in months.  I've only been writing on paper.  My white 3.5 floppy disk worked when I opened 2 documents.  Then I opened my black disk.  Then I went back to the white disk and it didn't work.  Now I'm trying it again today and it isn't working. 

Goodbye white disk.  I think I had this since 2000.  Yeah, well at least I copy and pasted my writing onto my black disk.  That's why I also keep my handwritten pieces if I don't print it out.

Jul. 19 Living in your head: I was reading the Screenwriting Goldmine newsletter by Phil Gladwin.  He says this on the Jun. 5, 2013:

"You know what the absolutely hardest part of being a writer is? 
It's not the coming up with the ideas. 
It's not the actual writing of the scripts. 
It's not even making the industry connections that you'll need to
have a career. 
The hardest part of being a writer is that, if you have any career 
at all, you will most likely end up spending large swathes of 
your time alone, in a room, trying to make the voices in your 
head talk to you. 
That's a very strange thing to do with your life. 
I know that it perhaps doesn't sound like a believable problem 
when you're starting out. 
If you've got a busy job and you live for writing, the thought 
of great swathes of time to indulge your passion can seem
highly desirable. 
But being alone as much as you need to have a writing career may
prove rather more arduous over time than you would imagine. 
I'm a solitary person, I do enjoy my own company (and I'm certainly
not one of those people who must connect or else they think they're
going mad!) but in the last couple of years I have to admit I'm
finding it much, much more difficult to lock myself away in a room
when there's a whole, wide world out there. 
It's sort of snuck up on me that being alone and writing is
actually quite a lonely business!"

He then does these workshops.

So if I had to pick my Ultimate Gold Plated Desert Island Writing
Tip it would be this:
"Writing Is Great, But Don't Give Up Your Life! 
Enjoy the work, enjoy the privilege of being able to wander in your
imagination, but don't overdo it.  
And to be specific: unless you're facing a terrible deadline don't
spend more than six hours a day writing. You're looking for a long,
balanced career here, not a brief flurry and a complete mental
break-down.
And most importantly do this one simple thing: Make sure you get
out of your house and talk to some people, face to face, every
single day."

My opinion:
That is the tip, I have to remember "Writing is great, but don't give up your life."  It's like as a kid and teenager, I didn't have lots of freedom and money.  That's why I read all these books and experience going to places, people (characters), and cool things.  In a way, I was living in my head, but I was doing something, reading.

I do have lots of job experience.  I meet lots of people through school, work, and just being in a public place.  Watching TV is like experiencing.  When I used to watch Cops, I feel like I'm really on a ride-a-long and I feel the excitement.  However, I also got angry watching the people disrespect the cops so I had to quit watching it. 

Basically I go out and live my life, and then I write about it on my blog.  Or I kind of fictionalize it in my script.

Jul. 21: There are some things in life you will never experience like being a spy.  That's why you're watching all these Jason Bourne movies and you can watch fight scenes, car chases, and explosions.

Or you will never really go to Hogwart's and play Quidditch like in Harry Potter.

J.K. Rowling: I'm sure all of you heard by now that she wrote a book called The Cuckoo's Calling under her pseudonym Robert Galbraith.  I was reading the article "Chamber of Secrets" by Robert J. Wiersema in the Globe and Mail on Jul. 20, 2013.  It talked about how writing under a pseudonym is liberating.  You don't have to conform to people's expectations or have to meet their high expectations.

I've read articles about Rowling is upset and angry that people found out that she wrote it.  Someone from her law firm told his wife's friend, and the friend then went on Twitter and told it.  Now The Cuckoo's Calling is being bought because it's so popular now.

Yeah, well it could be worse about learning people's real identities.  Remember the James Bond movie Skyfall?  The disc with all those NATO agents was stolen.  It has all the identities of the agents and they were being released and they were getting killed.

Jul. 29 Internet: I was reading in the Globe and Mail about how the internet affects publishing.  It was in the business section.  It said: "The internet is an all you can read buffet."  lol.  That is a good comparison. 

Jul. 30 Google Chrome: This morning my Mozilla internet wasn't working very well.  So I finally used Google Chrome.  My brother uses it and says it's faster.  I feel hesitant about change, but this is just the internet browser.  It's fast and good.  I can get used to it like my new Yahoo mail version.  lol.

Detective fiction rules: 
I got this from Linked In.  Here are: "The Ten rules of Golden Age Detective Fiction."  Here's one:

"The criminal must be someone mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to follow."
http://metrowir.com/2013/06/21/the-ten-rules-of-golden-age-detective-fiction/

Aug. 2 Blue disk: I tried to save my Rain script on a blue disk, and it stopped working.  I copy and pasted random text and saved it, then try to open it.  It worked that day.  Then I tried to open it the day after and it didn't work.  I think I had this disk since 1995.  It had a good run.

Aug. 4 Why we watch TV: I was reading in the Globe and Mail article called "Why fascinating creeps trump the good guys, every time" by Geoff Pevere.  It was published on Aug. 2, 2013.  This adds to my "Living in your head" part.  He says:

"...of what makes us want to watch fictional movie characters in the first place: whether positive or negative, they do things we, in our real lives, never get to do, and our fascination is based in observing extremes engaged with and pursued, and not reflecting
our own experience."

No comments: