Friday, March 9, 2012

job search/ money for college/ racism

Feb. 28 Job search: I've mentioned it before. If you write about your stress before a job interview or a test occurs, you will be able to relieve stress and be able to focus on the interview or test.

Earlier on the phone, the person said the hours are weekdays. That means I can still work at the restaurant on the weekends. The pay is a little bit higher in the hourly wage. At the restaurant, I would make a bit more with my tips. However, I did some math and I would be making about the same if I worked both jobs at the same time.

The pro is that, if I get this office job, it is more related to my writing and computer skills. If I keep working there, I will learn something new and it will build my office experience up on my resume. I get the best of both worlds since I have both jobs.

Feb. 29 Good news: I called one of the places I did a job interview for on Mon. He wasn't there, and then I missed him on Tues. Today I called, and asked if he made a hiring decision yet, and he said yes. He gave it to somebody who had quit and wants to come back.

He did say they're hiring a few months later, so he will make a note of it on my resume to interview me again. They went with a old employee, so it's not personal on me. So that's good.

Job interview: I went to a job interview at an office today. It was like an hr long interview. I was told that it's challenging, and don't take this job if you are looking for something temporary. There's a lot of training involved. I sat in the office and did a little of a job shadow. I said I was still interested in it.

Imagination: I need to imagine what it would be like if I got an office job. I need to focus. I was thinking about the law of attraction. If I got an office job, I would work there on weekdays and work at the restaurant on the weekends. On my free time I wouldn't be looking for an office job like I have been for the past 2 yrs.

I may send one email a week about business and one about comedy. I have to keep writing about careers and the economy even when I have an office job. It's something I'm interested in.

What would I do in my free time that's productive? I would be trying to the get The Vertex Fighter script produced.

Food trucks: I got this article from Katina Solomon through my blog. It's called "10 Most Unique Food Truck Cuisines." It's related to my job search/ business email because I remember reading an article in the newspaper about it. The newspaper article said the pros are that you don't have to pay rent for a restaurant. You just have a truck. You get to go to where the people are like at festivals.

The cons are that you do have to get a license to be at a certain place with your food truck. It also reminded me of the Microbusiness Training Centre. A couple said they wanted to start a food truck, and if it went well, they will expand to a restaurant.

Sleep at work: Alissa Alvarez sent this article to me through my blog. It's called "10 Big Businesses that Let Employees Nap on the Job." It mentions Google, and Ben and Jerry's. It also mentions Zappos, that company was profiled on 20/20. I wrote about it.

http://www.onlinemba.com/blog/10-big-businesses-that-let-employees-nap-on-the-job/

Money for college: Kaitlyn Cole sent this through my blog. It's called "10 Big Reasons Parents Shouldn't Save for College." It's a good article that I would find in the business section of the newspaper. It's about prioritizing and being effective in saving money in the right things. Save for retirement first, buy life insurance, and pay down debt.

You can put money in your RRSP to build your retirement fund. Then when your kids need college money, you can take money out from your RRSP. You can't exactly take money out of your college fund. It mentions you aren't required to pay for your kid's college fund, but you are required to save for retirement.

If you have kids, it's a helpful article. If you don't have kids, it's still a helpful article about how to save money.

http://www.onlineuniversities.com/blog/2012/02/10-big-reasons-parents-shouldnt-save-for-college/

Mar. 1 Stress: I read this in a teen magazine years ago. I think it was from All About You. "Stress is often self-induced" as in you cause your own stress and make yourself feel it. It was kind of crazy today. We were short one person today at work, but we were able to manage.

Then I got a call from this company which was a little bit into the industrial part of the neighborhood. I have to take the bus, and then walk for 10min. There aren't really any sidewalks, so I decided to not call back. I think it was for a job interview. Sometimes I apply to places where the ads don't tell where it's located. So when I do get a call back, I look up on Google maps and it's too far away.

Another thing that stressed me out is that yesterday I got 2 calls on my cell phone from 604 area code that's from British Columbia. I left one message on one. Then I called the other one a few times and it just keeps ringing. So I deleted the numbers and not call them again.

Calm: At least one thing relieved stress for me today. I thought there was an event I was supposed to go to today. I called them and it's really next week.

I emailed my friend Neil again, and it says I can't send it. But then I took a break and went back to my job search and blog. Then I went to email him again, and I noticed I missed a letter in the email address. Now I can email him.

Mar. 2: The other day I got a phone call from a company in Vancouver. She says she's coming to Edmonton the next day and will call me again to do a little phone interview. I told her to call me after 3pm. She didn't call me at all. The company will have a location here.

Mar. 3 Pros and cons: After work, I went and did some job training at this call centre. It's a switchboard.

Cons:

1. I don't really like it.
2. It seems really hard to learn the computer program.
3. The computer program is only used for this office and nowhere else. It's not even like Opera system that's used in hotels. (I learned hotels use it when I did job interviews there.)

Pros:

1. So what if you don't like it? You are getting paid and this is more useful of your computer skills and using your mind.
2. So what if the computer program is hard? It's your first day. It might get easier later on.
3. So what if you learned a computer system and can't be used anywhere else? It's still good to keep learning, and growing, and challenging yourself.

Lesson: The lesson I learned from high school is this: "It's good to keep challenging yourself. If you don't, you will become stupid and lazy. Then when a challenge occurs, you will be scared of it and avoid it at all costs."

Life isn't always going to be easy. You may skate through some areas in life, but not all.

Mar. 8 Question: The question about work is: "Do you look forward to work? Do you dread coming to work?"

If you dread coming to work, then you must really hate it. You should look for another job.

Mar. 9 Racism: It was crazy today. I got on the bus to go home from work. I bumped into one of my old co-workers on the bus. The bus then jolted, and this little girl ran into my leg. They're a Native couple and the man asked: "Are you okay?" I thought he was talking to me, so I said: "I'm fine." He was really talking to the little girl.

So it was my mistake, whatever. I said: "It was a joke." Then the man starts dissing my race about how I'm "off the boat." I said: "I'm born here." Then he says: "That doesn't mean you're from here."

I knew he was going to keep going, so I got up to the bus driver. I told him what happened. I then sat at the front of the bus. About 20min later, the bus security came, and they got the couple and the kid off. I told the other officer my side of the story. The bus drove off.

This white woman in her 20s was sitting by me and asked if I was okay. I said: "Yeah, I'm fine." She said: "Yeah, well I don't think they should be acting like that with a kid around."

Lesson: I hope they learned a lesson as in don't get angry easily, and don't be racist.

Solution: So the thing is, every time you are treated badly or see something wrong, go tell someone in authority. Like last week, when there's a fight, I call security. Or that time a co-worker is yelling and swearing at me, I report it to the manager. You have a voice, use it.

No comments: