Sunday, March 11, 2012

challenge/ job likeability/ body language

Mar. 3 Challenge:

Flashback: I got a flashback of gr. 4. There is a spelling test of 100 words. The first 20 are really easy and short words like "rain." This new girl Robyn was frustrated and bored. She kept saying: "This is so easy." The rest of the other kids were saying: "It's going to get harder." It looks like she likes to be challenged.

The Simpsons: This also reminds me of The Simpsons where Bart and Lisa went to military school. Bart goes there because he's forced to and Lisa goes there because she wants to be challenged.

Bart: I thought you wanted a challenge.
Lisa: Yeah, a challenge that I could achieve.

Well, it's not much of a challenge then. lol.

School: It really depends on what the challenge is. I just talked to one of Dan L.'s friends who took a magazine writing class. She saw that it was going to be really hard, and she doesn't want to be a magazine writer, so she dropped the class. The class was an elective and not a requirement.

Same goes with me. I had to take one of three electives: computer research, rhetoric, or technical writing. I took rhetoric because I've never done it. Then it was really hard, so I didn't do well in it. I then decided to take computer research which was level 2 of another computer class I did. I did well in level 1, and then I did well in level 2.

Physically/ mentally: If you want a job that's not physically demanding, then work at an office or a call centre where you sit all day. If you want a job that's physical, then work at a restaurant.

If you want a job that's mentally challenging, work at an office or a science lab. Restaurants can be mentally challenging. If you work as a cook, you are thinking and keeping up with the rush of orders. As a server, you are thinking about getting orders and dealing with customers. You have to prioritize as the customers are the first people to deal with. Other tasks like washing coffee pots may be second on the list.

Call Centre #5: If you want a job that's not physically or mentally demanding, go and work at Call Centre #5. You sit all day and then you have to wait 1 or 2 min. for the computer to make a phone call. You are pretty much zoning out between calls by watching the two TVs there.

The other 4 call centres I worked at were mentally challenging because you have to achieve the goal of getting as much completed surveys done. However, I can't say Call Centre #5 was easy money. It was in 2010 when I worked there and the wage was a bit higher than min. wage. I was also dismissed after 2 days and my friend was dismissed after 3 days.

Mar. 5 Rant: I mentioned earlier that Job Bank has been down for awhile. Now it's back up. I then started typing in things into the search engine, and it kept saying that there's an unexpected error. Damn.

Job likeability: I was thinking about this blog comment that Anonymous made on my blog on July 10, 2010. (I had to look up that one.)

"I mean this in the most polite way possible: You need to start living your life. Move out. Get, and keep, a job (even if you don't like it, that's how it works)." He goes on longer.

I want to tell him, that I have worked at jobs that I don't like and I just keep working there until I have to quit to go to school full-time or I get laid off.

Call Centre #2: For example back in 2006, I worked at Call Centre #2 for 5 months. After 3 months I started really disliking it. I worked for another 2 months until I quit to go to school full-time.

Call Centre #3: Same goes for Call Centre #3. I worked there full-time for the first 2 weeks because of the projects we're working on. Then I only got part-time and worked at night. I disliked it because I thought I was full-time. Then they started cancelling my shifts due to lack of work. Then one of my supervisors told me to get more completes by: "You have to lie your ass off."

After 3 months, they didn't give me any shifts at all, but I didn't quit. I kept calling once at the beginning to see if I got shifts.

Fruit Place: Most recently over the holidays, I worked at the Fruit Place for 2 weeks. I didn't like it, but I can suffer through 7 days of work in a period of 2 weeks. I kept telling myself it was temporary.

Mar. 6 Hospital: Maybe it's the law of attraction. I mentioned before back in 2010 I applied at some hospitals and I got a call to come into an interview for a food service position. I had gotten hired at Restaurant #1 and didn't want to interview for another position. So I turned it down.

My self-confidence did kind of take a hit when I was unemployed for months and I didn't think I would do well at a hospital. Now that I have worked at my current job for over a year, my confidence is back up.

I applied at some hospitals a few weeks ago and I got a call back for the same food service position. I did the interview this time. They asked really good questions and I thought the interview went well. It's mainly about availability to be able to work here. I want to work at the restaurant one day a week.

References: I gave them my references and I called my 2 managers from the Soup place today. One picked up and we chatted a bit. I asked to get an email address in case they changed their phone numbers for whatever reason.

Mar. 7 Career counseling: Here's a mild rant. I have a career counseling session today and it took me 30 min. to get there. I'm there and I'm 30min early. The entire time I'm reading the newspaper. I sit down for a min. and then I get a call that she's cancelling. So I reschedule next week, and I would have to leave work a little bit earlier to get there.

I'm not totally annoyed because I was being productive by reading the newspaper, and it's not too cold waiting for the bus. I didn't miss any work so I didn't lose out on making any money.

Temporary: I will have a temporary job that will start later. I just called them to get some more info because I asked: "What if I'm not good at it?" I've never done it before, but the person calmed me down about the training session.

Driving rant: I was looking for a job on Kijiji and I found this rant. It's from a woman who says that if you want a job in Edmonton, you need a car and a driver's license. She says she lost friends and was in car accidents herself, so she doesn't drive. She rants about how if you have a car, you will get hired even if you don't have experience.

My advice is that if you want a job without a car, you will be able to find one. It's the saying: "Opportunities will always surround if you know where to look." I've been there myself and I have found a lot of positions that don't need a car. Keep your head up. I emailed that comment to her ad.

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-customer-service-UPSET-DISGUSTED-FRUSTRATED-IN-EDMONTON-W0QQAdIdZ361206154

Job interview: Today I went to a job interview for an office. It was an okay interview. The pay, shifts, location is good. I think I can handle the duties.

Body language: Larry Dignan emailed me this article through my blog. It's called "44 Body Language Mistakes You're Probably Making." It's very helpful and increases your emotional intelligence. You can read people. Some are tips for dating, specific tips for men and women. It gives tips for work and job interviews.

http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com/2012/03/06/44-body-language-mistakes-youre-probably-making/

No comments: