Thursday, November 14, 2013

Plow and Harvest/ the internet and your job



Nov. 4 Plow and Harvest: I was reading the Metro on Nov.1, 2013.  The article was called “American Billionare’s Local Venture a Mysterious Failure” by Omar Mouallem.  This restaurant opened for 2 months in west Edmonton.  It was 200 seats.  I don’t remember hearing that it opened. 

In the article it said that it charged $20 for a sandwich, pickle, and drink and it wasn’t even full service.  Someone on Yelper said: “This place seems to be only open for some financial technicality…like the owner needs it to fail miserably to reap the tax benefit or something.”

The $20 hot dogs were supposed to be a “marketing experiment.”  I went to the internet and found some bad reviews here.  There were a few good ones.


That’s the thing with restaurants, they are hard to get to open and stay open.

Nov. 6 The internet and your job: I was reading in the Metro on Nov. 5, 2013 and it said: “1 in 3 employers rejected candidates based on something they found about them online.”

On Nov. 6, 2013, I read in Metro about newly –elected school trustee James Andre in rural Alberta for sending racist, homophopic, and sexist tweets.  He says: “I’m deeply sorry for what happened.  I don’t want people to get an impression of me, because that’s not really me.  They’re offensive.  There’s no doubt about it and it’s something that I should have thought of.”

Some of them were his own, but some of them were retweets from other people.  He disses black people, make reference to Auschwitz, and gay sex.

My opinion: That guy is so stupid.  Don’t you know that anything you write about race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, and politics are going to be offensive?  That’s why I hardly ever write about that.  It did make me think: “What about all those times I copy and pasted those snarky comments about Dateline: To Catch a Predator?  Those are offensive.  However, I did always say: ‘This is going to be offensive so I’m forewarning you.’”

I always say that before I tell you what I saw on MADtv, Family Guy, and Tosh.O.  I did stop watching Tosh.O because I didn’t find it funny.  I only found 1 or 2 jokes that are good.  I occasionally watch Family Guy if I have time.  MADtv got cancelled years ago, but I do write about it here and there.

Jessica Sutta: She’s from the girl group the Pussycat Dolls.  I’m listening to her talk in the Male Room while I’m researching companies.  She talks about how she went to a performing arts high school, and she got on a soap opera where Transformers star Meghan Fox played her sister.

I’m going to put this on my inspirational quotes.  She said at the end of this Part 1 clip:

“You have to be on top of your game, that’s how you become successful, you don’t give up.  People are going to say no to you, and you’re going to say thank you very much.  But you move on to the next opportunity.  Things happen for a reason, hard work pays off.”


Here’s Part 2 where she talks about her passion being singing and dancing, but now she’s focused on acting:


Here’s Part 3.  It’s where she talks about wanting to inspire girls from 12-17yrs old with her music who wants to be a singer like she is, because when she was that age, she was inspired by Paula Abdual and Madonna.  She also sings a little bit acapella at the end.  She sounds good.


My opinion: This could have been put into my fun email of the week, but this feels inspirational about one person following and achieving her passion.  So I put it in my job email.

Hollis Jane: This is a Yahoo article I found where “Backup Dancer Hollis Jane on Why she Turned Down the Miley Cyrus tour.”  Jane describes the job as degrading and she did leave in tears.  She is a midget and here’s some of her own words:

She felt during the performance she was "being stared and laughed at for all of the wrong reasons. I was being looked at as a prop…as something less than human."

She wrote, "For the first time I felt truly ashamed of being a little person. We were being used simply because we were little. It felt like society still saw us as a joke, despite the fact there is literally nothing different about me other than the fact I am small." Until Jane got to rehearsals, she was left in the dark as far as what kind of role she was taking in the performance.

Cyrus's VMAs performance was heavily influenced by her obsession with the outrageous live variety show "Beacher's Madhouse," which combines burlesque dancers, fire-breathers, people in animal costumes, a host of imitators, dancers and performers who are little people, and "The Tallest Burlesque Dancer in the World," Amazon Ashley, who was recruited for Cyrus's live shows. Cyrus has been a frequent attendee of Beacher's since 2011, throwing her 19th birthday there. Hollis stated in her AMA that Beacher's was just as degrading, given that the show included a "Midget Bar" and little people dressed as Oompa-Loompas who "fly through the air" for bottle service.




My opinion: I feel sorry for Jane.  It does give me some perspective like though I’ve had jobs I hated, I never felt degraded.

Feelings: Yesterday I worked the whole day, and I was tired.  I didn’t do my job search at all, and only read the newspaper.  Today I worked the whole day and am tired.  I got off work a little bit earlier than yesterday though.  However, since yesterday I didn’t do my job search, I was feeling really motivated to do it today.

Social work: I was reading the Metro and there’s an article about social work.  I did talk to one of my co-workers and she said she did a 2 yr program of it.  She worked as one for 6 months and didn’t really like it.  After work, she felt depressed and couldn’t really separate herself from her work.  She felt sorry for the people she was helping.

Social work doesn’t really pay well, but if you have a passion for helping people with mental health, addictions, etc., then go into it. 

Nov. 10 Job fact: Metro started putting “Random biz fact of the day” in their newspaper.  On Nov. 6, 2013 it said:” 250 CVs are received on average for each position” by Behiring/Nexcarer.

I think it’s the average like the highest sought after job to the lowest sought after job all combined together.

Starbucks: On Nov. 7, 2013 the Metro said that Starbucks plans to hire 10,000 veteran and military spouses in the next 5 yrs.

Amazon: They’re now starting to deliver groceries that are non-perishable.  That’s convenient. 

Wal-mart: On Nov. 1, 2013, in Metro “Disabled Walmart greeter gets job back after outcry.”  Matt Wood in Colorado is disabled and got his back because he was fired after clocking in late after lunches.  He suffered a brain injury in a car crash and worked in Walmart since 2008.  “His wife says new managers complained about his time management.”

Well at least he got his job back.  He’s been there for 5 yrs, that’s good.

No comments: