Thursday, November 7, 2013

job interviews/ TV news/ Make Something Edmonton



Oct. 28 Job interviews:
 
Hair salon: I did a job interview last week.  I think it went well.  I arrived on time and looked nice.  I think I can  do the job and can learn it.  There are 2 days and 2 nights to work, and 1 weekend day alternating.

Pros:
1. It's a stepping stone.  If I work at this receptionist position for a long time, I can put this on my resume.   I can stay with the company long-term and grow within it and learn.

2. The pay is fine, and I have to pay half of my benefits and the company pays the other half.

3. I can still work at the restaurant one day a week.

4. The latest that I would have to stay is 9pm or 9:15pm.

5. It's easy to get to, I only have to take one bus.

Spa: I did an interview here.  It was a holistic spa.  The hours were part-time.  Two shifts ended at 8pm.  It was kind of far where I had to take a bus and an LRT to get there.  It was a little New Age.

Oct. 30 Journalism: Yesterday I talked to my friend Dan L. on the phone and I told him about journalism.  I didn’t even say the Grandpa Simpson joke: “The newspaper?!  That’s going to die before I do!”  He said he had a friend who is a great writer for the Metro, and she got laid off.  Then I told him what Grandpa Simpson said.

TV news: I thought: “How about TV news?”  I went to CBC’s website, and to see if there are any jobs in Edmonton.  There are only 3 jobs in Edmonton.  Two of them are a TV host.  If you want to be a TV host, you have to a degree.  Here’s what it says on the website: 

“We're looking for a candidate with the following: 
  • A university degree or equivalent.
  • Five years of comparable and relevant experience that demonstrates knowledge of the broadcasting industry and an understanding and awareness of issues and events particular to the region and/or the type of program being hosted.
  • Excellent reporting, interviewing and writing skills.  
  • Ability to present material with creditability and authority in a range of situations.
  • Ability to generate lively discussion on air.
  • Superb analytical skills and ability to make complex subjects easily understood.
  • A strong presentation style and ease with live coverage.
  • Ability to generate original and innovative material.
  • A demonstrated ability to originate new story ideas and establish a track record in breaking news stories and gather information from a variety of sources.
  • Ability to work effectively under pressure and deadlines.
  • Strong interpersonal and team playing skills as well as creativity and flexibility
  • Ability to work various shifts and overtime”
https://cbc.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl

My opinion: The question is this: “What did you think being a TV news host would require?”  I don’t know.  I didn’t think you would need a degree.  I did think there would be a lot of pressure, deadlines, various shifts and overtime.  “Ability to generate original and innovative material” sounds like being a writer.
The other job they’re hiring for is a switcher/director.

24 News: I’m sure all of you know about 24 News closing some of their newspapers like the one in Edmonton.  On Aug. 3, 2013, the 24 newspaper box at my bus stop was removed.

Nov. 4 Law office: I did a job interview at a little job office last week.  I was kind of debating if I should go to it.  I had to wake up at around 5am so I could get to work early because the other department needed me.  I also woke up at 12:30am because I needed to use the washroom and I couldn’t get back to sleep. 
The job was also a temporary 1 week job.  I was putting obstacles in front of myself.  I decided to go to it, because if I didn’t I would always think: “What if?”  I was curious to see the place.  I went there and I did impress the interviewer.  She saw my resume and said: “Oh, you speak Cantonese?”  

The duties were answer phones, and take payments.  I did learn that there would be confrontational people I would be dealing with, even though we would be helping them.

She said that she would call all the interviewees back, because the job was to start really soon.  I did get a call and she said that I didn’t get hired because they were looking for someone with some law experience.
That’s okay.  I did not anticipate she would ask the question if I knew anything about law.  The only thing that came to my mind was that I did take Legal Issues for Writers as an elective in Professional Writing and Tort law came to my mind.  If I did say that, she would ask: “What is Tort Law?”  And I would have to say: “Uh, I think it’s about domestic issues?”  So I didn’t say that at all because I wasn’t 100% sure what is Tort Law.

I went to Wikipedia: 

A tort, in common law jurisdictions, is a civil wrong[1] which unfairly causes someone else to suffer loss or harm resulting in legal liability for the person who commits the tortious act, called a tortfeasor. Although crimes may be torts, the cause of legal action is not necessarily a crime as the harm may be due to negligence which does not amount to criminal negligence. The victim of the harm can recover their loss as damages in a lawsuit. In order to prevail, the plaintiff in the lawsuit must show that the actions or lack of action was the legally recognizable cause of the harm. The equivalent of tort in civil law jurisdictions is delict.


Make Something Edmonton: I was reading the Edmonton Journal and found this ad.  I went to the website because it sounded like there could be jobs there:

“Make Something Edmonton grew out of a volunteer task force of Edmontonians, who worked together to build a solution to Edmonton’s image and reputation challenges.

In 2012, then-Mayor Stephen Mandel asked Amy Shostak and Chris LaBossiere to assemble and lead a group of volunteers to find a single, uniting story we can all tell about Edmonton. The story arrived quickly. Amy and Chris decided to inspire, encourage and provoke Edmontonians to prove it, in multiple ways, to do what they had always done and what they had always most loved about the city. They invited Edmontonians with ideas for community projects, business startups, festivals and events to just do it. Make Something Edmonton would be a place to inspire, collect and celebrate new projects.

Do. Participate. Ask for help. Help.”

Q: What is Make Something Edmonton about?

A: Edmontonians love it here. But if you ask them, they have trouble saying why. We need to change this, and it starts with giving Edmontonians like you a compelling story you can tell about this place, proudly and confidently. That's what Make Something Edmonton does: it gives you a focal point and a common language to tell our story and confidently answer the question, "Why Edmonton?"
 

My opinion: I went through the website, and it’s good.  Though I don’t see any jobs.  If you have a small business, you can send it to them.

No comments: