Sunday, January 13, 2013

inspirational women/ workaholic/ Linked In

Jan. 3 Inspirational women: Liz Nutt sent me this article "8 Inspirational Women in Business."

1. Ruth Handler- she created Barbie "... because she believed that young girls should have dolls with breasts to increase self-confidence later in life. And she’s also the co-founder, with her husband, of the toy company giant Mattel. Later in life, she helped develop a prosthetic breast implant for mastectomy and cancer survivors."

2. Chelsea Handler -comedienne/ TV host.
3. Safra A. Catz- software systems guru.

4. Indra Nooyi- "Born in India, the chairman and CEO of PepsiCo has been credited with a 72% rise in the company’s annual revenue (from 2000 to 2006)" and is on "board of the World Economic Forum and the Lincoln Center, as well as co-chairing the World Justice Project."

5. Martha Stewart- she's a billionaire with her home-making ideas and products.
6. Sheryl Sandberg- Worked for Google and Facebook.
7. Jill Abramson-  The first female executive editor of The New York Times.
8. Oprah- from being raised in poverty, she now had a successful talk show, TV network, and magazine.  She donates millions of dollars to charity and informs people of how to "live your best life" with her TV and magazine.

Hate your job: Carol Brown sent me this article "10 Hidden Reasons Why You Might Hate your Job."  There are also solutions to it.

1. You're bored.
2. Your job is unstable.
3. It promotes bad habits.
4. You're not growing.
5. There's no reward for hard work.
6. You have no personal life.
7. Your job description has changed.
8. The company isn't a good match.
9. Your work goes against your values.
10. Work feels meaningless.

http://www.onlinecollege.org/2012/06/14/10-hidden-reasons-why-you-might-hate-your-job/

Quote: This was from "Inspirational quotes (Part 10)":

“The prospect of a long day at the beach makes me panic.  There is no harder work I can think of than taking myself off to somewhere pleasant, where I am forced to stay for hours and ‘have fun.’” –Phillip Lopate (U.S critic and essayist.)

As a kid and teen, I was about having fun.  Now I'm more focused on work, career, making money, and saving money.  I have said: "Work as much as you can, and save as much as you can."  My friend Angela said: "That sounds kind of sad."  Like you need a work- life balance.  In my case, I don't make a lot of money, so I follow my motto.

Workaholic: Carol Brown sent me this article "12 Reasons being a Workaholic isn't a Virtue." 

1. There's more to life than work.
2. Being a workaholic can be very stressful.
3. Achievement isn't everything.
4. A mind that never gets a break, may not be at it's best.
5. If you live to work, then you're missing out on the best parts of life.

6. Working can be an addiction.
7. Working too much can take away benefits so much work brings.
8. Work shouldn't be a prison sentence.
9. Burning out won't help the bottom line.
10. Work is about quality, not quantity.

11. You're not participating in your own life.
12. Excess is rarely a good thing.

I know all that.  I do take breaks.  I do my job search online for an hr.  Then I listen and dance to some music.  Turn off the computer and go read the business section of the newspaper.  Later I will read light fun stuff like the comics.

http://www.onlinecollege.org/2012/05/23/12-reasons-being-a-workaholic-isnt-a-virtue/

Jan. 5 Job scam: Have you ever heard of Viacton?  On Kijiji, there was an ad called: "Customer Service Assistant: Daily Cash, No Experience."  That was pretty obvious that it was scam, but I applied anyway.  They emailed me this on Nov. 30, 2012 about how I had to fill out this application.

I didn't apply or email back.  I found it while I was going through my old emails.

Here's the website.  It looks good:

http://viacton.com/?p=careers

I Google: "Is Viacton a scam?" and I got this blog which is mainly about scams.  In this post, he lists all these websites that should be avoided in alphabetical order.  Near the bottom is viacton.com.

http://blog.dynamoo.com/2012/12/ark-bureau-fake-job-offer.html

Jan. 9 Job interview: I did a job interview today for a big company.  I arrived on time, I dressed well, I had researched the company and took notes, and I had prepared questions for them.


I also thought about what questions they would ask me, and I wrote it down with my answers.

Linked In: Jasmine Hall sent me this article "The New Networking Ultimate Linked In Guide for 2012 Grads."  There were basic tips like use it, complete your profile, connect with classmates, professors, and old employers because you don't know who will link you to your next job.

I didn't think of this though:

"Be a connector: If you know two (or more people) that should know each other but don’t, take a moment to introduce them to each other on LinkedIn. They’ll appreciate that you thought of them and recognize that you’re valuable as a person who offers assistance and great connections."

I guess it's because all my college writing classmates know each other.

There are sections like: Groups for New Grads, Useful Linked In Tools, and Helpful Resources.

http://www.onlinecolleges.net/2012/05/07/the-new-networking-ultimate-linkedin-guide-for-2012-grads/

Chris Garvin: I was reading an article in the Edmonton Journal on Dec. 29, 2012, and it's called "A funny thing happened on the way to work."  Chris Garvin met with Waterstone President David Kinley at a bar, and Kinley was impressed with his outgoing personality.  Kinley offered Garvin the job to a research associate at his firm.

I went to the Waterstone website, and it's like a staffing agency.  Here's a line from the site:

"Using the same process to ascertain the best-fit candidates to meet your culture, our recruiting consultants specialize in mid- to senior-level positions.."

http://www.waterstonehc.com/our-services/recruitment
CG did a lot of stuff like study geography at university, taught English for 7 yrs in Taiwan, and is a standup comic and bartender.

CG: If you think about it, all my previous work involved connecting with people.  At school I had to connect with students, in bartending there's a lot social interaction and in comedy you have to connect with an audience.  So really, this career makes perfect sense.

I really like this job and I love the industry.  When I can help companies find candidates that fit with their needs and culture, it gives me a big sense of accomplishment.

Jan. 10 Feelings: I feel really good about that job interview.  I did read an article in the Globe and Mail business section back in 2010 about it.  It mentioned the effect that though you feel really good and confident that you got the job that you interviewed for, you need to keep looking for a job until the job is in your hand.

Doesn't mean you feel or think you know something, means that you do.  I'm sure we have all experienced a time when we did good or bad on a job interview or test, and it turns out it was the opposite.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This step could help you immensely since your reviewers will see what the employer would be seeing while you still have writing essays time to make improvements.