Tuesday, January 15, 2013

boosting self-confidence/ question/ charity

Jan. 2 Boosting self- confidence: Lynda Albertson sent me this article "30 Blogs with the Best Self-Help Advice."  It is the start of a new year, so this should be helpful for others too.  They are for: "Boosting self-confidence, managing finances, weight loss and fitness, professional success, dealing with stress, and controlling your temper."

There are 5 blogs for each topic.
http://www.nannybabysitter.com/blog/30-blogs-with-the-best-self-help-advice/

The Confidence blog:
I read a post by Diana called "An Enlighten Moment with Nature..."  She tells a story about seeing two deer on her way when she was walking the dog.  At the end of the post, she says:

"When we hold on to hurt, disappointment, and blame, there is no room for love, understanding and forgiveness.  Start making room today!"

It must be the law of attraction, because yesterday I was reading From Across the River (anthology of short stories by the Canadian Poetry Institute.)  "Alone" by Amanda Kotowicz was about a guy driving a car and stops for a deer.  He learns a lesson too.

http://theconfidenceblog.com/blog/

6 tips: 'How to Build Self-confidence: 6 Essential and Timeless Tips" by Henrik Edberg."  It has inspirational quotes in it, which I will put in my next inspirational quotes post.

1. Take action, get it done.
2. Face your fear.
3. Understand in what order things happen.
4. Prepare.
5. Realize that failure or being wrong will not kill you.
6. Get to know who you are and what you want out of life. 

The article goes into more detail, and I think it's really helpful.  There were some excerpts that I will also put in my inspirational quotes.  After reading it, I felt more confident and positive.

It's because I already do those things like #4 where I prepare for a job interview.  By learning about the company, I know what to expect.  #1 is going to the job interview.  #2 is also going to the interview.  It's about facing your fear multiple times, that you will be desensitized by it and you won't get scared anymore.  I still get nervous.

#5 I'm familiar with my job at the Big Company not working out or the Furniture Store job I had in 2010.  Getting rejected from college programs.  #3 talks about desensitization.  #6, I would say I know myself.   
http://www.positivityblog.com/index.php/2009/02/20/how-to-build-self-confidence/

Jan. 3 10 Ways: "10 Ways to Instantly Build Self-confidence."

1. Dress sharp.
2. Walk faster.
3. Good posture.
4. Personal commercial.  (Listen to a motivational speech like a TED talk.  List your successes.)
5. Gratitude.

6. Compliment other people.
7. Sit in the front row.
8. Speak up.
9. Work out.
10. Focus on contribution.

About #1, it says: "One great rule to follow is 'spend twice as much, buy half as much.' Rather than buying a bunch of cheap clothes, buy half as many select, high quality items. In long run this decreases spending because expensive clothes wear out less easily and stay in style longer than cheap clothes."

http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/10-ways-to-instantly-build-self-confidence/

Jan. 8 Building self- confidence: This is a long article.  There is a chart that says if you have self- confidence or you don't.

What is self-confidence?

"Two main things contribute to self-confidence: self-efficacy and self-esteem."

"self-efficacy
when we see ourselves (and others similar to ourselves) mastering skills and achieving goals that matter in those skill areas."

"self-esteem, which is a more general sense that we can cope with what's going on in our lives, and that we have a right to be happy. Partly, this comes from a feeling that the people around us approve of us, which we may or may not be able to control."

"building competence. Without this underlying competence, you don't have self-confidence: you have shallow over-confidence, with all of the issues, upset and failure that this brings."

Me: That is how you build self-esteem and confidence.  By finding something you're good at and/ or achieving it.

"Your confidence will come from real, solid achievement. No-one can take this away from you!"

Me: I like the sound of that.  You can't take away my high school and college diploma.

Below are steps, and there's a paragraph for each one.

Step 1: Preparing for you journey.

1. Look at what you have already achieved.
2. Think about your strengths.
3. Think about what's important to you, and where you want to go.
4. Start managing your mind.
5. Then commit yourself to success.

Step 2: Setting out.

1. Build the knowledge you need to succeed.
2. Focus on the basics.
3. Set small goals, and achieve them.
4. Keep managing your mind.

Step 3: Accelerating towards success.

http://www.mindtools.com/selfconf.html

Treasure mapping: In the article, it provided links to other articles on Mind Tools.com  It mentioned "treasure mapping" which is like The Secret's "vision board."  It's mainly creating a collage of all the images to motivate you to get what you want to achieve.

There were good questions:

  • What will I see when I have achieved my goal?
  • What will I have? What will I be?
  • How will I celebrate the achievement?
  • How will other people see me and what I have achieved?

http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newCT_94.htm

Jan. 9 Question: I read an article in the Globe and Mail Jan. 5, 2013.  Johanna Schneller interviewed Allison Williams from the TV show Girls.  I don't watch it, but there was a good question.

AW: I ask my friends, "When something exciting or terrible happens, who is your first phone call?  They all answer, 'My parents.'

I think it depends on who is around and what it is.  When something good happens like when I got accepted into Professional Writing, it was the early afternoon and I was home alone.  I called my friend Leslie and left a message.  I then went to work, and told Nialle who helped edit my portfolio pieces to get accepted.

After work, I told my family who were home.  I then emailed all my friends. 

When something terrible happens, like NAIT not working out.  I was going to quit.  I told my parents I was going to quit because it is their money and they're the ones paying for it.  I didn't tell my friends about it.  I stuck with the program, and it's not until later towards the end of the school year, did I start telling others.

It's like one of my classmates asked me how my projects were going, and I said: "I'm mainly done, but it's not good.  I'm not going to be graduating from this, but I'm going to apply to another college."

Jan. 10 Charity: I was reading in the Globe and Mail that LA entertainment lawyer Tony Tolbert, 51 moved back in with his mom.  He gave up his own house to a homeless family Felicia Dukes and her 5 kids to stay in the house for 1 yr.

Tolbert: You don't have to be Bill Gates or Warren Buffet or Oprah.  We can do it wherever we are, with whatever we have.

He was on CBS news.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One commented noted that their focus on supporting community-based initiatives research proposal contributes to increasing effectiveness.