Friday, February 24, 2012

PYT/ Channing Tatum look alike/ compliments

Feb. 20 PYT: So I was listening to my old PYT cd today. It's a girl group and it stands for Prove Yourself True. I loved their music when they were on the Center Stage soundtrack. That was back when I was a teenager. They were also the friends in Mandy Moore's music video "Candy."

You may have heard of their song "Same Ol' Same Ol'" feat. Sarai. It's a good R&B song to dance to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_scj4IUE6I

I thought this was really cool. There were these old interviews and video clips of these girls when they came out. They were 14 and 15 yrs old. They can really sing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NibMXpSXT_Y&feature=related

Dialogue: The Writer in Residence Jocelyn Brown gave me a tip about dialogue when she read the Rain script:

"A very important thing to understand is that dialogue from real life does not necessarily become real in a story. So the IM talk you had does not fit, completely, in the world of your script. It doesn’t matter that it was 'real' in life. Writers have to make things seem real within their invented worlds."

I emailed her back: "You're right about what works in real life, may not exactly translate well in the script. The last Writer in Residence Marty Chan said that to me, but it was over another script (The Vertex Fighter.)"

Feb. 22: I then emailed Jocelyn my next 10 pages of the Rain script. She said she's too busy, and can only give one session per writer, and to come back in the summer.

Channing Tatum look alike: I've been thinking about this for awhile, and it's related to my social skills. I wrote about it in Nov. 2009, this guy and his mom came into the Soup place. As soon as I saw the Guy, I knew right away who he looked like.

Me: There are a couple of things I want to tell you. One, we only take cash.
Woman: Okay.
Me: And two..
I then looked directly at the Guy.
Me: Do you know who you look like?
Guy and Woman both look taken aback.

Woman: No, who?
Me: Channing Tatum.
Woman: Who's that?
Me: GI Joe.
Woman: Oh yeah. He's pretty good looking. That's a compliment.
Guy: No, stop, you're making me blush. Hey, wasn't he in a dancing movie a few years ago?
Me: Yeah, Step Up back in 2006.

I guess I could have said: "And two, on a totally unrelated topic, do you know who you look like?" I predicted they wouldn't recognize the name until I said GI Joe.

A couple months later in like Feb. 2010, the Guy actually showed up again without his mom. I thought it was him, but I wasn't sure.

Guy: You told me I looked like somebody.
Me: Channing Tatum?
Guy: Yeah. It's interesting that you told me I looked like him, because after that, 5 other people said the same thing.
Me: Oh yeah, probably because his new movie Dear John came out.

Then there was like this pause as we stare at each other. I think he said: "This seems kind of awkward." I know for sure he said "awkward." I was just so shy and nervous. Guys are often mean to me, so when his mom came in with him last time, I was 100% sure he wasn't going to say anything mean to me with his mom there.

Now that the mom wasn't here, the dynamics have changed. Then he bought a soup and sandwich and sat and played with his phone. I know he was trying to connect with me, but I was shy. He was really good looking in the "hot" way. My right- brain was saying "Channing Tatum." My left-brain was saying: "It's just a guy who looks like a big famous movie star. Like 90% similarity in the face."

CT has 5 movies out this year, so I imagine the look alike will get even more people telling him he looks like CT.

Look alikes: Well prior to this, I've had other encounters. In 2007, in college, I met this guy Tyson. After a few classes together I said this:

Me: Do you know who you look like?
Tyson: The guy from Prison Break?
He really did look like the lead actor Wentworth Miller. Tyson looks like the younger brother, 50% resemblance in the face.

Me: Yeah. Who told you, you look like him?
Tyson: My manager at work. She told me: "You look the guy from Prison Break."

I find Wentworth Miller attractive in the "handsome" way. I'm not really attracted to Tyson, no disrespect. I was a little nervous telling him, but it was okay.

In summer 2009, at the Soup place, this guy came in and I thought he looked 80% similar to someone famous. He came in a few times, and I was nervous telling him. But when he came in the 4th time, I was like: "Just tell him because every time I look at him I think of the actor." The guy's name I learned later was Mark.

Me: Do you know who you look like?
Mark doesn't look taken aback.
Mark: No, who?
Me: Kyle Gallagher.
Mark: Oh, that's a new one. Actually a lot of people tell me I look like the guy from those Dell commercials.

I actually messed up on the name. It's really Kyle Gallner, and he's on TV shows like Veronica Mars. The guy from those Dell commercials, his name is Ben Curtis. I did find Mark attractive in the "cute" way. I was calmer talking to him because he did mention how he told his mom that I told him he looked like someone. Also that subconscious level of my right-brain: "He's a TV actor. He's not that big and famous."

Analyze: Now that I have analyzed and thought about it, the more good looking a guy is, the more nervous I am.

Being Human: I was watching this supernatural TV show, and I thought about the actors Sam Witwer and Sam Huntington. If these two were together, I would feel more comfortable talking to Huntington because he's good looking, but I'm not attracted to him. I would be nervous talking to Witwer because I'm attracted to him.

Meeting celebrities: The same goes when I met my favorite British boy band Blue at West Ed way back in 2002. Lee Ryan was my favorite member and I got to hug him. So with meeting singer/ actor Kyle Riabko. I was nervous about meeting them, because I'm attracted to them. However, I was prepared to meet them.

Unlike the two other times. Once in 2008, I met Nathaniel Arcand from the TV show Heartland. He came into the Soup place and I recognized him. I was excited, but I wasn't nervous. I wasn't attracted to him, I was just a fan of the show.

Same goes with meeting Bobby Lee from the TV show MADtv at my Restaurant #2. I was excited, but I wasn't attracted to him. I felt more comfortable talking to him.

Me: Wow, it's just so surreal talking to you here.
Bobby: Hey, it's okay, I'm just a guy.

I got to remind myself that when talking to guys: "He is just a guy."

Feb. 23: Also I'm sure as that Channing Tatum Look Alike is around, people may say this to him: "Did you know that he used to be a stripper before he became an actor?" I saw the trailer for his new movie with Jonah Hill called 21 Jump Street. It looks like a funny comedy.

Compliments: I thought up this question: "What would you most like to be complimented on?"

A, Smarts.
B. Looks.
C. Talent.
D. Personality.

I did compliments for my dancing in the talent show in jr. high. I got to say personality though. It's more fulfilling because also with the talent show, people did say that I was very brave to be dancing in front of 700 people by myself. I usually get compliments for being nice.

For example that guy Mark (who looked like Kyle Gallner), when he didn't know who I was talking about, I did this the next time he came to the Soup place:

Me: Hey, I printed out the pictures of him for you.
Mark (burst out laughing): Oh my God, you rock!

No comments: