Wednesday, February 22, 2012

production company/ Microbusiness Training Centre/ social skills

Feb. 17 Production Company: I was doing research for my production company to submit my form to the Microbusiness Training Centre and I found this video on ehow.com:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4988857_start-production-company.html

Here's how to make a production company:

Pick a name
Go to City Hall and fill out a business license.

Sole proprietorship (means only you work there.)
Partnership (working with one or more people). Get their names, and Social Security numbers.
Corporation: Group of people, you have networth and assets.

Next step is to write a fictitious business statement. Make an official announcement of your company.

Register your company's domain name on the internet. You may not want a website right now, but it would be smart to register it in case later on in the future you will use it.

Get an attorney.

Microbusiness Training Centre: Today I got a letter in the mail, and I've been rejected from the self-employment training program. Which is totally okay. I learned a lot from that 2hr session there. I did the module and it was very interesting because the questions are personal/ behavioral. It was like taking those quizzes in those teen magazines. lol.

They asked really good questions about you and your company. If you want to start up your own business, I highly recommend you go to the Microbusiness Training Centre.

Module A: Who are you? Self-assessment, creativity, time management. What are your goals?

Module B: About business plan components.

1. Define your company.
2. Defining products and services.
3. Market research.
4. Target market.
5. Competition analysis.
6. Marketing plan.
7. Operations plan.
8. Financial plan- income, expenses, corporate tax to pay.
9. Risk analysis.

Module C: Learn to sell.

Broken leg theory: This is about what if you broke your leg, what happens to your business? Good question, good theory.

Outcome: A written business plan.

They provide you monthly group network sessions, individual coaching, outcome.

Eligibility: You are eligible to get in the training program if you are 18 yrs old. You are employed but wanting to leave your job (requires govt. authorized counseled to leave for you to collect EI.) You can be secondary EI, like you gotten EI in the past 3 yrs.

Business tip: I thought I bookmarked this Yahoo article, but it's not there. It was like a month ago, and I read this tip: "You don't have to be creative or original in thinking up a business idea." It mentioned how Facebook was not the first social network. There was Friendster and Myspace before it. Then Facebook got really big. Now Twitter has come.

I thought that was an interesting tip. Business articles I read, and I thought it was general knowledge that you have to be innovative in thinking up different ways to make more money. But sure, let's just keep doing the same thing, that can work too.

Examples: I also thought about the book series The Baby- Sitter's Club. It was about a group of 11-13yr old girls with their baby- sitting business. It's not really creative, but it works because there's a demand for baby-sitters.

Same goes with selling food, crafts, and jewelery at the Farmer's market. That's not original, but you can make money there.

Feb. 20 Franchises: Is this the law of attraction working? I was thinking about opening a business, and then in the newspaper today, I got this Franchises newsletter. It was about tips before buying, how to finance a franchise, how to spot a good location, etc. The ads in it were advertising franchises like Boston Pizza.

Post Secret: I found this on Post Secret today:

Postcard: "Dear Boss, working with you was killing me. Thanks for the lay off!"

That was an upbeat postcard. It kind of reminded me when I was working at Call Centre #5. I signed a contract to work for at least 4 days to get paid for all 4 days. But then they dismissed after the 2nd day and I still got paid. I was happy about that.

Feb. 21 TV Businesses: I got this through my blog. This is something I'm interested, TV and business mixed together. Roxanne McAnn emailed this article: "10 Most Unrealistic TV Businesses." It mentioned one reality show The Apprentice, about working for Donald Trump.

"#4: And you'd better believe that competing for a spot in one of his companies nets him (Trump) much more than the $250,000 starting salary you get if you win."

"#5: Crime Fighting: There's absolutely no functional business model for vigilante justice. How can a superhero, especially one that has an identity to protect, send you a bill? How do these people/turtles do this stuff full time, anyway? Where's all that pizza money coming from? Even Superman and Spiderman have day jobs. Get a grip, crusaders."

Me: Well what about the TV show Angel? Angel was a vampire and he started his own private detective agency. In the first 3 episodes of the series, they didn't make money. Until the 4th ep "I Fall to Pieces (I had to check the title), Cordelia pointed out that they needed to charge their clients. They helped a woman get rid of her stalker.

The article mentions the Banana Stand (Arrested Development) and Dundler- Mifflin (The Office.) In The Office, the manager Michael is busy being liked, than being effective. I have to agree with that article.

Rant: This is a mild rant. Job Bank isn't really working due to "technical difficulties." I can't look for a job there.

Social skills: I was thinking about that career counselor and how she says I was too abrupt with my answers.

Me: My sister says I need to work on my phone skills. My friend Angela told me that I needed to work on my people skills. I asked if she has seen me work at the Soup place, and she said yes. She said I needed to be more friendlier to the customers.
CC: Well it's good that they're being honest with you.

Me: I know I have a problem. I know I need to work on my social skills. Knowing you have a problem is halfway to solving it.

I'm self-aware, but it's one thing to know it. It's another thing to actually do something about it.

Friends: One time I was hanging out with my friend Leslie and I asked about her rent.

Leslie: You should have talked about housing first, and then eased into talking about rent.

True, but she's been my friend for years so what does it matter if I ask that? Well, I got a flashback a couple years back and my friend Cham and I were talking. Then:

Cham: Are you a virgin?

I answered the question, and then she said: "Sorry if I put you on the spot." I wasn't really taken aback. We've been friends for years, so what does it matter if she asks me that question?

I remember when I became friends with Sonia in 2004. She always talked about her mom and her brother, and I had a feeling her dad was dead. So I asked about her dad like: "What about your dad?" and it turns out he was alive.

No comments: