Wednesday, February 1, 2012

funny article/ Galaxyland/ 1000awesomethings.com

Jan. 30 Funny article: I got this funny article from Jennifer Lynch. It's called "10 Biggest Ways that TV High School is not like Real Life."

I like this part in the beginning of the article:
"What you'll react to, who you'll associate with, what you're interested in make adolescence, specifically high school, as informing as it is formative."

It talked about how "high school students are usually high- school aged." Most TV shows hire 20-something yr olds to play students because of child labor laws. Kids and teens can only work a certain amount of hrs a day. I'll give points to Degrassi for having real kids and teens play their age.

"High school kids aren't afraid of caffeine pills." They showed Saved by the Bell about taking caffeine pills in the early 90s. I'll give points to Degrassi again for talking about the real hard drugs people use like cocaine, and crystal meth.

Feb. 1 Funny commercials: I also got this from Jennifer Lynch called "10 Weirdest TV Ads in History."

Some are really creepy like "#1 Sugar Rice Krinkles" with a clown. I'm not afraid of clowns, but it was pretty scary. So was "#3 Baby Laugh a Lot" with this toy that laughs. It sounds so evil.

"#6 Jello" was straight-up offensive by making fun of Chinese people. So was "#9 Winston Cigarettes featured on The Flinstones." "#10 Calvin Klein Obsession" was so disturbing. The vibe I got was kind of like pedophilia with this Justin Bieber-like guy who is in love with this older woman. Sure makes me appreciate "#2 Chanel Egoiste" with the women opening doors on their balconies.

These days, perfume commercials are supposed to be sexy, fun, cool, and glamorous looking. Get the actors to wear clothes for a black-tie even, show a cool car.

The only commercial I thought was actually kind of good was #5 John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten) Country Life Butter. He's the Sex Pistols lead singer. I don't listen to his music, but the commercial made fun of living in Britain.

Commercial: I emailed my friend Sherry about that Pepsi Max commercial where a guy beats himself up in the office, so his friend could get hired.

Sherry: fight club was and still is VERY popular with some groups....i think that says it all
i didn't like fight club either

I would like to add that I was reading Youtube comments and it turns out the guy who was beating himself up, his name is Tom Lenk. He played the geek Andrew on Buffy. I didn't recognize him because I didn't look that closely.

Joke: I got this from Daily Silly.

ACTUAL PRODUCT INSTRUCTIONS:

ON BOOTS CHILDRENS COUGH MEDICINE: *Do not drive car or operate machinery.

ON NYTOL (A SLEEP AID): *Warning: May cause drowsiness.

ON A KOREAN KITCHEN KNIFE: *Warning: Keep out of children.

ON A STRING OF CHINESE MADE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS: *For indoor or outdoor use only.

ON A JAPANESE FOOD PROCESSOR: *Not to be used for the other use.

ON SAINSBURY'S PEANUTS: *Warning: contains nuts

ON AN AMERICAN AIRLINES PACKET OF NUTS: *Instructions: open packet, eat nuts. (I think I remember hearing this in gr. 8 science class. The teacher Mr. Oxamitny was reading these dumb and obvious instructions.)

ON A SWEDISH CHAINSAW: *Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands.

Galaxyland: Last week I went to Galaxyland at West Edmonton Mall which I haven't done in years.

1. I rode on the Cosmic Spinner. It was a calm ride, and you are lifted up a bit.

2. Sonic Twister: That was so scary. You are sitting there and it goes really fast and you are being swung back and forth. Afterwards, I was dizzy. It's one of those rides that are too scary to be fun. I felt good after confronting my fear.

3. Auto Sled: I went on this light roller coaster ride. It was fun.

4. Flying Galleon: I went on this with my parents. You are sitting on a boat and you're swinging back and forth. Fun.

5. Merry-go-round: I also went with my parents. I haven't rode on that since I was in elementary school. I also was thinking about crime dramas like Criminal Minds where they found a dead body on the Merry-go-round.

6. Cosmo's Space Derby: I went with my dad. It's bumper cars. It's hard to control bumper cars. I thought of The Simpsons where Aunt Selma takes Bart and Lisa to Duff Land. The three bullies ended up stealing the bumper cars and driving on the road with them.

I did get a flashback of riding those other rides like the Space Shot. It was in 2002 and as soon as you sit in it, it goes straight up int the air really fast. It was so scary, my heart jumped. I had rode on the Solar Flare in 2002. It was scary because you go so high in the air, and you're going round and round. It's very rocky of a ride.

The Space Shot, Solar Flare, and Sonic Twister, and the biggest roller coaster there, are the scariest rides.

License plates: SK8TES
1MAGOO

"Getting scared about things that aren't supposed to be scary": I want to add the Buffy episode "Nightmares" where everybody's nightmares become true. Cordelia has a bad hair day and is being dragged by these nerds.

Cordelia: No, I'm not in the chess club. I don't even know how to play chess!

1000awesomethings.com: My sister bought the book The Book of Awesome. I read a bit of it. It was originally a blog that Neil Pasricha started just for fun, and his mom read it. Then his dad read it. Then his friends, and they forwarded it to other people. Now he got 3 books published and on The New York Times Bestseller list.

I hope to get noticed by TV producers through my blogs. They will then produce The Vertex Fighter script. I guess you can probably get all these written passages about one topic and put it into a book. How about Tracy's Job Tips? I have written so much about my job search, job articles, business, you can probably put it into a book.

Job tip: I was reading a Cosmopolitan article about job interviews. One thing: "You came. You saw. You Tweeted." Don't write about how well a job interview went through your Facebook or Twitter account. Korin Miller writes: "You may have tweeted yourself out of a job." It shows an employer you don't know how to be discreet.

"Hiring managers tell me it's all but certain that they'll Google a prospective candidate" says Paul Powers, Phd, author of Winning Job Interviews. Don't tell about about the job opportunity, online or with others in your industry until you've been hired.

I will say it's totally okay to tell everybody you're looking for a job on Facebook. Then all your contacts will tell you about openings.

The thing is, after I do a job interview, I always write about it on my blog. However, I never mention the company. I always say something vague like Call Centre #4, dental office, computer store.

No comments: