Friday, February 11, 2011

writer's streak/ Anonymous Rex/ perspective

Feb. 9 Writer's streak: From Feb. 4-9, I managed to write 43 pages in a period of 6 days. Writing was my priority for that week. My office job search was put aside. 6 days of not looking for a job was the longest break I had taken in the past 3 months.

Now that I completed my script, I have to take a break from it and go back to my job search. This is just like school. When I was in college, I get assigned an essay. I write as much as I can as fast as I can and get it done. Then after I got it done, I go and keep editing it to make it perfect. Now I will take a break from the script, and go back to edit it later.

Feng Shui: I read an article about Feng Shui a few days ago. It's an ancient Chinese practice about how you decorate your home, it can affect your life. It said clutter traps energy. I recycled 5 pieces of paper the other day. Today I threw out expired coupons.

I look at this expired A&W coupon for a free coffee and it brings back memories of my unemployed months in 2010. How I look for a job in the morning, and then in the afternoon I go to downtown to get a free coffee as my break.

Job tip: I was going through my old emails and deleting them because it is digital clutter. I had this Alberta Job Centre newsletter and it said: "How to read a job ad." In the ad it says: "Must have or required" then you have must have those skills. If it says: "Preferred or an asset" then they're more flexible and may train you to have those skills, if you don't have the skills already.

Also I found this article that if you have a blog about your career, it accentuates your resume. Write about your experience and achievements in your blog, and you can get noticed.

http://www.albertajobcentre.ca/content/index.cfm?objectid=0B7ED754-2219-80B4-5344318E6BE304BF

Feb. 10 Funeral home: I got that survey from that funeral home again. I got the same survey back in Nov. 2010. After I did the survey, they actually called me. Coincidentally, my grandpa from my mom's side had recently passed away. I'm going to mail this survey in again, so I can qualify for this draw where I get big cash prize.

Sure, some of you may say: "That's stupid. No one ever wins those. It's like putting your business card in those restaurant draws for a free lunch. No one wins those either."

Feb. 11 Song: I bought the cd by a British band called Athlete back in 2005. They're more adult contemporary. I was really happy when The Vampire Diaries played their song "Wires" at the end of an episode. The song is about a premature baby, it's a really good song. Check it out.

Anonymous Rex: I was going through my notes and I had written down about a 2004 TV movie called Anonymous Rex. It's based on a book. It had my favorite Edmonton actor Eric Johnson in it where he makes an appearance as a boyfriend, so I watched it for him. Here's the synopsis from imdb.com:

"The dinosaurs didn't go completely extinct when the asteroids hit 65 million years ago. Today, every ten thousandth person in the country is a dinosaur, evolved to be human-sized, wearing sophisticated solid-light holographic disguises to maintain the facade, getting stoned off regular cooking herbs like basil, rosemary and tarragon, and living by their own shadow government's laws; any human who stumbles upon them is to be immediately executed.

Two dino private investigators, velociraptor Vincent Rubio and triceratops Ernie Watson, are hired by one of Ernie's old girlfriends to find out why her younger brother committed suicide, and discover a dino cult called Voice Of Progress that wants dinokind to come out of the closet and reclaim the planet."

All I remember is that it's a father- daughter private investigation company. Something about Chinatown, the actress Faye Dunaway, someone gets kidnapped and has to be rescued, and some one's scent. It turns out Sam Trammel was in it before he got big on the TV show True Blood.

Oh my God, you can actually watch the whole TV movie on Youtube. Click here:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=anonymous%20rex&search=Search&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&spell=1

Comparisons: Here's a batch of comparisons:

A group of friends hurt someone, and then they all have to keep it a secret: It's been first done in the movie I Know What You did Last Summer (1997) where a group of 2 high school girls and guys accidentally run over someone. They don't go to the police because all their futures are at stake. Then they get stalked.

In 2001, the TV movie What Happened that Night about 4 college guys who hang out with a girl, and she accidentally shoots herself. They didn't go to the police because all their futures are at stake. Years later, one of the friends contacts all of them.

The TV show Pretty Little Liars is a group of 5 girls who are friends. A prank goes awry, and a girl becomes blind. This guy Toby becomes the fall guy and takes the blame. Then one of the 5 girls Allison ends up missing and then murdered.

On South Park, the 4 kids set a fire when they're in preschool. Someone gets injured, and someone else takes the blame for it.

Someone gets rejected, and bad things happen: In the Buffy ep "The Prom", this guy gets rejected by a girl, and then he releases demon hounds on the school prom. In the shown In Plain Sight, this guy gets rejected by a woman and he was going to kill her by blowing up her store.

Girl alone at bus station in the beginning, and fight scene occurs: It was done on Buffy ep season 7, where Buffy picks up a potential slayer. It was done in the vampire movie Thralls. It was done on Angel season 1 where Faith goes to LA for the first time.

Perspective: I was thinking about that Angel episode. In the beginning, Faith gets off the bus and a man approaches her saying: "Oh you're all alone out here. You don't have any friends or family or a place to stay." I was 14 when I first saw this. I knew F was the bad guy and she is going to beat him up. And she does.

But then when I was 22, I bought the Angel first season on dvd (for store credit because the store was closing down), and I saw it differently. This wasn't just a man, he was a pimp. What kind of a man approaches a young girl who is alone at a bus station at night? He knows she is vulnerable and he is going to use her.

I remember this time years ago I was watching Oprah, about this girl who ran away. She was at a pay phone and it wasn't working, and a man offered her his cell phone to use. He was a pimp and she became a prostitute. I'm not going to say every man who offers a girl his cell phone to use is a pimp, but be cautious.

No comments: