Friday, July 9, 2010

funny/ dialogue/ rant

Jul.7 Funny: I was watching CSI: NY and the cops bust in this warehouse that sells Chinese firecrackers. That reminds me of The Simpsons where they go to NY. Bart is in Chinatown store that sells Chinese firecrackers. Bart being the troublemaker that he is, sets one on fire.

Owner: Chinese fire drill! For real this time!
lol.

I was watching Rookie Blue and there was a line: "Success is 90% luck and 10% timing." My sister was listening in and says: "What kind of lesson is that?" I have to agree with her on that. This might as well be like The Simpsons where Bill Clinton talks to Lisa.

Clinton: The lesson is to keep complaining until your dreams come true.
Marge: Yeah, well that's a pretty lousy lesson.
Clinton: Yeah, well I'm a pretty lousy president.

Joke: You know how President Obama fired General McCrystal for his bad comments in Rolling Stone? Jay Leno made a joke.

Leno: Obama was mad at Justin Beiber for dissing him in Tiger Beat.
lol.

SNL: Earlier this week, my sister was ranting at me because I didn't offer to pay for pizza that we ordered.

Me: "I'll pay for it, I'll pay for it!" Get it?
S: Yes.

It was from Saturday Night Live when Ryan Phillipe guest-starred. The sketch was a game show where people fight to pay for the bill. Ryan, Guy 1, and Guy 2 are a family and they are arguing who has to pay for the bill.

Ryan: I'll pay for it!
Guy: No, I'll pay for it!
Guy: I'll pay for it!
Ryan: Let's split it.
Host: That's it, you're disqualified.

I did tell her that I was "strapped for cash." That's kind of like The Simpsons episode where Mr. Burns wants to buy Bo Bo the Bear from Homer.

Mr. Burns: I'm sorry, but I'm strapped for cash.
Then the ceiling collapses and all these jewels and coins fall on Mr. Burns. A crown falls on top of his head.

Friends: When I went to West Ed to do a job interview, I bumped into Ashley from college. She now works at Wind Mobile. She used to work at Urban Trade in the mall. After the interview, I was going to go home, but then I bumped into Dan and his friend Grace. That's a weird coincidence.

Job search: Today I picked up the Edmonton Examiner. I found a place and emailed my resume to them. I went through the Edmonton Journal and applied to 2 places. I did go out for a bit, and recycled batteries at Staples. I used a coupon to get a free coffee at A&W as I always do. Marcello's used to put a coupon for a free coffee on Metro's Monday issues, but they stopped.

Writing: Writing is hard. John Kerr emailed his 5 pages of notes on The Fighter yesterday. Today I emailed him back that explains the choices of why I wrote this and answered his questions. I'm going to have to roll up my sleeves and do some rewrites.

Dialogue: I always get criticized that my dialogue isn't that good. I remember this TV show Hidden Palms about rich teenagers doing fun and sexy things. It was in 2007. This guy and girl meet one night. The next night they're asking questions like: "Are you a virgin?"

I thought that was poor dialogue because they don't know each other well and they're asking personal questions like that. They get a pass because they want the show to go faster and make it sexier. Then a couple years later, a guy IMed me that kind of question. Earlier this week, I was talking to my friend Sonia. She was in the nursing program and there are guys there who ask her those questions. She did explain it's the nursing program so you do see bodies. It's natural.

Jul. 8 Rant: I'm still kind of angry about John Kerr's comments. I should have gotten used to it by now. I had half a dozen readers, producers, and writers read the script and they said harsh comments about it. Use your anger and write something good. This is constructive criticism.

I did email John back. The main thing that bothered me is that he dissed some things in my script that are based from my life. I guess it's kind of weird that I feel like he's dissing my life. lol.

John: The part where Shawn gets laid off from his call centre job is the worst excuse ever.
Me: That was based on my call centre job experience back in 2006. I did get laid off when the company closed down because their lease went up, and they couldn't find another place to hold the business at.

I'll throw in another mild rant. I am so sick of shopping. I don't buy anything, I just go to the mall. It's the summer time, so I also go to garage sales. I don't really like going on walks in the neighborhood because it's boring. I see that my old elementary school has a ramp built in. A neighbor built a new fence. I saw a flier for tutoring children. I picked up a Job Classified. Malls are more interesting because there is more to see and more to write. I've been going to a lot of malls since I was unemployed. This should be another push to get a job.

Job info: At the job fair when I was talking to the assistant manager, she said that I needed a Bachelor's degree if I wanted her position at Abercrombie.

I talked to the manager at another clothing store and she was getting paid $9/hr. She and the 3 others work there part-time. There aren't a lot of shifts to go around.

Good: Let's lighten the mood. I take the bus all the time, and this bus driver retired last week. He was talking to some riders about it. Good for him.

Job interview: I went and did a job interview at a optometrist clinic. It's part-time, and the probation is 6 months and not 3 months like in a lot of other places. Mainly nights. The benefits are for the eyes like getting discount on glasses. Did you know that dentists and optometrists offices use the Genie computer program?

It pays $12/hr and there are 25 applicants for 2 positions. On Mon. they will call the 2 people. I don't think I'll get this job.

Charity: It's kind of funny. I was typing up this email and I got a call from this charity asking for money.

Me: What call centre are you calling from?
Girl: It's in Edmonton called Xental.
(That's the call centre where I worked 2 days at a few months ago.)
Me: Oh. I can't donate because I don't have a job right now.

Job: I saw psychic Char last week. I said I only see a psychic once every 6 months. She said I would get hired this week. I did get hired, but it's at the store that pays $8.80/hr and it's about 12 hrs a week. That's a little over $100 a week.

I have a bad feeling about the store. The manager was honest that it's little pay for a lot of work. I felt depressed during that interview. I feel like that store should close down if there's only 4 people working there, all part-time. Unless one of you says to me: "You should take it so you have something to put on your resume."

I'm not putting obstacles in front of myself. I feel like if I take the job, I will quit very soon because I won't like it. Though I will push myself to pass out more resumes.

Banks: I went to TD.com, and I already applied for those jobs. I went to CIBC, BMO, RBC, ATB, and Canadian Western Bank and applied to a few jobs.

Jul. 8: I got a call from a hair salon and set up an interview. The interview is kind of far away if I take the bus, so I'll call a taxi to make sure I won't be late. I would have to take 3 buses to get to the interview.

However, if I do get hired for this reception position, I would be working at a mall that's easy for me to get to.

Fun: I did bump into the janitor Chase at City Centre when I was going to catch a bus. I also bumped into my friend Maygen at the 2nd bus stop and we chatted a bit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I mean this in the most polite way possible:

You need to start living your life.

Move out. Get, and keep, a job (even if you don't like it, that's how it works). Pay rent and bills. Buy a car. Cook for yourself. Meet new people and make new friends. Try new things without prematurely judging them; travel, go to a bar, and for Pete's sake, get laid (it's really not that big of a deal).

Life experience is probably the single most important factor in good writing. Without it, the lingering scent of naivety overpowers any attempt at realism.

I would think that the blog of a young lady who consistently writes about her new-found experiences as she struggles through the challenges of independent adulthood would attract a great number of readers.

Just a thought.

Unknown said...

That reminds me of a funny joke about an optometrist clinic in Edmonton. A man and his wife walk into a clinic. The wife says, "I need an eye exam." The doctor looks at her and says, "Your husband does too."