Monday, July 26, 2010

comparisons/ questionnaire/ Taste of Edmonton

Jul. 22 Comparisons: I was looking at my vampire script and see that this has been done.

The police attempt to catch a bad guy, and they can't catch him. Or if they do catch him, the police can't hold them for long.
In The Matrix, it begins with the police trying to catch Trinity, but she gets away.
In Dracula 2000, the cops catch a vampire and she breaks out.
In Salt, Salt gets captured, and escapes.

They escape in different ways, but they do.

A cop goes undercover a high school to bust drugs: I kind of had a throw away line in my script about that. Then there was a storyline on 90210 about that. The Secret World of Alex Mack kind of had that too. Except, it was like an FBI agent? She was working for the bad guy Vince and she had to find the GC161 kid (Alex). That storyline is over 10 years ago and I still remember it. lol.

Names: I read the vampire script and had problems with the names like Michael. It's not a bad name, but it's too common. Another thing was there was the other name Julie. I like that name. However, the names Michael and Julie are the same names used in the movie Tootsie. I have never seen it, but read about it in screenwriting books.

Jul. 23 Job interview: This is kind of ambiguous. Yesterday I got a call from this restaurant at West Ed to come in for an interview. Today I went there and I met the manager. He then said his old employee called in late last night and said she was going to stay after all. He didn't call my references yet, but said he will keep my resume on file unless there's an opening in the fall.

It's kind of weird, I was going to go there wearing a t-shirt instead of a dress shirt. If I did, that would mean I'm slipping. You still need to dress up even though it turned out to not really be much of an interview at all. I hope though that I still made a good impression and he does remember me.

I then browsed for half an hour at the mall. I had read the The Globe and Mail business section and then I read my book when I was riding the bus home.

Sleep: I woke up at 6:30am and couldn't get back to sleep so I listened to some music. Then at 7:30am I read the paper. Then I went to bed at 7:50am. I woke up at 8:30am so I could get to that interview. At 1:30pm I had to catch up on my sleep.

Jul. 24 Forensic Factor: I was watching this TV show with my dad this morning. It's about real crimes and it's reenacted. It's research for my script. I usually watch crime dramas that are fictional, so watching this show shakes it up.

It's about a woman who murders old women to steal their cash, check books, and credit cards to get her lifestyle back. What's creepy is that she takes her boyfriend's son with her on these trips. He waits in the car while she murders.

Questionnaire: I applied to a McDonald's in Kingsway in 2008 and I got a call back, but then I already got a job so I didn't do an interview. This year I did apply to 2 locations and did an interview. I did fill out this questionnaire.

"If you don't get this job, how easy will it be to get another job?

1. Very easy
2. Easy
3. Difficult
4. Very difficult
5. Don't know"

I picked "Easy" because I can get a job, but it's hard for me to keep it. I get hired, and people tell me I'm not good enough and I get dismissed.

At Payless Shoe Store, there was this questionnaire too.

"What did your parents teach you as an important lesson?

1. Stay out of trouble.
2. Do well in school.
3. Choose friends carefully.
4. Have as much fun as possible."

I would say "Do well in school."

Warehouse 13: I mentioned that this show is co-created by Buffy writer Jane Espenson. It's about a warehouse that holds all these supernatural artifacts and agents who must collect them. I thought this show was pretty average, but last night's ep did improve.

It looked like this one character died, then he didn't. Then it looked like someone else did, but he didn't. Then it looked like this character betrayed the good guys, but didn't. The main bad guy dies, to introduce another bad guy. There were so many plot twists and surprises in this episode.

Taste of Edmonton: I went there today. I put my ballot to win a draw to get a $50 gift certificate for the restaurants there. I also put my ballot in to win a iPad. I listened to music, looked at art, and jewelery.

Dialogue: I was on twop.com reading the thread "Tired TV dialogue." It then made me look at my Fighter script to see if I did use it. I checked 2 lines. They were similar, but different.

A cliche line was: "When were you going to tell me this?"

My line was: "How come you didn't tell me?"

No comments: