Friday, August 29, 2008

motivation/ funny

Aug. 27 Motivation: I talked to John last night and he told me that I was lucky and it is a privelege to work at a big company. Maybe when I get that paycheck and I see how much money I make, then I would appreciate it.

On the first day I got some swag. I got a mug, a pin, a key chain, 2 pens that are worth $5 each, and this clip to put my scan card in. However, yesterday I was pulling on the clip, and then I broke it. Damn it, I then had to throw it out making garbage. The thing is, take good care of your stuff.

Today at work it was even better than yesterday. I am learning how to do this work and I'm understanding it. I did have to ask for a lot of help though. I also had a meeting today about diversity at the big company. I got 4 granola bars. I bumped into my classmate Shaleane at the Telus building today. We caught up.

Writing: This TV production company emailed me back 2 weeks after I pitched my script to them. He said he was out of town, but he will take a look and help me out.

Aug. 28 News: I went on the internet and read this headline and laughed.

Patrick: What?
Me: "David Duchovany in rehab for sex addiction."

It's funny because I didn't know you could go to rehab for that. I know that addiction exists. I hope he gets help. I'm also kind of laughing because it was so unexpected.

Routine: Since I started my job, my days are pretty much the same. I wake up at 7:50am, get ready for work. I leave at 8:17am and then take the bus to work. I pick up a Metro newspaper because I only get to glance at the Journal's front page at breakfast. I then have 15min before work starts and I read the paper. At 9am I start.

I work and take a 15min break in the morning. Take my lunch break at 12pm, come back at 12:30pm. Work and take another 15min break. Leave at 5pm. I go home and watch The Simpsons. Eat dinner with my family. Then I watch some more TV.

This is my fourth day at work, and it went better. Each day there is a couple of supervisors who visit me and ask how I am adjusting to the job.

Advice: I was thinking about what my friends Leslie and Ray said: "What do you want to do?" I don't always do what my parents tell me to do. I'm sure they would want me to go to university and study business like my siblings and most of my cousins except one (but she did go into university), but they know I'm not smart enough.

My parents believe that I could get a job at a big company. Or maybe they believe I have a chance to work at one. They want the best for me so they tell me to get a job where I can work at and live on my own. Working at a big company pays well and provides job security. It's also respectable.

Analyze: I was thinking about how last year, I got fired from a café and the job just like with Wok Box so I could take the job at Winners. It is half- truth. If the cafe didn't fire me, I would have quit after 5 days to go to Winners anyway. Though one year later I did admit to it. No shame. Well it was the first time I got fired from a job before. It was for "Not showing enough enthusiam for it."

I then got fired from the clothing store after 3 weeks. I did admit that to my dad, however at the same time I cushioned it: "I got fired from it, but I now got a job at the Soup place."

Blog: I was reading my old blog entries since Apr. That was when I started putting my weekly emails up. I realized I write a lot about my job search, and job. Sure there are the movies, TV, music, and stuff about my life.

Disk: I also want to say, there is a good reason to have 3.5 floppy disks. Whenever I go to my school email account, I want to open a document that's part of the attachment. Then it doesn't open. I then have to save it onto a disk and then open the document there.

Funny: Right now my sister is watching Beverly Hills 90210.
Me: Too bad The OC didn't last as long.
S: That's because they kept introducing new characters and dropping them.
lol. BH lasted 10 years, and OC lasted 4 seasons.

Aug. 29: I was emailing my friend Chamnouer on Facebook. When I told her that I got a job at a big company she said: " omg how did u get that job? is it easy?"

Me: To put it in a nutshell, my parents told me to look for one in end of Apr. and I managed to get one. First I passed out a whole bunch of resumes as an objective "An administrative assistant" or a secretary to every bank in downtown. I also passed them to travel agencies.  Then I went and also emailed my resumes to Human resources on bank websites. My mom's friend is a worker at a bank and she was one of my references. I suggest you do what I do, put "administrative assistant" as the objective.

I went to an interview at the big company and they said they are looking for someone dealing with mortgages and ask if I was interested since administrative assistant is different. I said yes, because I need to get my foot in the door. I can learn to pick it, that's what I figured. Then later I got hired.

Then they said they want me to do data entry. I work in an office in downtown and my position is a teller. The key is to take notes and study them. Ask questions to your trainer and manager for help, that's what I do. After a few days, I started getting the basics. It's easy in some ways. I just have to learn how the office works.

My tips:

1. Pass out "administrative assistant" resumes to every bank in downtown or wherever you live. I applied to TD in City Centre, Capilano, and emailed my resume to HR there. Apply at Servus Credit Union, HSBC, Hong Kong Bank, Scotiabank,etc.

2. Say yes to any position they offer you.

3. Work hard when you get the job and when you are searching. I worked at the Soup and Sandwich company in City Centre (a restaurant). I applied to banks in the morning, and worked at the soup place starting at 12pm.

4. Be patient. I started passing out my resumes to offices and banks since Apr. and didn't get hired until Aug.

5. Continue working at your job and pass out your resumes during the off time and email your resumes when your at home.Well good luck.

 If I can get a job at a big company, I'm sure you can too. Also my friend works at an office, and she didn't really even graduate high school. I don't know if she has her GED yet. I should ask.

I'm working at the soup place tomorrow at 12pm-6pm. I work there every Sat. now. So come and visit me if you can.I'll leave you with an inspirational saying: "The best way to create your future is to create it."

I mean "The best way to predict your future is to create it"

Cool:
I turned on to MTV (I have satellite) and they were playing Colin Munroe's "Bloody Sunday" video. Then after that, they played Gnarl Barkley's video "Who's going to save my soul." Here's the link to the latter vid. It's so cool with the special effects, and yet funny in a bittersweet way. It's about a break up where the girl is dumping the guy.

Then the guy stabs himself with a butterknife, and pulls out his heart. They continue the conversation of what would happen after the breakup. The guy says: "I will then be passive aggressive to all my girlfriends and compare them to my false memory of you." This is a good video, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV6b2h02wHw

No comments: