Thursday, August 16, 2018

job interviews/ Kevin Hart awards scholarships

Jul. 11, 2018 Bakery job interview: I did a job interview back in Apr. 2018.

Pros:

1. It was 2 buses to get to.

2. The hours are weekdays and daytime.

3. $14/hr with a free lunch.

4. I can make sandwiches, coffee, espresso, pack pastries, weigh meat and slice it.

Cons:

1. This is a mild con.  I have to work Sat. and I work at my restaurant job at the time.  

My opinion: I arrived early and had a good rapport with the boss.

Big chain full-service restaurant: This was on the same day as above.

Pros:

1. There are 2 buses to get there.  They come frequently.

2. The hrs a 3 days a week.  11am-4pm.

3. The pay is $13.60/hr and tips are 2% of my sales.  There is 50% off discount on food.  

4. I can do the job of making drinks, seating people, wipe and set tables.  It's like my current restaurant job.

Cons:

1. It was kind of far to get there.


My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.  I don't know if it was going to last.  The boss wasn't there, and I was emailing him to set up the interview.  Instead the waitress who was a young woman interviewed me.

Café job interview: This was also in Apr. 2018.  

Pros:

1. It was 2 buses to get to.  They come frequently. 

2. The pay is $13.60/hr and tips daily.  There is 50% off food and free coffee.

Cons:

1. It turns out they were looking for people to work at night and close at 11pm.

West Edmonton mall location: However, it's a good thing I went to the interview because they said they were hiring for this location too.

My opinion: I would work at the WEM location.

Jul. 12, 2017 Japanese restaurant interview: I was there in May 2018.

Pros: 

1. It was close by like 1 bus.

2. The pay was min. wage and the tips are 6% of total tips.  I'm looking at my notes and it seems unclear.  The discount on the food was 20% off.

Cons:

1. It seems like I have to learn some Japanese phrases like hello.  I have learn about sushi.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.

Italian restaurant interview:   I was there in May 2018.

1. It was easy to get to like 1 bus.

2. The pay was min. wage.  The tips are 3% to kitchen, 3% credit card fee, and 5% to house.

There is a free staff meal like lunch.

3. A simple uniform of black.

4. Daytime hours are Tues-Fri. 10am-3pm.  

There are 2 evening like 5pm-9pm.

No Sat. mornings, but Sat. evenings.

No Sun.  I would work 1 Sun. a month dinner.

Cons:

1. I was kind of less interested in having to work nights.

2. There is laundry in the back to wash aprons and table cloths.

My opinion: They were hiring 1 PT and 1 FT.  I would work there in the daytime.   They seem to be looking for someone who can do split shifts and more flexibility.

Chinatown restaurant interview: 

Pros:

1. It was 1 bus and walk.  Or 2 buses and the 2nd bus is a short ride.

2. The hours are 2-4 days a week.  Daytime.

3. Min. wage and the tips depends on how many hours I work.

4. The cashier system is called Tabby.  I take orders and bring food.

I will do some food prep like cut vegetables.

I would organize food to go.

5. The discount is a free meal.

Cons:

1. The place is really new like a month.  How long do you think the business is going to last?

However, you can not always predict and control businesses.  I read somewhere like 80% of restaurants close down within the first 2 yrs.  

Then again, any business can close down like Luxury Décor opened in West Ed mall for 6 months.  It opened in Nov. 2017 and it closed down.

The department store Sears has been struggling in Canada since 2010.  It finally closed down in 2017.

My opinion: I would work there if I got hired.

Aug. 9, 2018 Brass Tracks closed down: I did a interview at this café back in Jan. 2018.  They were looking for a barista with experience.  It recently opened that month.

I walked by there in Jul. 2018 and the place closed down.

Aug. 12, 2018 The other places I applied to have closed down:

1. Mucho Burrito (in HSBC building)
2. Subway (in HSBC building)
3. Starbucks (in HSBC building).  I may have applied there, but I can't remember if they took my resume or told me to go on their website.

4. Subway by MacEwan.

I applied there last year.  

Aug. 13, 2018 The gig economy can be helpful: In 2017, I said this: "I dislike the gig economy because it lacks job security.  People are looking for shifts to fill their days and are unable to plan their life and budget very well."

I want to say this: The gig economy can be helpful.  I did a job interview at the school cafeteria in Jan. 2018.  There are lots of breaks like winter break, spring break, and PD days.  The school cafeteria workers then don't work on those days and don't make money.

They can then drive for Uber on those breaks.

As I'm writing this, I remember writing something like this before.  My old co-worker G got a job that's in his field.  However, it doesn't start for a month and he's working at the restaurant like 1 day a week.  I told him to go to a staffing agency to get a job and make money.

My week:

Thurs. Aug. 9, 2018 Kevin Hart awards scholarships:

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Comedian Kevin Hart, KIPP schools and the United Negro College Fund have teamed up to give scholarships to 18 students to attend historically black colleges and universities.


Hart’s “Help From The Hart Charity” and KIPP Public Schools each donated $300,000 in scholarships administered by the fund. Hart also gave $100,000 to the fund in 2015.

KIPP is a national network of charter schools.


The 18 students from eight cities who were chosen for the scholarships all attended KIPP schools. They are attending 11 different colleges across the country.

The recipients were selected based on academic and personal accomplishments.

Hart said in a statement that he wanted to do his part to provide opportunities for future leaders.


The students hail from Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Texas and Washington, D.C

https://apnews.com/820ef5bf711b4587b54d4c614666eb7b

Printing company job interview: I went to one today.  I have been there before a few years ago.  It was average.  

Today is really hot so I stayed in my cool basement.

Fri. Aug. 10, 2018 Twitter: I found this funny joke from Stephen Amell who is the star of Arrow:
Stephen AmellVerified account @StephenAmellJul 7
Actual exchange: 

Bartender: Are you Chris O’Donnell?

 Me: I am not. 

Bartender: I love his show! 

Me: NCIS: LA? 

Bartender: No... he’s awesome as the Green Arrow. 

Me: I agree.





Replying to


Work: I worked at my 2nd restaurant job.  I also got free food.  There was a big event nearby so that's why I worked.
Sat. Aug. 11, 2018: I also worked at the 2nd restaurant job. 
Today is also my birthday.  It looks like 8 people wished me a happy birthday on Facebook.  I "liked" each one.  I always wish people a happy birthday on Facebook.
Sat. is when I get the biggest Edmonton Journal and Globe and Mail news.  I'm going to sit and read it.

Sun. Aug. 12, 2018: I worked at my 1st restaurant job at night.

Bank: I met the new waitress M.  She's in her 50s.  She said she worked at CIBC from brand ambassador, to teller, to associate.

Tracy: Wow, that's really good.  You work at a big company so you can grow and move in it.
M: That doesn't mean anything to me. 

Aug. 13, 2018 Brooks Brothers: This store closed down:

https://www.shopping-canada.com/shopping-malls-centers/alberta/edmonton/west-edmonton-mall/brooks-brothers

Aug. 14, 2018 City Centre mall: I was there last month to pass resumes.

1. There was a store that sold furniture.  It was by GNC.  It closed down.
2. Fragrances for Less closed down.
3. Eveline Charles Salon closed down, but the Academy is still open.
4. The Commerce Place food court is renovated.
5. Artemis closed down.
6. Lemon Dress opened.
7. Beaverbrook store opened.  It sells real estate.

Friends: I called my friend Jessica and had a fun chat on the phone.  She is attending 2 weddings and a baby shower this week.

Wedding fact: I was watching The Social a long time ago, and they said two- thirds of weddings are in the summer.

Aug. 15, 2018 Countertop job interview: Today I went to this place.  It was average.

Aug. 16, 2018 The Self-worth summit: I just listened to Victoria Welsby at this TEDx talk.  It was edu-tainment.  She was funny as she was talking about stats and how you can be healthy and fat.

"What would you do if you had no fear?  Or in my case, wasting time dieting."

"You don't need to be healthy to be a worthy human being."

Victoria is a body image activist, confidence expert, Adjunct Professor at UBC and TEDx speaker. She went from being homeless, abused with self esteem that was achingly low into the courageous fat activist and change maker she is today. Victoria helps people fall in love with themselves and is dedicated to changing the way society views fat bodies.

Spoiler alert: There is a funny ending at the end of the talk where she takes off her clothes and starts dancing.

https://sachasterlingcoaching.clickfunnels.com/lead-magnet22425050?inf_contact_key=1cb11ec7c1ba3fe708c47034cd432a720b455791803f24bc581ddcbb411a7ab9
Do you have an old lawn chair to give away?: My old one broke.  Instead of buying a new one, maybe one of you guys have an old one you want to get rid of.  I want a chair that looks like this:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=lawn+chair&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=DTpnFx-ApyzTgM%253A%252CjDhDKkT-LO6mAM%252C_&usg=AFrqEzfj2GhOxqlVgQCeyfDSfTYzQqJAcQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjj3eX-5PHcAhWcFTQIHVINCZYQ9QEwAnoECAUQBA#imgrc=DTpnFx-ApyzTgM:


No comments: