Friday, October 6, 2023

"Katy Perry: a great dad-and-daughter date"/ "Finding meaning in music again" (life essays)/ Facebook Marketplace scam

Here is an article and a life essay about listening and enjoying music:


May 23, 2016 "Katy Perry: a great dad-and-daughter date": I cut out this article by Simon Beck in the Globe and Mail on Jul. 2, 2011:


Katy Perry may be the archetypal teenage dream, but judging by the ecstatic crowd at the Air Canada Centre, she’s also in the reveries of tiny 

Dora the Explorer fans,

soccer moms, 

grandmothers, 

gay males and 
– this one really threw me – the four hormonal adolescent dudes behind me with letters spelling K-A-T-Y emblazoned on their naked chests.

Perry is also the dream employer of an army of choreographers, graphic designers, wardrobe consultants, videographers and special-effects artists who adorn her shows in a rainbow of candy-coloured bling. To this proud member of the Brotherhood of Old Farts, she has always seemed like the only tolerable pop diva currently assaulting the sensibilities of today’s impressionable youth.

It was therefore with some relief that I heard my eight-year-old daughter Hadleigh tell me recently that Katy Perry was “epic.” It was her first serious pop-music crush, and thus – when Perry’s Toronto concert dates were announced – a suitable venue to introduce her to the transformational wonders of the live gig.

Taking one’s child to their first concert is a key milestone in the life of a parent; what I hoped to see etched on Hadleigh’s face was the first experience of the pure, no-strings-attached joy of pop. Passing the torch of music appreciation is not hard, but don’t expect them to keep it burning according to the same hard-core rules you applied in your misspent youth.

It took barely two minutes to realize how perfect a Katy Perry concert was for this momentous occasion. Her music is kid-friendly, yet packed to the gills with the same tropes that stirred all of us parents in the audience (and there were many) to gaze lovingly at those 45s spinning on turntables a generation ago: emphatic hooks, countless euphemisms for sex and, of course, instant danceability.

In my early days, I would get my fix from the likes of Marc Bolan, Robert Plant and Joey Ramone, but in many ways (cue howls of outrage from the purists) Katy Perry is cut from the same cloth. 

True, the spontaneity and energy our old heroes had are now choreographed and scripted out of most of today’s hit artists; replaced, in the Perry show, by an Osmond-esque devotion to Vegas-style showbiz perfection. 

But in great pop songs like California Gurls (her rousing encore number), Perry displays the T.Rex/Ramones talent for subverting the genre with humour and irony – albeit with enough costume changes (including a dozen in one song alone) to send Lady Gaga bawling back to that giant egg of hers.

Perry’s show was a two-hour frenzy of DayGlo excitement: part Folies Bergères, part Teletoon, part John Waters. She’s as comfortable singing skankily about kissing a girl and liking it as she is balancing on a pink cloud above the audience or dancing on stage with a line of goofy gingerbread men. 

And the visual effects were topnotch; after seeing her perform E.T. to a stunning backdrop of lasers and video graphics, I reckon Pink Floyd should be on Craigslist inviting someone to cart off their old sets for free.

There was also a soupçon of hubby Russell Brand in her act, judging by the witty one-liners and audience banter sprinkled liberally through the show.

She has a remarkable ability to appeal to young children without alienating teenagers. A touching moment came near the finale, when, clad in a cute, sequined, polka-dot swimsuit, Perry did a jaunty cover of Whitney Houston’s I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me); while this dad’s feet were moving in best old-man-at-the-club fashion, Perry filled the stage with young kids from the audience and handed out hugs and photo-ops as if she truly meant it. Why Sesame Street once deemed her too hot to handle is a mystery.

Hadleigh doesn’t dance in public; she’s either too cool or too reserved for that just yet. Instead, she glazed intently at the spectacle, barely blinking, absorbing the myriad sights, sounds and smells (dry ice and cotton candy) of her first visit to the altar of pop.

I suspect she will remember the event with fondness when she’s old enough to worry about the influence of popular culture on her own children. But for now, I’ll have to make do with the curt “really good” when I asked for her verdict during the ride home. Showing her age, she added, “I’m really tired,” and fell asleep in the back of the car.

Honestly. That’s today’s youth for you.


Jan. 25, 2018 "Finding meaning in music again": Today I found this life essay by Kelly McQuillan in the Globe and Mail:

Lately I've noticed some videos making their way through the social-media feeds, featuring kids confronted with late 20th-century technology – specifically, music technology. It's a good laugh as they try to plug headphones directly into cassettes or stare helplessly at a Discman, searching for the touch screen.

The humour also promotes reflection. I think back to when I grew up, which was long enough ago to have placed my adolescence at the confluence of the analog and digital eras. When I graduated from high school, the internet was in its infancy and vinyl, cassettes and compact discs were our sources of recorded music. 

For me and many (if not most) of my friends, music permeated our teenage experience and much of our time was spent acquiring, listening to and discussing it. It meant everything to me. 

Now, years down the line, well into the Digital Age, I can't help but wonder if modern technology, for all of its benefits and convenience, might be robbing us of a certain depth of experience and connection with music and other arts.

My 1990s listening adventures usually started with a trip downtown to a couple of favourite record stores. My friends and I spent delightful afternoons browsing, feeling the rush of excitement as we flipped through the plastic cases to reveal an as-yet-unheard of (to us) album by a favourite artist. 

Our piecemeal research was done via magazine articles and what we picked up on MuchMusic. Discovering a new album felt as if our world had just expanded. Sometimes, we would have the opportunity to preview parts of albums at listening stations, if the obligatory long-haired dude in the tie-dye shirt relinquished it for a few minutes. 

Because we purchased entire albums, not individual songs, we had to whittle our desires down to an affordable selection before we reached the till and forked over our hard-earned babysitting/part-time job cash. We rode the bus home, clutching our treasures, often sneaking a peek at the liner notes on the way.

One of my favourite things to do was to pry one of those CDs out of its pristine jewel case and place the shiny new disc in the player. I listened to the album start to finish, my ears bathing in the sound as my eyes devoured the liner notes, cover to cover: lyrics straight from the songwriter's pen (not the oft-poorly transcribed ones you find online now), the names of writers, performers, audio engineers, producers, when/where the album was recorded, and the gratitudes

This knowledge both informed and enriched my experience of the music.

In contrast, let's fast-forward to my typical music consumption. I recently purchased, downloaded and listened to a new album by one of my favourite singer-songwriters. I was able to do this while standing at the bathroom sink getting ready in the morning. So easy, so instantaneous and I really liked what I heard. But I haven't listened to it since. 

It has been consumed and shuffled into hundreds of other music files on my phone. If I had purchased the CD, or vinyl, I would have made time to sit down, listen to the songs in order (I realized later that my iPhone was on "shuffle") and read the lyrics along with them. I would have read each and every liner note to help me fully appreciate the context and creation of the work of art that filled my ears.

Does the method by which we experience media affect our engagement with and appreciation of it? 

This musing grumbles in the background of my mind, leading to a bigger question: Because downloadable, digital music is now ubiquitous, is anyone else out there beginning to feel as though their everyday experience of music is ringing a little hollow? 

Does the new medium devalue the art form? 

Songwriters and artists who receive fractions of pennies from streaming services might agree with that.

Music and other arts have always been an enormous source of 

meaning, 

comfort 

and inspiration in my life. 

I want to ensure that my son understands that this wealth is available for him as well. 

But connection is a two-way street. 

Music, art, poetry – they all come from somewhere, nurtured into being by inspiration and hard work. 

Doing a little work on our end helps us to experience art in a deeper, more meaningful way. 

A song is so much more than an instantly playable cover image on a screen.

Somewhere in the busyness of everyday life, I had succumbed to the temptation of easy listening (in the most literal sense) too many times. My experience of recorded music had become flat as an Mp3, guided by whim and convenience and lacking in meaning. This is the opposite of what I want for myself and my son.

Fortunately, all is not lost. We were given a turntable and my husband began to play records on weekend mornings and it's now a much-loved family ritual. I was inspired to dig out my old CD collection and started listening to them again, reconnecting with some meaningful favourites. 

We recently moved and our vinyl, CDs and cassettes made the move with us. The space it takes up is worth it. Our son is only 2, but he knows how the turntable and CD player work and he delights in rummaging through the plastic cases and cardboard sleeves, chubby little fingers seeking the familiar covers that he has already made positive connections with. We haven't completely shunned digital music, but we've become more intentional about our listening and more receptive to the experience.

As the digital world becomes increasingly saturated with media, I am concerned that arts such as music are losing their perceived value during a time when it could be argued that we need them the most. 

Our data-driven, fast-paced lives benefit so much when we take an occasional intentional step back out of the flow.

There is hope. Audio-visual stores are beginning to stock vinyl and I recently overheard teenagers talking about how they want a record player – a record player!– for Christmas.

Kelly McQuillan lives in Comox, B.C.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/first-person/i-am-finding-meaning-in-music-again-with-a-new-familyritual/article37721460/



Sept. 23, 2023 My opinion: When I was teen to early 20s, I loved music.  I like listening and dancing to music.

I also love TV and movies.  However, in my mid- 20s, I have veered away from music.

I was about becoming a TV writer and producer, and reading the business news and trying to get an office career.

Tracy's ideal life (as a TV writer & producer, Actor, Office Career) vs. Tracy's real life (Part 1)


http://badcb.blogspot.com/2020/04/tracys-ideal-life.html

Tracy's ideal life vs. Tracy's real life (Part 2)/ "Missing Out: In Praise of the Unlived Life" by Adam Phillips


http://badcb.blogspot.com/2021/11/tracys-ideal-life-vs-tracys-real-life.html


This week's theme is about is about life essays:


"Putting my best arm forward"/ "The journey to a good night's sleep" (life essays)

http://badcb.blogspot.com/2017/12/life-essay-swimming.html


"The peace that lies behind the punch"/ "When push comes to shove" (life essays)

http://badcb.blogspot.com/2023/10/the-peace-that-lies-behind-punch-when.html


Oct. 3, 2023 "'Why pay double for everything?' Meet the adults who live with their parents": Today I found this article by Aastha Shetty on CBC:

Peggy Ryan first moved back in with her mom 10 years ago as a last resort.

She had lost her job and it was getting harder to keep up with all the bills.

Moving back into her childhood home just made most sense at the time. Ryan, 36, planned to save on rent and food and move out when she found work again. But as the years passed on, she realized living with her mom made most sense in the long term too.

"This is where I grew up. This is where we lived with my grandparents," Ryan said. "I really can't see living anywhere else."

Living together costs the Ryans $5,000 a month for everything they need, including hydro, home and life insurance, groceries and the mortgage.

She said if she were to live alone, she would likely be spending more than half of that on just rent.

And based on national data — Ryan likely isn't alone in feeling that way.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/living-at-home-multigenerational-parents-adult-children-1.6965979


If my kids want a place to stay they have a place to stay ,plain and simple.

  • Reply by Patrick Bricker.

    For 10 years in their 30s?

  • Greg Anderson

    9 MIN AGO

    Waiting for parents to go.

    The new normal.


    REPLY

    1 REPLY

     4

    SHAREREPORT

    Reply by Baron Von Trollenstein.


    BV


    Baron Von Trollenstein

    6 MIN AGO

    Reply to Greg Anderson - view message

    Welcome to the rest of the world. At least here the parents can help you with child care if you're working...instead of scrambling around and adding to the gridlock by shuttling the wee ones off to daycare.



My opinion: My sister, brother and I have lived with our parents and grandma for years.  My sister is the only one who moved out for the first time in her 30s.

I like this article because it's about spending time with your family and saving money.


Oct. 3, 2023 "House of Commons elects Liberal MP Greg Fergus as first Black Canadian Speaker": Today I found this article on Yahoo:


OTTAWA — Liberal member of Parliament Greg Fergus has been elected the House of Commons Speaker in a historic mid-session vote, becoming the first Black person to hold the position in Canada's Parliament.

Fergus, 54, was first elected to represent the Quebec riding of Hull-Aylmer in 2015.

MPs gave him a standing ovation as he was announced the winner of the vote, and members of the Liberal, NDP and Bloc Québécois caucuses shook his hand and hugged him, as did a small number of Conservative MPs.

"The Speaker, to use the old hockey analogy, is nothing more than a referee," Fergus said in his first speech from the chair.

"And if there's one thing I know, it's that nobody pays good money to go see the referee. They go to see the stars: you."

Fergus said he wants to ensure there is decorum during the passionate, hard debates that are necessary in Parliament.

"I'm going to be working hard at this, and I need all of your help to make this happen," he said, adding that he will be meeting with deputy Speakers Tuesday to discuss how to improve decorum.



Oct. 4, 2023 "Manitoba NDP to form majority government in historic win for First Nations premier": Today I found this article by Steve Lambert and Brittany Hobson on BNN Bloomberg:

Wab Kinew, who is to become Canada's first First Nations provincial premier, spoke to young Indigenous people and those from all backgrounds in his victory speech Tuesday after the NDP won a majority in the Manitoba election. 

"I was given a second chance in life," Kinew said to a cheering crowd. "And I would like to think that I have made good on that opportunity. And you can do the same." 

Kinew's late father was not allowed to vote as a young man under Canadian law at the time. His mother's birthday was election night, and he brought her onstage to celebrate the historic win along with his wife and three sons.





Oct. 3, 2023 "'On my way with a bottle of Cheese Whiz': Major Ontario highway closed due to celery spillage": Today I found this article by Corne van Hoepen on Yahoo.  They can still wash the celery thoroughly to eat or feed it animals:





"'Take the night off': Frosted Flakes maker pushing cereal for dinner to boost sales": Today I found this article by Leslie Patton on the Financial Post:


WK Kellogg Co., the maker of Frosted Flakes, is betting on expanding cold cereal to dinner and snacking to attract customers and fuel sales for the Kellogg spinoff.

About 25 per cent of cereal consumption is already outside of breakfast, and that percentage can grow further, chief executive Gary Pilnick said in an interview. Besides growth in more cereal-based snacks, the evening hours are a big opportunity to revive ready-to-eat cereal in North America with legacy brands including Raisin Bran and Special K.


I always enjoy a big bowl of sugar before bed time.


Tim Jones

22 HRS AGO

Wait until the class action lawsuits start. This will be the poster for the plaintiffs. Sugar is the new cigarettes.


My opinion: I eat cereal for breakfast and a snack.  I may eat it for other meals if there isn't anything else in my home.


Oct. 3, 2023 "‘Don’t fall for this scam like me’: Woman’s Facebook Marketplace PSA goes viral on TikTok": Today I found this article by Cassie Morris on Yahoo:


Michel Janse (@michel.c.janse) gained over 1.1 million views, 52,000 likes, 3,600 saves and 1,700 comments after she uploaded the PSA to her account.


“For my safety, I just want to confirm that you’re a real person,” the buyer allegedly wrote to  Janse. “Are you ok if I voice call you from Google?”

Though her gut told her the request seemed odd, Janse agreed to send her phone number.

She then received a text with a Google Voice code, which the buyer asked Janse to relay to her. Janse complied — only to realize afterward that she’d been scammed.

According to the Federal Trade Commissionif you give a scammer your phone number and then relay the code from Google Voice, the scammer is able to create a Google Voice number linked to your phone number. The scammer will then use your number to rip off other people and conceal their identity.

However, sometimes these scammers are after more than just your phone number or a Google Voice code. “If they get enough of your information, they could pretend to be you to access your accounts or open new accounts in your name,” the FTC says.

For those who have already been scammed, there are steps to reclaim your Google Voice number — steps that Janse says she took after realizing her error.

‘… thank you for this warning’

Over 1,700 TikTokers commented on Janse’s video, many of them thanking her.

“I actually have never heard of this so thank you for sharing. So glad you were able to get things back,” commented @prairie_girl_4life.

“As someone who just started using facebook market, thank you for this warning … ngl i could’ve fell for it,” wrote @azenaetherial.

Some, however, had heard of the scam before — and some had fallen victim to it themselves.

“I have heard of this. I always tell them I prefer to keep communication on fb messenger and they never write back,” wrote @cherylann212.

“Happened to me too. I no longer have access to my Facebook,” commented @fiftiesrediscovery.

How to avoid other Facebook Marketplace scams

According to the FTC, there are multiple ways that scammers can cheat you out of your money, including fake payments, bogus refund requests and fake check overpayments.

To avoid being scammed on Marketplace, the FTC advises sellers:

  • Don’t accept a mobile payment from someone you don’t know.

  • Never deposit a check (or mobile payment) for more than the selling price.

  • Don’t share your Google Voice verification code — or any verification code — with someone you don’t know.

But it’s not just sellers who can be victimized by a Marketplace scam. Buyers can be scammed as well. Facebook advises Marketplace users to be aware of the different types of scams and to learn how to avoid them.

“Scams can happen to both buyers and sellers. Some listings may also be scams. Scams come in different forms, so it’s important to know what scams are, and how to recognize them when buying and selling on Marketplace,” the platform explains.

How to report a scam

According to Facebook, if you see something you think is a scam, you should stop communicating with the buyer or seller and report the suspected scam to Facebook.

The FTC advises victims to also report the incident at ReportFraud.ftc.gov.

In The Know by Yahoo is now available on Apple News — follow us here!

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/don-t-fall-scam-woman-233701912.html


Oct. 5, 2023 "She called 911 during a break-in scare, but says the operator left her feeling helpless": Today I found this article by Nicole Williams on CBC:


At first, Maria Sabourin wasn't sure what to do when someone started yelling and banging on her apartment door one night in late April.

The 55-year-old tenant, who has mobility issues, said a lot happens at her highrise building in Lowertown. The building belongs to Ottawa Community Housing (OCH), which provides subsidized rental units for people with low income.

Then the person started kicking the door, picking at the lock and trying to force their way in. 

Sabourin said that's when she became "terrified."

"Everything came through my mind, you know? All the horrible things that can happen to a woman," she said.

But it was the six-minute call she made to 911 — during which Sabourin said she was repeatedly interrupted, misunderstood and treated with disrespect by the operator because of her status both as an OCH tenant and a Cuban immigrant with an accent — that left her "emotionally destroyed."

CBC has obtained the operator's notes and an audio recording of the call from Ottawa police through a freedom of information request.

The operator also asked Sabourin to repeat herself on several occasions even though she was speaking English. Police records show the operator noted a "language barrier."

"At that moment I was blaming myself," Sabourin later told CBC. "'If I only could speak like a white person' — that's what went through my mind. She probably wouldn't have talked down to me."

The call taker then asked Sabourin for more information, including her middle name, her birthday and if she had called OCH security. Sabourin asked four times if police were on their way before the operator plainly stated nearly five minutes later that they were. 

By this point, Sabourin said she felt so helpless and upset she hung up the phone just over a minute later.

"I hang up on them because she was instead of helping me, she was judging me. That's what I felt. I felt judged," she said.

The would-be intruder at Sabourin's door eventually left, but police reports conclude her complaint was "founded." The officers cleared the scene after determining a man had tried to enter Sabourin's apartment after mistaking it for his own.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-community-housing-911-call-dispatcher-1.6986247

My opinion: I listened to the first min. of the call and then stopped.  I'm already getting angry, depressed, and in a bad mood.  I'll read the article and be upset.

I mainly can't control this.  My Counselor #1 Judy told me: "If you get angry about something, what is the lesson here?"

Sabourin filed a complaint, and asked for more sensitivity training, and told the media like CBC about her experience.


Fri. Sept. 29, 2023 I got a used flip phone: I found an old flip phone from my mom.  I went to the Rogers at City Centre and they switched the SIM card from the broken phone to my mom's phone.

You can copy the phone numbers and texts to the SIM card, and then put the SIM card to the other phone.  There weren't any important numbers or texts that I wanted to transfer.

The 2 guys at Rogers were helpful.  Rogers owns Fido and they're stores are connected.

Saving money: I saved $111 from getting an old phone from my mom.

You should ask your friends and family for their old and used things to save money.

In 2019, I was asking around for a keyboard and my friend Cham gave me her old one.

I also redeemed another McDonald's coffee card to get a free medium coffee.


Henry's place: Henry hosted and we mainly talked about current events like living in Ontario, British Columbia, Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton.

I got some job advice like Shiya said go to Fiverr.  I told them I did and to get proofreading and editing work.


We ate some pizza from Fresh Slice, and nachos with salsa.

There was this chocolate and caramel cake from Vi's Pies which is really sweet.

Kumar

Denny

Shiya

Anne

My parents drove me there and picked me up because they were going out.  I was there from 6:30-9:30pm.


Sat. Sept. 30, 2023 Live theatre and shows in Edmonton: I'm looking for a job in the entertainment industry.  I applied to some live theatres.  


I see that there are a lot of shows in theatres, hotels, and casinos like the River Cree Resort and the Century Casino.

https://www.todocanada.ca/Performing-Arts-and-Theatre-in-Edmonton/


You don't have to go to Las Vegas for shows.  I went there earlier this year, and I didn't pay to see shows.  There were some free performances at bars and malls:


http://badcb.blogspot.com/2023/07/i-went-to-las-vegas-k-days-2023-81-year.html


Oct. 3, 2023 "Can You Use PayPal on Amazon? Four Indirect Ways": Today I found this article on Putler because I had some money on my PayPal account.  I don't really use PayPal:

Funds transfer

Transfer funds from your PayPal account to your bank account and then use your bank account to make a purchase on Amazon. Here are the steps to transfer funds from your PayPal account to your bank account:

  • Log in to your PayPal account.
  • Click on “Wallet” at the top of the page.
  • Click “Transfer Money.”
  • Choose “Transfer to your bank” and follow the prompts to complete the transfer.

Once the funds have been transferred to your bank account, you can use your bank account to make a purchase on Amazon.

https://www.putler.com/can-you-use-paypal-on-amazon/#:~:text=The%20most%20popular%20payment%20gateway,direct%20payment%20method%20for%20purchases.


I wanted to buy some snacks like chips and cookies there.


Shoppers Drug Mart: I typed in "chips" and I got Quest chips and chocolate chip bars.  I wanted No Name, Doritos, Lays, President's Choice, etc.

https://shop.shoppersdrugmart.ca/search?text=chips&sort=relevance&page=0&q=chips


Oct. 4, 2023 Found:


"Each year, over 600,000 people are reported missing in the U.S., but not all cases receive the proper attention. Gabi Mosely and her crisis management team make sure there is always someone looking out for the forgotten missing people."


https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9071808/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_q_found


My opinion: I watched the pilot and it was good.  I will record the series and will watch all the eps in a couple of weeks.


Fall 2023 season: 

1. Found

2. The Irrational: I recorded the series and will watch the show in a couple of weeks.  Probably during the summer time when there aren't a lot of shows to watch.

3. Yellowstone: I recorded the series and maybe will watch this.

4. Robyn Hood: I watched the pilot and then I never watched it again.


"What Color Is Your Parachute?: Your Guide to a Lifetime of Meaningful Work and Career Success":  I have heard of this book by Richard N. Bolles last year.  I went on the internet to fill out the worksheets: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1984861204?tag=randohouseinc47720-20

University of Pennsylvania: These are all these personality tests to know thyself:

https://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu/testcenter



No comments: