Tuesday, February 24, 2015

I'm going to the AGM. Are you?

I'm going to the AGM.
Are you?
 
    
Dear Tracy,

Every activist has a moment that inspired him or her to movement. What's yours?

My moment came when we learned the fate of Troy Davis. I'd been involved with Amnesty International USA since my freshman year of high school. Through my work, I learned about Troy's case, and I became passionate in doing everything I could to ensure justice for Troy -- from collecting signatures, to organizing events, to calling on authorities to grant him a new trial.

In the moment that a court in Georgia decided that Troy would be executed, I was called to movement. I realized in that moment that I could never stop doing this work. I realized that the world needs people -- activists -- like us to really advocate for those at risk of human rights abuses and to stand with the oppressed in demanding justice.

Now, as a 20-year-old college student, I am still involved with Amnesty as the National Youth Action Committee Representative for the Northeast. I organize, facilitate workshops, train young activists and work daily to progress human rights in the U.S. and around the world.

Please join me in reenergizing that call to advocacy at this year's national Human Rights Conference -- our 50th Annual General Meeting. Register to attend today.

Each year at the AGM, we have the unique opportunity to come together as activists. Together, we deepen our organizing skills. We attend hands-on workshops and plenaries. We discuss and vote on resolutions that shape Amnesty's policies. Most importantly, we share stories of survival and our ideas on how to create change.

Amnesty International USA is working to highlight and empower all voices, including those of the youth. Together, we realize that our voices, and our stories, make a difference.

My story and Amnesty's story both started with a moment. So tell me: What's your moment?

See you in Brooklyn.

In solidarity,

Gerry Rivadeneira
Student, human rights activist and AGM program committee member

P.S. You receive $10 off when you purchase two or more tickets at the general rate -- so be sure to invite your friends! Register today.

No comments: