Tuesday, February 4, 2014

habits quote/ counseling and TV



Jan. 16 Habits quote: I was working on my inspirational quotes collection and I found this quote:

“Motivation is what gets you started.  Habit is what keeps you going.” –Jim Ryan

That made me think about my life.  I will write about the easy stuff and then I will get to the harder topics.

Watching TV: I was watching Smallville when it came out in 2001 because my favorite Edmonton actor Eric Johnson was in it.  Then he got written off the show, but I kept watching season 2 out of habit.  I became a casual watcher until I stopped watching it altogether by season 4. 

There was a time when I was watching Maury and then I became addicted to it.  I love watching the paternity tests results to find out who the father is.  A couple yrs of watching it, I started not liking it.  It wasn’t until Nov. 2005, I probably watched like the 1000th paternity test and I was like: “No more.”

I finished watching the rest of the episode and decided to not watch it anymore.  I was allowed to watch Dr. Phil.  However, I did relapse quite a few times and saw some Maury here and there.  After I quit his show, I did quit other TV shows I casually watched like Blind Date and Cops which are shows that I’m not addicted to.

Dr. Phil was harder to quit because I was really addicted to it.  I had to finish watching the rest of the season until May before I quit it altogether.

I was motivated to quit and then it became easier due to habit.  I quit Cops, and I have seen a promo for this other show DEA which seems similar.  I wanted to watch it, but I couldn’t because it will get me angry.

Yahoo news: I found this on Yahoo news, about this Hamilton police officer handling a tough arrest.  I decided to fast forward through the arrest and just watch the part where the cop talks to the camera in a calm manner.


Winter: For the past 2 months and a half, on my days off I don’t go out.  That’s because I work so much, that on my days off I like to relax at home.  Also it’s because it’s cold out.  This week, it’s warm for a winter like it’s 0 degrees and up.  It’s not snowing. 

It’s a habit that I don’t go out on my days off, so I keep that habit.  At the end of Oct. I knew I wasn’t going to be going out so I did all these productive things.  I deposited a lot of money in the bank and I went to the Staples in Oliver Square to recycle 6 batteries and 5 pens.

School: I find high school really hard, especially math.  I had to work so much just to pass.  I was motivated so I could graduate out of high school and go to college.

When I was in Professional Writing, I did work a lot, but I mainly enjoyed it.  High school really helped me develop a good work ethic.

Work: I wake up and go to work.  I do like my restaurant job.

Job search:

In 2010, it was the Year of Unemployment where I am constantly looking for a job after I was laid off.

In 2011, it was the Year of the Office Job Search.  I work in the morning at the restaurant.  In the afternoons I look for a job on the internet and go to job interviews all over town.

In 2012, it was the Year of New Directions.  It was like last year, but I did a lot of temporary part-time jobs.

In 2013, it was the Year of the Office Job for half the year.  Then when I wasn’t working at the Office Job anymore, I was going right back to working at the restaurant and looking for an office job.

I am on my job search because of habit.  I am motivated because the Office Job pays well.  I was there for months because I did like the nature of the job, the pay and the benefits.  In Oct. 2012, I did take a break for a month and researched all these other jobs that I haven’t thought of before.

Good habits: I have lots of good habits like working at my job, looking for an office job, reading the business section of the newspaper everyday.

Jan. 30: I thought I wouldn’t have enough material for this “health” email, but I did find something.

Counseling and TV:

The Office: I was watching this 2010 episode a few months ago on Sept. 19, 2013.  The ep was called “Counseling.”  Toby has a degree in social work and he counsels the boss Michael.  Michael needs to have 6 hrs mandatory counseling. 

Michael resisted the counseling.  Later Toby gets him to talk by playing cards and loosening up.

The sub plot was Pam wasn’t good at selling paper.  She then wants to be an office administrator.  Gabriel then kind of confronts her that there is no record of her applying to be an office administrator.

Pam: You either say I’m lying or I’m an office administrator.
There is a pause.
Gabriel doesn’t say anything.
Pam: Well then, I guess I’m an office administrator.  If you need anything, ask.
Gabriel: Yeah, I would like a name plate with my name on it.

South Park: There is an episode called “Butter balls” and it’s about Butters being bullied by his grandma.  He goes on Dr. Oz and fights him.  The end is Butters talks to his grandma.

Butters: At first I felt good, and then I felt this dark, empty feeling inside of me.  Now I know how you feel.

Maury: This reminds me a long time ago when I watched Maury.  This couple go on the show and the woman suspects her husband is cheating on her.  He failed the lie detector test, and there was footage of him kissing the “sexy decoy”, (an actress on the show) to see if he would hit on her.

When he got caught cheating, he just laughed it off like whatever.  Then they came back on the show again, and the wife says: “I cheated on you to get back at you for cheating on me.  And now I don’t know if the baby is yours.”

He was visibly upset, but I wasn’t surprised she would cheat on him to get back at him.  The results came back: “You are the father.”  The couple was happy and I think they both learned not to cheat on each other again.  The marriage would probably work out because they’re even and the baby is his.

My opinion: I’m sure the woman felt good at first when she cheated on him to get back at him.  But then she was probably feeling really guilty and terrible for the 9 months pregnancy.  The husband was really hurt by it, but he was probably thinking: “If I never cheated on my wife in the first place, we wouldn’t be in this situation.”

Do No Harm: This TV show got cancelled after 2 episodes when it came out in Jan. 2013.  CTV did air the rest of the episodes in the summer so I watched it.  Dr. Kenneth and Dr. Cole don’t get along.  Dr. Cole gets dismissed.

Kenneth: I thought I would enjoy this, but now all I feel is “What a waste of talent.”

Jan. 31 Writing: I don’t know if you guys noticed this, but I write my weekly emails/ blog posts way ahead of time.  For example, I write 3 weekly emails for next week and I’m working on the ones in the week after that. 

It’s the winter time.  I don’t go out on my days off because it’s cold so I stay at home by watching TV, reading the newspaper, and writing.

No comments: