Sunday, October 13, 2013

job lesson/ celebrity's job advice



Oct. 7 Job lesson: When I got a job at Call Centre #3 in 2009, it was from 9am- 4pm.  It was like that for 2 weeks.  I thought it was going to be permanent.  I learned that it was just for this project.  After that, it was going to be night shifts from 5pm-9pm.

I got hired at Call Centre #6 in 2012.  There were a couple of shifts every week the first month I was there.  Then it started getting less and less.  I may only get 1-3 shifts a month.

At my restaurant, there is an ebb and flow.  Aug. was really busy, with lots of work.  Sept. was quiet, and not very busy.

The lesson is: Work is not always going to be there.

Delusions of grandeur: I don’t have delusions of grandeur.  I was thinking about that time back in 2010, I got hired at Call Centre #4.  I thought 9 completed surveys were really good and after one shift, I could really see myself working there for a long time.  They dismissed me after one day.

I was angry about it.  Look at my track record:

Call Centre #1: Worked there for 7 months and it closed down and I got laid off.  (2005-2006)

Call Centre #2: Worked there for 5 months and I quit to go to school full-time.  (2006).  I went back there in 2008, and it closed down.

Call Centre #3: Worked there for 6 months and I got laid off due to shortage of work.  (2009-2010.)

I don’t think I’m really good, but from my work experience, the call centres either closed down or laid me off.

Pros and cons: Not everything is all or nothing.  I have something more to say about Co-worker #1 who keeps missing Mon. and Tues. at the Soup place.

For Co- worker #1:
Con: She missed out on making $80.
Pro: She gets a day off.

For Boss:
Con: Work a bit harder when they’re short- handed.
Pro: They save $80 in labor wages because Co- worker #1 isn’t here.

For me:
Con: I work harder and I resent her because she’s not here.
Pro: There really isn’t much.  I have low expectations of her.  The lesson is to not to waste time and energy getting angry because you know what to expect.  Ever since I was a kid, I always know to have low expectations of people and things, so you don’t get disappointed.

Pareto: I read in the Globe and Mail that the Toronto marketing firm Pareto closed down.  I remember applying to this company on the website back in 2010.

I go to the Pareto website, and it leads to this:



Oct. 9: I emailed Call Centre #6 to see if there were any shifts available.  They said no.

Oct. 11: I thought the company may have closed down and didn’t tell me because I didn’t work a lot of shifts there, and they haven’t given me any shifts in months.

I emailed them in June and asked if there are any shifts, they said no.  Then I emailed them this month and they said the same thing.

Celebrity’s job advice: I put this in my “Inspirational quotes (Part 15)”:

Amy Winehouse:  “I said, ‘Take a step back, have a look around and then maybe come up with something you haven’t even thought about and do it…Even if you just do it for a year, six months, two weeks, whatever.  The point is you can do anything.  You haven’t gotta just think, I’ve gotta go out and sing these songs all the time.’  And she could.  The world was her oyster, and she was very talented in a lot of other things that I don’t think she gets credit for. 

I spent time discussing all that with her, and reminding her- not that she ever forgot, I don’t think- just sort of reminding her that there was so many possibilities in life, particularly for someone so young who’s in the fortunate position that (they) haven’t got to go out and work everyday.” –Reg Travis talking about Amy Winehouse in the book Amy 27 by Howard Sounes

My opinion: I thought that was good.  Then I remembered I did do that back in Oct. 2012 where I was researching all these other kind of jobs that I didn’t think of before like a media coach or a career counselor. 

Vanilla Ice: I was reading in the Metro today that he has a reality show called The Vanilla Ice Project.  It’s where he buys houses, remodels them and then sells them.

Now he’s on a new reality show called Vanilla Ice goes Amish

In the first episode, Vanilla goes to renovate a kitchen and have to ask the church to use electricity and power tools.  The town in Ohio is 2 and half hours away from the city.  The representative asked the Amish community if they even knew who Vanilla Ice, and they did.  Ice says: “They’d heard of Vanilla Ice.  It was pretty cool.”

My opinion: Lol.  He was a one-hit wonder rapper.  He is more than that as a reality TV star and home renovator.

Jon Gosselin: I found this on Yahoo.  He’s from the reality show Jon and Kate+8.  They divorced.  He is now living in a cabin and working as a waiter.  From the article:

Although he admits he had a bit of trepidation about how the job would turn out, he talked himself into it. "At first I was nervous because I was like, 'How are people going to react?'" he confessed. "But then I'm thinking, 'Well, it's fun and I get to talk to people.' And they technically already know me … they're like 'Are you the guy?' I'm like, 'Yeah, I'm the guy.'"

"I don't regret anything. You learn from your mistakes. That's what builds you to who you are today," he mused.

But just who is he now? He's a 36-year-old father of eight who lives in a cabin with no TV, no Internet, and no regrets. "I've hit rock bottom like 20 times and I just bounce back and go somewhere else," he quips. "I [party] now on a different level."


My opinion: I thought it was kind of inspiring like “"I don't regret anything. You learn from your mistakes. That's what builds you to who you are today."  There are lots of people who hate Jon, but there are lots of people who hate Kate.  I only listened to an episode in 2009 when my sister was watching it while I was on the computer.  All I can say is that I’m glad I don’t have 8 kids.

Mia Sara: She was the female lead in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.  I saw it when I was 12 in gr. 7 drama class.  It’s an average movie.  This video interview is about how she was an actress and now she has kids.  She discusses how she wrote bits and pieces here and there, and didn’t know what it was.  She took a writing class and her teacher says she’s a poet.


Oct. 13 Long weekend: As usual it’s very busy at the restaurant, especially Thanksgiving Sunday.  I made a lot of tips.  Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: