Thursday, August 9, 2012

Post Secret/ news/ low expectations

Jul. 23 Post Secret:

"My mother was raped.  She never told.  Even after they blamed her for getting pregnant and made her give me away...she kept her silence.  I hate keeping secrets..."

Me: You and your mom need to get counseling. 

"I have been waiting 10 years for him to ask me why I gave him away."

Me: Why don't you look for your son?  Also you need counseling too.

"I was fired from my job for calling the National Suicide Hotline." 

Me: You may be able to sue the company for dismissing you over that.  You also need counseling. 

Jul. 23 Lole: I was looking for a job and then I found out Lole is hiring.  It's a women's athletic clothing store that will be opening at West Ed mall.

http://www.thinkretail.ca/post/lole-announces-next-opening-at-west-edmonton-mall

Jul. 24 News: I read in the 24 News that a Winnipeg woman fought off an attempted rape in broad daylight, while at the same time called 911.  Her name is Regina Hiebert and this teenager was on a bike.  He asked her for the time and then rushed at her.

She dialed 911 behind her back, and one digit in, he noticed she was dialing and tried to get the phone.  She kept fighting and yelled into the phone.  She had self-defense training and she was really angry and used her emotions.  She said: "When I get angry, I get a lot of strength.  The secret to getting through something like this is 'Don't panic, but think through what you're going to do now."

She pinned him down and he said he felt sick and was going to throw up.  She wouldn't get off him and told him that he can throw up where he was.  Police arrived.

Good for her that she fought him off and got him arrested.

Jul. 30 Rant: I mentioned how my sister yells at me for one thing, and then starts yelling about other things.  First I annoyed her because I was hitting my toothbrush on the sink, and I woke her up.  Then she yells at me for not helping my brother and tells me to not twist the doorknob when I close the door.

That doesn't really get me angry.  I get angry about one thing and it leads to totally different things.  Like that time in 2006 when I failed a quiz in college.  Afterwards, I was really angry about it, and started thinking about Maury and Dr. Phil.  That was the year I quit those shows months ago, but it has an underlying effect on me.

Smart phone infographic: Sarah Wegner emailed this about Smart Phones are being used.  People are buying so many Apps then ever before.  Check it out:

Jul. 31 Feelings: I've read in YM magazine that if you write down your feelings before a test, you will do well on it.  I have 3 job interviews in the next 2 days. 

Job #1: I feel a little nervous.  I think I have done this interview before last summer with a guy named Nick.  It was at a school.  I think I can do the job.  It's close by, and I can learn and grow in this position because the school is so big.

Job #2: It's for a medical office, and I think I can do the job.

Job #3: This is a really challenging job.  I did research for it to really prepare for it by going to the website and taking notes.  This is one I'm really nervous about.

Funny proposal: Now it's time to relax a little bit, by showing this funny video on Yahoo.  This guy proposes to his girlfriend at a baseball game by having "Will You Marry Me Erica?" on the score board, but she wasn't there.

Cut to him putting a ring on her finger, they kiss and hug.  She was wearing a baseball hat so I couldn't see her face, so I can see her happy reaction.

I have seen some on TV.  Like the one on the Tyra Banks show.  I wrote about it back in 2008 on this blog/ email.  This 18 yr old girl Summer was a prostitute at the Bunny Ranch and she worked there for a short period of time and didn't want to do it anymore.  Then her boyfriend proposed to her on the show, and she said yes.  I squealed with excitement.

Here's the Yahoo video:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/woman-misses-marriage-proposal-wrigley-video-154946581--mlb.html
TV Businessmen: Jay Smith sent me this article called "9 Most Brilliant TV Businessmen."  It has fictional characters like Don Draper (Mad Men), Walter White (Breaking Bad) and Tony Soprano (The Sopranos.)  It has real ones like Donald Trump and Simon Cowell.

http://www.onlinebusinessdegree.org/2012/07/15/9-most-brilliant-tv-businessmen/

Facebook ads: Hannah Howard sent me this article "10 Reasons Your Facebook Ads Aren't Working."  If the ad is boring, or the image or text isn't effective, no one's going to notice it.  I don't know about you, but I never click on the ads on Facebook or rarely any website.

http://www.longhornleads.com/blog/2012/10-reasons-your-facebook-ads-arent-working/

Low expectations: Low expectations can either hurt you or help you.  I have low expectations of people and things, then I won't be disappointed when they let you down.

Co-workers: It does help me with co-workers.  It's like that time at the Soup place.  Co-worker #1 was often missing Mon. and Tues. and she doesn't call to say she's not coming.  It started happening a couple months when she started working there.  I started lowering my expectations of her showing up on those days.

I had low expectations of Co-worker #2 who misses 1 or 2 days of work a week.  You can't predict when he won't show up, like he'll miss a Fri. one week, and miss a Tues. the next week.

You can't control people, but you can control your reactions to those people.  My managers have talked to Co-Worker #1 and told her that if she doesn't show up on a Mon. or Tues. again without calling, she's fired.  After a couple of weeks, she does it again.  She doesn't get fired.  I'm not really disappointed in her actions.  I'm not really disappointed in my managers either because they're so nice and easygoing.

They don't fire people.  They had one worker who was mean, but she quit.  Then another worker showed up, she was mean and she quit too.  I didn't expect them to stick around because they didn't seem to like the job, so it's more of waiting for them to quit.

Restaurant #2: At my current job, I have low expectations for people in this one department.  I see a lot of people quit there.  One person works there for a few days and quit.  Usually they work for a couple months and quit.  

Call Centres: I have low expectations of these since 2006 because Call Centre #1 unexpectedly closed down and laid us all off.  I was really hurt by it because I have never been laid off before.  After that, I didn't expect any call centre to stick around which is what happened.

I worked at Call Centre #2 in 2006.  Then I went back in 2007 to apply again, I didn't get hired.  I went there in 2008, and it closed down.  I wasn't hurt by it. 

I got hired at Call Centre #3 in 2009, and the shifts were 9am-4pm.  After 2 weeks, it was 5pm-9pm.  I was under the impression it was going to be day shifts, but it was only for that project.  I was disappointed. 

I didn't expect much from them after that.  Then they started cancelling my shifts.  I was not surprised when I got laid off later.  I wasn't upset.

Aug. 2 Saying: I was going through my notes and found "Justification for Higher Education."  I looked it up and it was for a poster.  It has this huge mansion, a helicopter, and 5 cars in the garage.
http://ca.movieposter.com/poster/MPW-53732/Justification_for_Higher_Education.html

No comments: