Sunday, August 19, 2012

business consultant/ job interviews/ the questions

Jul. 29 Business consultant: This position is where you give business advice to a company.  I Googled "How to be a business consultant."  I found these informative websites:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2123724_become-business-consultant.html

http://www.fabjob.com/businessconsultant.asp

http://www.businessconsultingabc.com/What_Does_a_Good_Business_Consultant_Do.html

Education: What I really wanted to know was the education requirements.  According to this site after Googling "how to be a business consultant education requirements canada", it said that you would need a "Bachelor's or Masters in Business management, Marketing or Economics."

http://www.educationrequirements.org/business-consultant%E2%80%99s.html

Reason: You may ask: "Why are you interested in being a business consultant?"  It's probably because I spend so much time working, and reading the business section of the newspaper, I can see how to run a business more efficiently.

Does anyone remember the email/ blog post titled "business efficiency" where Juice Place #2 was on one floor?  Then to get more food, they have to go downstairs to get it.  It takes 5min. to wait for the elevator, go downstairs, get the food, wait for the elevator, and go back upstairs.  As for Juice Place #1, all the food is in the back.  It takes 15 secs to walk to the back, get the food, and bring it back out.

When you were looking for a location to open your business, you should have thought of the logistics of how it's going to be run.

I never took a business class in college.  It's based on my work experience and reading the business section of the newspaper.  However, to be taken seriously with my business advice, I would have to take business in college.  Is there anyone here who would pay someone to give business advice, when that person didn't take business in college?

If you have an opinion on how the business should be run, fill out a customer service card or give your opinion.  

Colleges: I tried to find the University of Alberta business school admissions, but I found this and it doesn't give specifics to grades.  Then again, I don't want to spend 4 yrs in school.
http://www.business.ualberta.ca/Programs/TheAlbertaMBA/Admissions/EntranceRequirements.aspx

It's easier to get into NAIT's Business Administration.  The first year, they look at your English and Math (Pure or Applied).  Say you get in, and then after 1 yr, you can then pick your major for the 2nd and last yr.  You can take accounting, finance, marketing, etc.  Tuition is like $4000 a yr.

Banking: You can take Applied Banking and Business at NAIT to get an entry level bank job.  I know a girl who I went to jr. high and high school with.  She was in low classes with me like Social 23.  She's working as a teller at a bank and she didn't go to college.

http://www.nait.ca/program_home_76063.htm

Aug. 1 Job interviews: After work I went to a job interview.

School: I went this job interview at a school first.  A couple of days ago, I was kind of hesitant to go there.  I did an interview there last yr, and didn't get hired.  I guess I was hesitant because I may end up being late for another interview I had later that day.  I decided to go to this anyway.  It was 2:30pm.

I went there and I think it went well.  I can work in the restaurant in the mornings.  Then take the bus, and work at the school in the afternoon.  It would be an 8hr day with 2 jobs combined.  I can go home in time to have dinner with my family and nights off.

I can still have 2 days off at the restaurant (really mornings off, and work at the school later that day.)  I can still work at the restaurant on the weekends, and have the afternoons off.  If the job isn't good, then I can quit and still have my restaurant job.  There are a few positions available. 

Medical office: The office was really nice.  After I did the interview, I don't think I got the job.  One woman gave me the tour and then she asked me if I had any medical classes or medical office experience.  I said no.  She said there aren't any registered nurses here.

In the interview, I mentioned my college education about using my writing and computer skills.  They said the job is more hands-on medical assistant.  It's not front desk.  I made it to the interview on time because it was around 4pm.  There was one person being interviewed, and then another one, and then me.  I still emailed them my references.

Aug. 2 Finance job: Today I did an interview for a finance job.  This is the one I was really nervous about.  I researched the company.  I had some interview experience because I went to 2 interviews the day before, and I read some of the book that my little brother checked out.  It's called Job Interviews for Dummies by Joyce Lain Kennedy.

The pros:

1. It's in downtown.
2. The pay is really good.
3. The hours are good so I can work at the restaurant on the weekends.
4. Nice office.
5. The two women who interviewed me seem to be nice.

The questions:

1. Can you do the job?
I think I can.  I see that I have to learn some computers, but I am comfortable with that.  I also get to use my writing skills.  It seems kind of a challenge.

2. Do you fit in?
Yes, I think I do. 

3. Will you like it?
I think I will like it based on the information I got from the job.

The interview questions were really good like "What would you do in this work situation?"  It seems to tell me that this is what problems are going to occur in this office.  Is your solution going to be effective?  It had a lot of team player questions.

Designer assistant: I got a call back from this designer assistant position.  I thought it was going to be creative.  I then called to see where the location is.  I Google Map it and I can get it to it.  I called again and he told me how the position was 100% commission.

Me: So say you sell $100 in one month, you only make a $100?
Boss: Yes.

I told him I'm not interested.  The job ad should have said sales was involved.

Enmax: I was looking up companies to apply to.  This is a company that provides energy.  I thought it was for real estate, but that would be Remax.
http://www.kingswaymall.com/storedirectory/showstoreinfo.asp?ID=303

Aug. 3: I got an email from the finance job.  They decided to go with someone else.  That's okay.  I learned a lot about the company.  The interview was a good experience.

Pareto: Have you ever heard of this company before?  I applied there in 2010 when I was unemployed.  I recently got an email from them.  I Google them and it's a sales position and you have to have your own car.

http://jobs.timescolonist.com/jobs/detail/49950450?contextType=featured

Job Bank:
Here's a mild rant.  For the past week or so, I go to Job Bank.  Then after like 5-10min, the site says it has an unexpected error.  I can't apply to more jobs because the website isn't working.  Well I can then go on it again later.

Comparison: You know how I compared applying to staffing agencies is like picking up smoking when you know it's bad for you?  When they called back, I was at work and I didn't pick up my cell phone.  I looked it up on the internet to see who called.

I didn't call back.  It's like there's a box of cigarettes and a lighter in front of me, but I can't pick it up and put it to my lips and light it up.  I can't go through with calling them back.  Because staffing agencies aren't good.

It's not like me being really nervous to go to a job interview.  I will still go to it, because you never know until you try.  Going to a job interview is a good thing to do.

2 comments:

Jeny said...

Thanks for the sharing information with us..............business consultants brisbane

Business Management Consultant said...

Can find a free training here Click Here