Thursday, May 24, 2012

music video/ occupation stories/ The Listener

May 11 Music video: This is an old music video from 2005.  It's called "Ghost of You" by My Chemical Romance.  I really like the song and video because it had a real cinematic feel to it.  It's where the band performs at a dance during World War II. 

The band is also shown at the bar having fun.  The band also play soldiers on the battlefield of a beach.  It's very much like the opening scene in Saving Private Ryan.  One of the members Mikey gets shot, and Gerald is screaming to get to him.

I really like 1min 30 sec part where the dance floor turns into the war zone.  It's an emotional and powerful video.  By watching the video, I would have thought this was shot for a movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCUpvTMis-Y&ob=av2n

May 14 The Vertex Fighter: The things you find on this desk.  I found a note where I wrote: "Get Giles Panton in The Fighter."  I think I wrote this back in Jan. 2012.  A producer told me that I need to get GP to write down that he is interested in being in it.

Take Down Entertainment: I also found this in my notes.  I also think I wrote this in Jan. 2012.  It turns out I wrote about this in Oct. 2011 on my blog.  I forgot about it.  If you like MMA, you'll like this site:

From the site:

"...we aggregate MMA fights and content from fight promoters, fighters and online publishers, package and distribute it to broadcasters and digital media, develop and license home entertainment and merchandise, sell ad opportunities to brands and sponsors, and market all of it to a global audience of fans."

http://www.takedownentertainment.com/

Frost Fire magazine: I was going through my notes and found "Go to Frost Fire website.  Get published there."  This is a free and good Edmonton magazine I picked up in 2007 when I was in college.  I looked for it on the internet and I only found a writer for it on Myspace.  The post was in 2007:

http://www.myspace.com/in3stees/blog/319318710

I tried to email them, but the email address doesn't work.  I Googled "Frost Fire magazine Edmonton" and I got a Alberta website magazine.  It's pretty safe to say, this magazine doesn't exist anymore.

http://www.mediainalberta.ca/index.php/Lists/magazines-in-alberta.html

Twitter: Another note said: "Set Twitter account for The Vertex Fighter."  I have a blog on blogger about it.  I just set up a Twitter account a few weeks back, and I haven't really used it.

May 15 Nicholas Sparks: It must be the law of attraction.  I was going through my old newspaper clippings and reading writer interviews so I could file it in my manila envelope that's full of it.  I found a 2010 Metro article of Nicholas Sparks.  He wrote the book The Notebook and Dear John that was turned into movies.

He says he doesn't have a Twitter account.  I then check today and he does have one now:

https://twitter.com/#!/sparksnicholas

Here's his official website:

http://www.nicholassparks.com/

I only saw the movie A Walk to Remember and loved it when I was 18 yrs old.  I still have the dvd.

Fibres of Life: I found this on my desk.  It sells bags, accessories, kids and babies things.  It's fair trade handicrafts.  You can design your own shoulder bag.  They donate 1% of what you pay to fight child labor.

http://fibresoflife.com/category/bags-pouches/

May 21 Writer's inspiration: For the past month I've been going through all these newspaper articles I started clipping since 2009.  I have then read through them and highlighted the best parts.  I have organized them by putting them in a manila envelope. 

I have one manila envelope about writer's inspiration.  It has all the articles about writer interviews, author interviews, TV writers/ producers interviews, book reviews, TV reviews, blogs, and filmmakers. 

Occupation stories: This is also from 20/20's episode on Apr. 27, 2012.

Mail delivery: It talked about the delivery men like FedEx.  There were videos where they throw boxes and don't take care of the packages.  It's on Youtube.

One delivery guy threw a box with a computer monitor over the gate.  The sad part was that the person was in the home, and he had the door open for the delivery guy to hand over to him.  The worker was removed from that route.

One worker worked for a year and a half at US postal.  He dissed the company on his blog, and was fired.  What were you expecting when you diss your company?

One worker was stealing $40,000 worth of computers and jewelry.  It was then sold on Ebay.  He got arrested.

A worker said that he has a quota that has to be filled and will cut corners like throw boxes when delivering them.

Human resources manager: 20/20 showed this clip from the movie You, Me, and Dupree about a really poor job interview.  Dupree (Owen Wilson) does a interview where he asks if he has to work on Columbus day.  The boss said yes, and Dupree doesn't like that so he doesn't want the job anymore.  Which is stupid.

They talked to this woman who's a HR manager.  A confession was that there was a job interviewer who puts a picture of 2 kids.  If they women job candidates sees the pic and starts talking about their own kids, they won't hire you because you have kids. 

There are things like "Lay off lists" of people who are going to get laid off. 

Here's a tip about vacation time.  If you take a vacation, don't take it 2 weeks at a time.  Make it a few days to a week.

One woman was fired from a CITI bank.  On 20/20, I head it as Lauren Gonzalez for dressing too sexy.  I thought she was good-looking and professional.  She was crying when she was talking to reporters.  I thought she looked fine.  HR said she was fired for poor performance. 

I then looked it up on Google and found: "Woman Says CITIbank Fired Her Because She's Too Hot."  In the article, her name is Debrahlee Lorenzana.  It's been nearly a month since I saw the episode, but I think it's the same woman.  I must have gotten the name wrong.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2010-06-02/wall_street/30045943_1_village-voice-court-case-chrysler-building

Another tip was "Beware the new assignment."  You may be managed out by getting poor projects.  They showed a clip of the movie Office Space.

They talked to a woman who was fired because she got pregnant.  Prior to it, she never had problems at work.

The HR woman that the show talked to, she had quit her high-paying job because of the deception.  She is now like a career counselor helping people advance in their careers.

May 23 Tips: I found this article that if you're a waitress, wear red lipstick and you'll get more tips.  I sent it to one of my co-workers.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/Lifestyle/2012/05/12/19750576.html

May 24 The Listener: I found this article on Yahoo.  It's about the TV show The Listener.  It's coming back on Wed. May 30 for it's 3rd season.  You should totally watch it.  I already put it up on Facebook.

Tonight another summer series comes on, and it's the Canadian shot show Rookie Blue.  Check it out on Global.  It's a good cop drama, but lighter.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/craig-olejnik-says-season-listener-head-shoulders-above-174514239--box.html

No comments: