Wednesday, May 16, 2012

job search/ production companies/ career fair

May 12 Job search: This has been bugging me.  My friend Angela asking why I didn't think of applying for a TV production company job sooner.  I know she didn't ask that to get me angry, it was a plain question.  I do whatever is easiest, and then when I have that done, I get to the hard tasks.

Getting and working at a regular job is easy.  I got the restaurant job.  Getting an office assistant job is harder to get than a regular job.  An office assistant job is an easier task than getting my script produced.  An office assistant job is also easier than getting a writers/ communications job because companies are often looking for someone with years of experience.

Some of my college writing friends got writer jobs, some don't. 

TV industry: Also Angela said it seems like I don't really know a lot about the TV industry.  If you read my www.thevertexfighter.blogspot.com, there were all these posts about me learning.  I had been watching eHow videos like "How to get money for an Independent Film."  I then take notes as I watch the video and put it on my blog.

Production companies: The things you find when you go through your desk.  I found this piece of paper where I wrote down production companies to pitch to:  

Relativity media: I can actually email them.

Focus Features: I was looking for places to pitch my script and I found Focus Features.  However, it said: "Focus Features is free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how, or techniques contained in any communication you send to the Site."  They said they don't accept unsolicited creative materials, so I can't even give them my idea.  I filed copyright for my The Vertex Fighter script.  I didn't email them.

Blumhouse Productions: It turns out it has moved to Paramount Pictures.  Didn't email.

Platinum Dunes Productions: They make horror movie remakes like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.  I did learn that there is going to be a Ninja Turtles movie next year.  Here's some more info below.  Didn't email.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_Turtles_%282013_film%29

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1291150/

Why Not Productions: That's a French company.  Didn't email.

Weinstein Company: They made the documentary Bully.  I can't find contact info.

CBS Films: This company was founded in 2007.

I only emailed one company.  All of these are American companies without email addresses.  I guess they would have mostly been bombarded with emails about script ideas.  When they give contact info, it's about signing up for newsletters. 

Job advice: I found this article in the Globe and Mail business section.  It's written by Julie Labrie.  Someone writes in asking: "How can I get experience if I can't get a job?"  Labrie says that there is a false notion that the more jobs you apply to, the better chances of finding one. 

She says a lot of people apply to jobs they don't have relevant experience in.  The tip is: "Focus specifically on companies that hire new graduates in your area of interest."

It's like quality vs. quantity.  In 2009, I sent out 20 resumes a month and got a job at Call Centre #3 after 8 months.  I did 2 interviews in 2 places in 8 months.  In 2010, I was sending out 100 resumes and applications a month, and I did at least 1 interview a month.  Sometimes I do 8 interviews a month.  There is a numbers game.  The more you do, the more options.

May 14 Job interview: I did a job interview today and I got hired.  It's a part-time temporary job that will last for months.  I've had prior work experience and it's close by.  I am kind of nervous.  I have worked at places like Call Centre #4 for one day, and then get dismissed.

In that case, 9 completes wasn't enough.  The important thing is to do your best. 

Canada Post: I found this note I written down.  It was on my desk.  It said: "Got online to apply to Canada Post."  I went there and typed in Edmonton.  There were 2 jobs available.  One is on-call mail relief.  You need to be physically fit and have a car to have all the mail in there.  Another was a mechanical engineer position.

May 15 Ad agency: I had written down "Reda Ad agency."  I Googled it and got a Toronto ad company called Read Marketing.

http://www.readmarketing.com/

Next Steps magazine: I also written this down on my notes.   This is an American website and it's about college and career planning.  It seems more aimed at teens and people in their early 20s.  I did find this link how to be a freelance writer.

http://www.nextstepu.com/plan-for-college/career-path/become-a-freelance-writer.htm

Alberta's Best: I found this ad on my bedroom desk.  It's from Job Classified and it was for "Alberta's Best."  It was on Global TV and it was for "recruitment television and web site."  I called the number asking about a TV writer or production assistant position.  Ken White answered saying they don't that anymore.

Adt.ca: I found a new Job Classified ad from this week for adt.ca.  They're looking for customer service agents, but it's too far away.

Pro Serve: I got my Pro Serve for my restaurant job.  I had written down that I should put that on my resume, but what's the point?  I'm looking for an office assistant or TV production company position.  Putting Pro Serve isn't going to hurt my resume, but it's not going to help it either.  If I was applying for a restaurant position, I'll put it in.

Career fair: I was going through my desk and found some things from a career fair I went to months ago.

The Robin Hood Association: It assists people with disabilities like day programs, community access, transportation services.  However, it's in Sherwood Park so it's too far way.  It looks like a good charity to donate to.

L'Arche Canada: It's a non-profit organization where they need live-in assistants to take care of people with disabilities.  You can volunteer there.  It's not really for me because I'm looking for an office assistant position.  You can also donate to them:

http://larcheedmonton.org/?page_id=100

Corrections facilities: I also picked up a handout "Careers in corrections."  There is administrative services with "formatting and record keeping practices."  I would dread working there.  All the inmates there don't want to be there.

I remember back in 2002, I went to Grant MacEwan open house with Leslie.  We talked to a woman at a booth and she talked about how she wants to work at a women's prison.  Corrections is good job security.

May 16 School: I see in my notes I had written down University of Lethbridge.  It was earnandlearn.ca.  There are Edmonton and Calgary locations.  The Edmonton one is in downtown and there are like 15 courses there.  I guess I wrote it down because it said earn and learn so I thought of making money.

http://www.uleth.ca/edmonton/earn-and-learn

I had written down to reactivate my college email account.  I did that months ago and they told me I couldn't because I've been out of college for more than 2 yrs.  It expired.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been exploring for a little for any high quality
articles or blog posts on this sort of area . Exploring
in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this web site.
Studying this info So i am glad to show that I have a very good uncanny feeling I
found out exactly what I needed. I such a lot without a doubt will make sure to do not put out of your mind this website and
provides it a look regularly.
Also see my site > homepage