Saturday, May 12, 2012

job article/ job interviews/ goal

May 8 Job article: I do like putting up articles and providing the link.  When I talk about a newspaper article, I have to describe it.  With the link, you get to actually read it more in depth if you want to.

I got this from Job Boom.  The article's called "Toronto transit worker caught napping on the job."  At the end of the article it said this:

"George Robitaille, the collector caught sleeping while on heart medication in McCowan station in Jan. 2010, subsequently died of a stroke later that year."

They said to make sure he is okay and that he's not having some medical emergency."  Good tip.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2012/04/06/19601911.html

Facebook: My college added me as a friend on Facebook.  I decided to confirm like a few of my college writing friends did.  It's networking.

Introvert: Larry Dignan emailed this "11 Books Every Introvert Should Read."  I liked it because I'm an introvert.  There are books that help with my job search like "The Successful Introvert: How to Enhance  Your Job Search and Advance Your Career" by Wendy Gelberg.

Kickstarter: Roxanne McAnn sent me this article called "8 Tips for Raising Money Through Kickstarter."  I have never heard of this company until today. 

It's a "funding platform for creative projects" like making a film.  I went to the Film and Video part and there was a trailer/ interview for the movie Future Weather.  It's about "A Midwestern teen is abandoned by her single mom and decides to take survival into her own hands."

They interviewed the female writer, director, and actors about it.   It looked good.

On the site it says this:

"If the project succeeds
in reaching its funding goal all backers’ credit cards are charged when time expires. If the project falls short no one is charged."

http://www.kickstarter.com/

TV production company: Today I talked to a producer/ director who gave me a lot of tips.

Hypothetical career: I have my Pro Serve so I can serve alcohol.  I found Bar tending College Online.  What if I became a bartender?

Pros:
1. I already work at a restaurant, so a bar is similar.
2. It would be cool and fun to work at one.

Cons:
1. I most likely have to work at night.
2. I don't really want to deal with drunks.  (A lot of fights do occur in bars and night clubs.)
3. It's not a totally safe environment like the above reason.

It's not a totally respectable occupation.  No disrespect to bartenders.  Their personalities  have to be really outgoing and kind of like party animals if you work at a night club.  If you work at regular bar, you get to talk to all these people and be really social.

http://bartendingcollegeonline.com/

May 10 Job interviews:

TV production company:
Today I did a job interview at a TV production company.  It was a nice office.  The interview was okay.  I showed up on time.  I asked questions.  It was interesting because he didn't exactly put a job ad out, I just emailed the company.  It's good that we met and he knows me.  He kept my resume on file.

He told me what he was looking for and what the duties are.  I told him what I was looking for.  I did show I researched the company before I went there because when he asked what I knew about them, I listed some info.

Inn: I did a job interview at a small inn today.  They called me on my cell phone.  I called them back and I got a fax machine.  After work I decided to go there in person.  I met the woman who's the manager.  She's very nice and friendly and told me about the job.

I applied there quite a few times and this is the first time they called me. 

Me: Can I do part-time, like 2pm-9pm?  So I can work at my restaurant and come in at nights?
Manager: No.  Every time we hire a part-time person, they always quit.  They either don't get enough hours here so they quit.
Me: Have you thought of hiring students?
Manager: Yeah, but they always quit when school starts.  The time and money I put into training them isn't worth it.

Me: Can I work only on weekdays?
Manager: No, because we've done that before and it doesn't work.  The girl who works weekends doesn't like working on the weekends after awhile.  The person who works days doesn't like getting up so early all the time.  So that's why we create shifts that are different every week.  You'll burn out after a 12 hr work day.

She's got a point that I will tire myself out.  I could work at the inn and then put my restaurant around the inn's schedule.

I guess I could say: "I promise if you give me part-time shifts of 2pm-9pm, I won't quit."  Well I can't guarantee that.  Unless I phrase it: "I will only leave this job if you dismiss me."  I still can't guarantee that.

Humor at work: Helene Schmidt sent me this article through my blog called "11 Ways You Can Use Humor to Help your Career."  I liked it because it's about 2 things I'm interested in: careers and humor. 

Humor can be used to lighten a job interview.  It's good to poke fun at yourself, but don't poke fun about your ability to do the job.  It mentioned "make witty references" from TV shows and movies.  I always do that.

Friends: I was talking to my friend Angela on the phone tonight.  We were talking about me applying to work at TV production companies.) 

Me: So what do you think of my new direction?
Angela: I was thinking why didn't you go into it earlier?
Me: When I graduated out of college in 2008, I was trying to get my script produced.  I put 2008-2009 of constantly pitching my script.  I did apply to work at a couple of TV production companies, but I was mainly trying to get it produced.  I was also looking for an office assistant job.  I thought an office job would be easier to get.  Well which is easier?  Getting an office assistant job or getting your script produced?

Angela: An office assistant job because there are more available.  It's about supply and demand.

Script pitch: I've been asking production companies what they're looking for, and some have emailed me back.  I then pitched my Rain script to them.

May 12 Goal: I've been thinking more about Angela's question: "Why didn't you go into it earlier?"  My dream was to write for TV.  That was my dream since I was 14 yrs old.  Then I was 22, when I finally graduated out of high school and got my Professional Writing diploma, I was anxious to start pitching my script.

My dream isn't to work for a TV production company, my dream is to get my TV script produced.  I was also thinking "Focus on tasks that bring the most results."  I was working full-time at the Soup place.  On my free time I was looking for an office job, but I was mainly trying to get The Vertex Fighter script produced.

Last week, I did talk to someone where I can volunteer on a TV set to get experience.  However, when I got the email later, I had plans to go out with dinner with my family that night.  I called to tell the TV set I couldn't make it.

I did do a job interview at TV production company back in 2008.  Does anyone remember that email?  Probably not.  I did apply to another one, I think last year.

No comments: