Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sept.11/ law school/ Tru Calling

Sept.11: I'm getting some more flashbacks. I processed 9/11 like a teenager does. I was 16, I thought differently back then.

Sept.11 and reality TV: Well, I remember I was watching Big Brother 2. One of the contestants was a black woman named Monica and the host Julie Chen told each of the 3 remaining contestants what happened. Monica is from NY, and had a candy store there. It's not until a year later, there was an update on the old contestants and Monica said one of her relatives died that day. I think it was her cousin.

I was watching this reality TV show over in summer 2001 called Murder in Small Town X and it's regular people who have to solve a murder mystery. The winner was a NYC firefighter named Angel Juarbe Jr. He won the game, and then he died on 9/11. Here's some more info about him.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0288379/reviews

My memory is that he was the nicest guy out of all the contestants. He was nice to this one woman that no one liked.

Sept. 11 and music: I remember the song by Enrique Isglesias called "Hero." He was asked if he wrote the song for 9/11, and he said no, he wrote before it happened. Then he released it, then 9/11 happened and he hoped the song would resonate with people.

I'm getting another flashback of watching MuchMusic. They were to have the MuchMusic Video Awards on Sept. 23, but will cancel it due to the attacks. I remember all the delays like even Britney Spears delayed her tour. Then she started the tour and will donate $1 every ticket to help the victims. MuchMusic had some sort of charity/ telethon on their network. They interviewed the singer Shaggy. There was an interview with the Backstreet Boys and that AJ said that the only good thing came out of it is how there has been so much help after the tragedy.

The TV show Dark Angel was to debut that week, but it delayed one week. There were all these cancellations and delays, and I was thinking: "Don't stop the world. Let's keep going."

Sept. 11 and TV: I had read an article about how Smallville debuted at a good time during Oct. 2001. This show is about the younger days of Superman. I'm paraphrasing here: "Because at a time like this, you need a hero right now."

I personally don't think the show is that good. It's like Buffy, but crappier. Smallville did last 10 seasons. I read some comment on the internet about Alias which also came out in 2001. Alias is about a young woman working for the CIA, and it may not be good to have a show about the CIA which failed to prevent 9/11. The show is well- written, and maybe 9/11 didn't really have an effect on it. One time in season 2, the character Will mentioned 9/11, but it wasn't really mentioned again.

Sept. 11 and movies: It was in 2003, but I bought the dvd 28 Days Later about a post- apocalyptic world where nearly the entire world was wiped out due to this disease. I was listening to the audio commentary, and it said some of the scenes were shot on Sept. 9, 2001.

I also bought The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions on dvd. There was footage about how there were delays in making the movies because first the singer/ actress Aaliyah died in Aug. 2001. She had some scenes in the movie, but was deleted because there wasn't enough of her to finish filming. Then 9/11 occurred, and it delayed the movie even more.

Time magazine: In 2002, I was reading Time magazine about 9/11 when I was waiting in the doctor's office. The article talked about how in hindsight, the govt. knew a terrorist attack was going to happen, but don't know how or when exactly. Something like in July 2001, there was info that a terrorist attack will happen in a few months.

Then on Sept. 10, there was a discussion about it in the govt. This was from 9yrs ago, so it's kind of fuzzy to remember the article. There was a picture of female politician, not Hilary Clinton. Someone said: "We'll figure it out in a few months." The woman then said: "I don't think we have a few months to prepare for it."

Sept. 12 Job interview: Today I went to a job interview and it was okay. I went in for a receptionist position, but there's actually a call centre position available. I may end up getting the call centre one.

Law school: Over the weekend, I asked one of the servers if he got into law school because he was on the waiting list. He didn't get in and will be upgrading for another year to get in. I told him that law school will be very depressing. I know someone personally who went through all 4 yrs of law school and graduated, and hated it. She isn't a lawyer, and isn't practicing law. But she does have a career.

I remember reading in this Canadian men's magazine called Toro. There was this advice column about how a guy said he hated law school. Does he finish law school and practice law for a couple years to make the education worth it, or quit? The advice was quit law school. If you're unhappy now in it, then what makes you think you will be happy when practicing it?

I told the server to not go to law school, so he could be happy, and not because I don't want to see him be successful. He said he met lawyers who are happy, and that different people want to be different things.

Tru Calling: That reminds me of an episode of Tru Calling. It's where Tru is in med school and so is her friend Jensen. Then it turns out Jensen's girlfriend is pregnant and she is saying things like: "Oh, I can't wait to have the girls see me now that I'm marrying a doctor." It turns out she isn't pregnant and had a hysterectomy. She lied that she was pregnant so she could marry a doctor.

I can assume later, when they are married and there's no baby, she will say she had a miscarriage. The thing is, don't get married just because you're pregnant. Or in this case, wait until the baby comes and then get married. Jensen finds out and they broke up.

Also, Jensen isn't even really a doctor. By all means he could drop out or graduate out of med school and not practice medicine. Just like the person I mentioned who graduated out of law school, and doesn't practice law. This is the person who is an overachiever all her life. I have a cousin who studied science and then works at a bank.

Shopping: I went to the newly renovated Ardene's at City Centre today. There is a new renovated Ardene's at West Ed mall, Bonnie Doon mall, and the one I went to in Calgary. They're bigger, brighter lighting, more changing rooms, they've improved. I tried their perfume which smells good for $12 in a glass bottle. Or I could buy one body spray for $5.50. If you buy 2 body sprays in plastic bottles for $6.

Money: Also at work, the server who didn't get into law school said about work: "I'm going to be poor after this." It's because the restaurant wasn't really busy and won't be making a lot of money. Yeah, well at least he's working. I would say this "I'm going to be poor after this" after I went out on the town or gone on vacation.

Sept. 13: Today started off bad because I woke up at 4am, and couldn't get back to sleep. I then didn't feel very well, probably lack of sleep. I went to work, and once again it wasn't very busy so I didn't make a lot of tips.

Writing: Then I checked my email today, and the Writer in Residence Marty Chan emailed me back today with notes on The Vertex Fighter pages 20-40! Now he has read the first 40 pages of that script, and the 40 pages of Rain. He says he will only read new writers work for the remaining part of the year and he has helped me so much already.

Ringer: The other highlight of my day is that the new TV thriller show Ringer will be on the CW tonight. It will be on Global Friday nights. It stars Sarah Michelle Gellar, Buffy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer as she plays twins. One twin is socialite, while the other twin is in witness protection program. I'll write more about it after I watch the pilot.

No comments: