Tuesday, September 20, 2011

blog article/ job interviews/ credit union

Sept. 18 Blog article: I found this article about professors with blogs. I like #3 Natalie M. Houston's productivity blog. Here's her blog post about "Doing Enough."

http://nmhouston.com/2011/05/doing-enough/

They are organized about "business and education", "humanities", "liberal arts, journalism and communications", "science and math", and "social science."

Hi Tracy,

My name is Jasmine and I’m a writer for Onlinecolleges.net. I’ve been following your blog lately, and because we write on similar topics, I thought you’d be interested in a recent article we published, “50 Most Social Media Savvy Professors in America” If you think your readers would be interested, feel free to share it with them. Let us know what the response is.

(http://www.onlinecolleges.net/2011/09/12/50-most-social-media-savvy-professors-in-america/).

Thanks

Jasmine Hall

Stunt doubles: I got this article through my blog too. It's an article about stunt doubles that no one knows, but it's giving credit to where credit's due. Check out the action scenes the stunt doubles did in these big memorable action scenes.

Hi Tracy,

I work with Onlinecertificateprograms.org. We recently published an article that you may be interested in entitled, “10 Hollywood Stunt Doubles You Never Knew You Loved”.

After having followed your blog for a while, I feel that this one article would align well with your blog's subject matter. If interested, here's the link for your convenience: (http://www.onlinecertificateprograms.org/blog/2011/10-hollywood-stunt-doubles-you-never-knew-you-loved/).

Either way, I hope you continue putting out great content through your blog. It has been a sincere pleasure to read. Thanks for your time!

Regards,

Jena Ellis

Sept. 19 Job interviews:

Server: Today I went to a job interview and it was bad. It was at a school. I dressed well and showed up early. First the woman asks me what I know about it, and I was under the impression it was this, but it wasn't. I told her I went to that school for a year and I have done two interviews at the food services department (and didn't get hired.) It's a part-time job for a fine dining server.

She started asking me all these questions like: "Do you know American and French service? Garandine service?" (I'm not sure about that last word.) If I had any barista (coffee experience). What kind of computer programs I used like Open Table and Micros. I didn't know any of that.

She asked about my wine knowledge which is a big part of the job, and I had minimal knowledge. I know red and white wine, and the older the wine, it tastes differently. I didn't say that in the interview. I'm kind of kicking myself here because a few months ago at work, there was a wine tasting/ learning session at work and I didn't go. I wasn't interested in it and I thought it wouldn't be useful. Even if I did go to that session, I probably wouldn't have gotten this fine dining server position anyway.

After this 5 min. interview, she said there wasn't a position for me, but she will keep my resume. She said there's one night a week where we close at 9 or 10pm, and the latest we get off at is 11pm. I'm not comfortable taking the bus that late.

I didn't put obstacles in front of myself, I just didn't know anything about fine dining. After the interview, I thought the woman kind of looked like Erin Karpluk, the lead in the CBC show Being Erica. The face, and hair color was the same. EK had wavy hair and the interviewer's hair was straight.

Office assistant: This small company called me today and did an interview on the phone for 8 min. It was okay, because he seemed easy- going and nice. They wanted someone with accounts receivable and payable experience, and I didn't have any. I had graphic design education so he will keep my resume in case he needs a graphic designer.

Sept. 20 Credit Union: Today is my day off and it's been a crazy morning. I called a taxi so I can go to this hotel to do this information session for a credit union. I called and 5min later the taxi showed up, so that was fast. I got there like 45min early so I checked out the hotel a bit and read my newspaper. I think I saw a guy from my Eng. 101 class. We looked at each other, but we didn't say anything. It's been a few years since we saw each other.

I get to the room and there were 5 people there and we're supposed to fill out an application. It's from 9am-11am. There were like 40 people there in total. There were supposedly 5 positions, but it could fluctuate to 15. I was told on the phone to wear business attire and there was a math test. I had emailed one of my college classmates and she told me she worked there.

I asked what's on the math test and she said it was easy, and wished me luck. I think I got 60/100. The first page was easy by comparing numbers if they're the same like 45849 to 45879. You have to look really closely. The second page was like that, but with names like McDonald and MacDonald.

There was addition and subtraction. There were word problems like: "He makes $26,000 a yr. How much would his weekly paycheck be?" They said we can't use calculators and I was like: "Damn it. That's why I specifically brought my calculator to this session." lol. However, I could do the questions by hand.

There was one page worth 10 marks and there's only 1 right answer. It's really complicated like: "An orange bead can touch a red bead, but a red bead can't touch green bead. The orange bead can touch a yellow bead, how would they be put together?" I skipped that page altogether and went to the math.

There was a little bit of an interview as in we all have to stand up and tell everybody a little about ourselves like education and goals. There were also refreshments in the back so I had a blueberry muffin with lots of butter. Overall it was a good experience.

I had gotten a call from them back in 2008, but I went to Calgary instead. I called them back to reschedule and they never called back. I then applied again more times, and until this year they called me back for the session.

5 comments:

anonymous said...

Very impressive comments to read! In this blog, you give distinctive composition tips which are so astonishing and join by clicking on http://www.cheapresumewritingservices.org/cheap-professional-resume-writing-services/ website. You are likewise parody the idea of the individual in a fascinating way.

mile said...

One new way to stay on top of your business industry is to use the software which provides incredible advantages to your business operation. You should useful site to know about the quality of academic writing services.

Ava Lou said...

Glad to get a chance to read your post. It is really great news for the students as they are starting architecture in recent time. This website http://www.goodresumesamples.com/best-example-of-good-resume/ is really impressive as it will let you know about some grammatical rule and some extra useful knowledge.

Shuaib Ahmed said...

I am really sorry to share my reviews about microsoft products which really forced me to share a blog on http://www.resumetemplates2018.com/2018-resume-format site for others information.Why do many issues and bugs are there?

Shuaib Ahmed said...

I hate dogs.I never liked dogs.I just love cats.My most of blogs on more info sites are related to pet cats not about dogs.Anyways thanks for these pictures.