Sunday, September 4, 2011

divorce/ job articles/ interview skills

Sept. 3 Divorce: I read this on Yahoo. What is the #1 reason people get divorced? It's not cheating.

Me: Money.
I then asked my brother if he read the article.
P: Uh, one of them spends all the money?
Me: That's what I thought, but that's the last reason for divorce which is 5%.

27% growing apart
25% infidelity
17% unreasonable behavior
10% midlife crisis
5% money

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/most-common-reason-divorce-040000055.html

Min. wage: Speaking of money, the min. wage in Alberta has been raised from $8.80/hr to $9.40/hr on Sept. 1. I forgot about it, and then I had to go back and recalculate my earnings for the past 2 days. I made $2 more each shift. I read the Metro, and Bill Moore- Kilgannon of Public Interest Alberta says that real min. should be $12/hr full-time. Now I know what to aim for.

Job search: I was going through my papers, and I see that an interview I did a few weeks ago hasn't called me back. That's fine because it seems like a really hard job where the workers are traveling a lot, and I have to plan the travel. I get help with a travel agency where I would book the clients flights with.

I also noticed that I had written down a note, where a company called me. I called them back and left a message. That was also a few weeks ago. I realized they haven't called me back to schedule an interview. They probably hired somebody by now. The lesson is to keep track of all the calls and call back.

One time this company called me and I called to Human Resources. They said HR is not there right now, and call back tomorrow. I did again the next day, and they weren't there. I didn't call them again since I called twice.

Analyze: I talked to my dad today as he was frying chicken. I've been looking for an office job since 2008. I have kept track of my job search since Apr. 2010 when I got laid off from the Soup place. It was then I started sending at least 100 resumes a month. I did the math and Apr.2010- Aug. 2011, I passed out over 2000 resumes.

I have gotten interviews, but no office job. The minimal success is one office job that I worked for a month in 2008. One office job that I worked at for 2 weeks in 2010. I graduated out of college 3 yrs ago, and that's all I have achieved.

I can honestly say to myself, I used my time effectively and worked really hard in looking for an office job. I spent 3 yrs, and passed out over 2000 resumes, did several interviews, and haven't gotten a lot of success.

School: It's time to go back to school from the above analysis. I thought of going to a computer class at night, but I think I'll go to class in the day. I am more alert in the day and then I can do all the homework and study for the rest of the day. Instead of class at night, and then go to sleep, and do homework the next day.

Job articles: I get Alberta Job Centre newsletters emailed to me once in awhile. Here's a good article: "Apply the Scientific Method to your Job Search."

http://www.albertajobcentre.ca/content/index.cfm?objectid=FCBF8013-2219-80B4-53805FD61814CA11&utm_source=Albertajobcentre.ca&utm_campaign=4cf64b2675-AB_Career_Aug_24_20118_24_2011&utm_medium=email

I also get Job Boom newsletters. Here's one article: "Bosses may be bad, but workers worse." It says 3% of bosses had sex at work, but 50% of workers had sex at work. lol.

http://career.jobboom.com/workplace/2011/08/09/18531126.html

Here's one: "A woman's place in the boardroom." Women in the boardroom brings new perspective and retains employees and make them more productive.

http://lifewise.canoe.ca/Work/2011/08/04/18510826.html

Sept. 4 Flashback: I got a flashback of 2006 and I was talking to my friend Michelle. She told me she has friends who graduated out of university, and 6 months later, they're still working at Shoppers Drug Mart. They're working at jobs, and not a career in their field. I remember my sister when she graduated, after 6 months she got a career in her field.

I remember she has this big notebook, and she wrote down all the places she applied to, nice notes. I hear her rehearsing her answers to job interview questions. I write down all the places I applied to in these little notepads. I'm on my 3rd notepad.

Friends: Today on Facebook, Dan L. asked how my job search was going. I told him I did 8 job interviews last month. I could have done 9, and the company called me to set it up. 15min. later, they called to cancel. I asked if they will reschedule and they said they don't know.

Circumstances: I can't control the circumstances of this economy. I can control my job search.

Focus: I need to focus on my job search and what's important. So let's stop writing about stupid stuff that doesn't matter like my hypothetical daughter working at Hooters and "genders being mean." It's okay to write and think stuff like this sometimes, but I tend to focus too much on stuff that doesn't matter.

Interview skills: I talked to my dad yesterday about my interview skills. My resume is good with my college education and employment history. I get the interviews, but I don't think I impress the interviewer. I was talking to my friend Jessica today about my answers.

Interviewer: Tell me about yourself.
Me: I have a college diploma in Professional Writing. I learned how to write business letters and proposals. I also have a lot of computer skills from the classes that I took in the program.

Jessica: Show your personality to an interviewer.

"What do you do for fun?" is a common question. She talked about how she volunteered at the hospital for 2 hrs a week, for a year. That's really good. I guess I should volunteer too to add more skills to my resume.

J: I went to a funny website that helped with getting my career. I went to marieclaire.com and read the career section.
Me: I thought "funny website" was going to be some actual funny website with snarky comments, not a women's magazine website.

Career quiz: I have mentioned before in a weekly email that I was reading the "Cubicle Coach" questions in the magazine. So I went to the website, and did the quiz: "Do you need a career reboot?"

There was this question about how you feel about the following statement: "What I'm doing now has everything to do with where I want to be in 5 years."

I picked: "Yes, and I am learning a lot of great skills that I bet will apply to wherever I end up."

The other choices weren't really me either. But I guess that one was more like me then these ones:

"Absolutely."
"I thought I did, but after this job, I'm reconsidering."
"I don't know where I want be 5 months from now, let alone 5 yrs."

"When you aren't at the office, you:"

I picked: "Are dabbling in other interests that aren't fulfilled with my day job."

http://www.marieclaire.com/career-money/jobs/career-makeover-quiz#qtop

Degrassi: I was watching Degrassi where Anya does a college interview. She lacks confidence so she took a little cocaine. A was talking really loud and fast. Later A got rejected because she blew the interview. The professor was played by an actor I saw on The Listener who says he knew Toby when he was a kid.

Professor: You were erratic, and if I didn't know better, I thought you were on drugs.

Me: I thought her answers were pretty good. I guess it was how she presented herself that wasn't very good.

You guys are like: "What?" A question was: "What challenges have you faced and overcome?"

Anya: I have dyslexia, but I worked on it and my grades are good. My mom got cancer, and I was there with her at her doctor appointments while I kept up with my grades.

I'm paraphrasing here.

No comments: