Friday, July 15, 2011

comedy comparisons/ self- analysis/ schemes

Jul. 11 Comedy comparisons: Here's one about family.

It was done on the TV show Dinosaurs about a family of dinosaurs that act like humans.

Earl is the dad, Robbie is the teenage son, and Charlene is the teenage daughter.

Robbie: We saw how hard you worked, so I cooked dinner, and Charlene set the table to help you out.
Earl: Wow, this is like a caring and cooperative unit of some sort.
Charlene: You mean like a family?
Earl: Yes.

There's one on Futurama about a delivery business set in the future:

Professor Farnsworth: I thought this was a cheap source of labor, you know like a family.

Writer's jokes: This is a writer's joke that I got from the Linked In writing group Two Bits.

Alice Shadell says: "I'm thinking of Snoopy in the Charlie Brown cartoon who sent off a manuscript, and they returned it saying: 'Here are a few rejection slips for the next few books you may be writing.'"

I read a cartoon from Bizarro. One editor says to another: "Your article was [sic]."

Jul. 12 Funny video: I was watching Jay Leno and there's a real news report of how the Late Show with David Letterman studio was vandalized.

Reporter: We have security footage of the 22 yr old man.
Cut to Jay Leno walking away from the David Letterman studio.

Cut back to Jay Leno.
JL: I knew I was going to get blamed for that.

That kind of reminds me of James Van Der Beek appearing in Kesha's music video "Blow." He's a serious actor and he's playing around in the video.
I like how he poked fun at himself. lol.

Funny commercial: I saw this commercial where people are proudly saying: "I'm a loser." Then it turns out they're selling Minute Maid juice because it's about losing cholesterol.

Job search: I did a little job interview on the phone today. I applied to this company multiple times, and I finally got a result with this phone call.

Goals: Everyday I look at my list of goals and see if I did something to achieve it.

1. Get an office job. Done that, I applied to 24 places today.
2. Get The Vertex Fighter script produced. I put up a blog post on my The Vertex Fighter blog today. Today's post is about screenwriting books that I have read.
3. Write the Rain script. I always get stuck on this one with my writer's block.

It's a lot easier to do the first 2 things on my list, though it's not fun at all like writing.

Self- analysis: My sister told me about this Simple Productivity Blog on how to plan the next year. It asks questions like: :"What do I most want to experience next this year?" "What books do I want to read this year?" "Where do I want to be with in my career?"

http://www.simpleproductivityblog.com/how-to-plan-your-new-year/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Simpleproductivityblog+%28SimpleProductivityBlog.com%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Jul. 15 Robia LaMorte: Does this name sound familiar to you? She played Jenny Calender on Buffy. I was recycling my newspapers and I saw an article about her. She now travels the world and is a minister. Seriously. Check out her website:

http://www.robialamorte.com/main.html

Headline: Here's a fake headline from Jay Leno: "Dateline: To Catch a Predator Catcher." Show a picture of Chris Hansen. CH is currently in the news for cheating on his wife. His actions are bad, but I still like that Dateline: To Catch a Predator show.

Radio joke: I was listening to 91.7 The Bounce radio station.

DJ: Someone called asking for blow. I realized how that sounds. It's for Kesha's song "Blow."

lol. I totally knew he was talking about the song, and not the drug before he explained it.

Schemes: I have gotten sick of watching Gossip Girl and all the scheming they do on the show where they manipulate and play games with people. It's mainly revenge and getting back at people. They use all this time and energy over something that's not important, and that's not good to go around humiliating people.

I like watching crime- dramas where the characters use their time and energy to do important things like solve a murder. Or the characters plan a murder. There is actually a point to the episode.

At first Gossip Girl was okay with the schemes and betrayals, until it got too repetitive. I can occasionally watch people conning one another and seeing a betrayal that make you say: "Wow, that was unpredictable. I didn't see that one coming." Since it occurs all the time on this show, it really lacks the surprise element.

In my scripts, there is a little betrayal in the story lines. Like the good guy has to take the criminal down. That's an important thing to do.

Saying: I was watching Pretty Little Liars and Emily wrote a fake acceptance letter to a college to give to her mom, so Emily could stay in Rosewood. I got a flashback of how I read this book when I was 11. The saying was: "If you can't get it honestly, than it's not worth getting at all."

Emily decides against giving the letter to her mom. This also brings another flashback of how I really wanted to go to this performing arts high school, but my parents wouldn't let me. I could have gotten them to sign the form where I was to transfer schools, and put the school I wanted to go to instead of the school they wanted me to go to.

I was able to predict the consequences and didn't do it. My parents would be so mad at me that I did that so I could get what I want. I was 14, I really wanted to be an actor and I thought by going to that school, I would have a really good shot at making it.

Now that I'm 25, and more mature, I can really see the consequences. It's not like I stole money out of their wallets, but it is still disrespectful to do something like this behind their backs. They wouldn't trust me afterwards. Also if they found out I was going to that high school, they would immediately arrange that I go to their school choice. I wouldn't have gotten what I wanted anyway.

No comments: