Tuesday, March 8, 2011

feminism/ blog/ child abuse

Mar. 6 Feminism: Did you know that Mar. 8 is Woman's Day? I was watching a Doc Zone ep called Feminist: The F- Word. They talked to intelligent women who considered themselves feminists about feminism like Susan Faludi, Jessica Yee, Naomi Wolf, Christina Hoff Summers, Peggy Nash, Germaine Greer, and Amy Richards at feminist.com.

Stay-at-home-moms have like 7 jobs as a mom. They are a janitor, cook, and a day care teacher to name a few. If they were paid to be moms, they would get paid $117,000 a year.

There are 308 Parliament seats, and 68 are women. In Scandinavian countries, 50% of the government are women. There's a website called www.nameitchangeit.com about sexist media portrayal. This is what it says on the website:

"Widespread sexism in the media is one of the top problems facing women. A highly toxic media environment persists for women candidates, often negatively affecting their campaigns. The ever-changing media landscape creates an unmonitored echo chamber, often allowing damaging comments to exist without accountability.

We must erase the pervasiveness of sexism against all women candidates — irrespective of political party or level of office — across all media platforms in order to position women to achieve equality in public office. We will not stand by as pundits, radio hosts, bloggers, and journalists damage women's political futures with misogynistic remarks. When you attack one woman, you attack all women."

In the documentary, there was discussion about waves of feminism like how in the late 1990s there were shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Xena: Warrior Princess, and the movie Lara Croft. There were pop stars like the Spice Girls and now Lady Gaga.

They discussed the usual of how there are more women in college, have careers, in male- dominated fields like engineering, but yet women still make less money than men. It's very mixed results. Women are in careers like nursing and teaching. Medical and education fields have good job security, however they don't pay really well as in teaching.

Men make a lot of money in manufacturing and construction, however, the job security isn't that good. I read that men were affected worse than the women in the recession because the manufacturing and construction had a lot of lay offs.

Blog: I got this email:

Hi Tracy,

Hope this email finds you well. My name is Myron and I manage content for Careeroverview.com. It's not often that one comes across a site that is so well-written and creatively expressed as yours.

Since we write in a similar niche, thought you might want to share a recent article of ours, "20 Best Android Apps for Your Job Search", with your readers. Here's the link: (http://www.careeroverview.com/blog/2011/20-best-android-apps-for-your-job-search/).

Either way, thanks for the great content from a fellow blogger!

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Myron Wendall

I read the article and I thought the apps were pretty interesting.

Law of attraction: I have never heard of the name Myron. I get an email from Myron. Then I was checking out Facebook, and a friend's friend's name is Myron. I was looking at my old newspaper clippings and I see that name.

I was thinking about that Rihanna song "Breaking dishes" and she didn't release that song. Then I heard it on 91.7 The Bounce during the 9'o' clock mix where they have a DJ mix all these songs together. I heard that song when I went to the So You Think You Can Dance Canada audition back in 2009.

Mar. 7 Job interview: Today I went to a job interview for an office position. I don't know if I got it. I also deposited my tip money into my bank account. I looked for a job. I also typed up my script treatment and emailed it to a producer.

Child abuse: I saw this on Oprah 2 weeks ago. In Apr. 3, 2000, a 7 yr old girl lived in a dog cage. The parents beat up and starved their 4 children. The oldest is an 11 yr old boy who walked to the police station barefoot in the cold and told them about the abuse. Parents got 1 yr in jail. The girl's name is Chelsea and she's 21 now.

C talked about having fragmented memories. There weren't any mirrors in her home and she didn't know how old she was and old she looked like. Police had came to her home twice. C thought it was normal to live in a cage so she didn't tell the teacher.

One time one of her brothers opened her cage and they ate candy. Her mom found out and she was locked in the cage and the brothers had to be outside in the winter without coats on.

C lived in foster homes, then adopted, then in foster homes again. She googled her story, talked to reporters who covered the story. C went back home and the Oprah camera crew followed her. C starts crying in the basement. When C was being rescued, there was a flashlight. She remembered standing by the police car and eating her first cheeseburger.

They interviewed police chief Daniel Ally who rescued the kids. C now has a 1 yr old son. C has a relationship with 2 brothers. C has a relationship with 2 of her other brothers through Facebook.

C: I strive to go forward in life and be happy.

C: When you come out of a situation like that, you can be a victim and throw your life away. Or move forward.

Mar. 8 Koala bears: I was watching Saturday Night Live back in Sept. 2010, and on Weekend Update, it said koala bears can get chlamydia. It's true. Here's an article on AOL news:

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/09/17/koala-population-ravaged-by-chlamydia/

Good Earth: I went to this cafe called Good Earth in Apr. 2010. They gave away free coffee when it opened. The coffee was alright.

The office supply store Grand and Toy is selling Timothy's tea an coffee, and coffee machine.

No comments: