Friday, May 21, 2010

poem/ motivation/ actors

May 18 Poem: I got this email from a guy on this online dating site. Months ago he emailed me a poem too, and I sent it to you. My friend Sherry said it sounded like Metallica:

Tis not only the moon that shines
like fiery embers in the night,
for even the Goddess Ceres envies thy bright beautiful eyes
For even if the devil himself tears out my heart,
it would still beat for you a million times
and call your name in the night

My review is that this guy is trying too hard to be deep and cool. I find it's unoriginal about calling your name in the night. You may say: "You're a writing snob." Well I do have a college diploma in Professional Writing. However, with writing and art, it's subjective.

Recession: I was reading the Globe and Mail and about this woman who used to be an administrative assistant and has become a Wal-Mart cashier after the recession. The thing is, technology was going to fade out administrative assistant jobs in the future, the recession sped it up.

These jobs aren't coming back because the computers will be able to make you keep track of your appointments. The other day I was talking to Patrick and he said: "C'mon, remember there was that guy who had his secretary in India? And he was in the US. It was on CNN."

This could be a sign for me to not become an administrative assistant. However, I still think people can still go to MacEwan and CDI college to take the course to become one. I see a lot people are still needed to be a receptionist at dental and medical clinics. I read the Classifieds in the newspaper and there are a lot of ads for it.

Motivation: I'm kind of friends with this man named Chase. He's 52 and works as a janitor at the mall. We talked once last month about how I got laid off at the Soup place. Well I bumped into him at the mall while he was on break. I see a lot of staffing agencies and I feel tempted to go to them.

Back in 2008, my parents and sister told me those staffing agencies are bad.

Chase: It's $18/hr for my work. $12 goes to me, and $6 goes to the agency for setting it up.
Me: Yeah, and that's why my dad says you might as well get a job on your own.

If you're really desperate for work, go to one. Avoid it at all costs.

Letter: I was reading a letter in the Edmonton Journal. This 24 yr old guy works at a big department store and gets disrespect from customers. Basically the letter says: "Don't go thinking I'm 24 and working here means that I can't get a job. I have a 4.0 GPA at NAIT, I work here because of the flexible hours. I'm trying to get a career in my field, but it's hard because they want people with 2 yrs of experience. If they just give me a chance, I can prove myself."

Reminder: I was watching Glee tonight and there was a line that said (paraphase): "You hope you can get a entry level job." That reminds me of my dad telling me to get an entry level job.

May 19 Funny: I'm getting frustrated with my job search, so I'll think of funny things to keep my spirits up. I was watching CSI:NY, and the funny part was what happened off screen.

Cut to construction workers fighting each other.
Patrick: What is this? Scabs vs. union?
Me: What?

Cut to after the fight.
Det. Flack: It was scabs vs. union.
Me: What does that mean?
P: When a union goes on strike, the workers stop working. But then there are the people who continue to work because they need the money. They're called scabs.

News: It's official, Melrose Place has been canceled. I read it in the Globe and Mail and then went on Google. The news was confirmed 20hrs ago. Then I made sure Flashfoward was canceled by checking the internet too. Both shows aren't really bad, but the ratings weren't that good and won't get a second season. Scrubs is finally getting canceled after it's been on for years.

Job info: The Edmonton Petroleum Club is hiring bartenders and banquet staff. You can email Mr.Stanhope, sstanhope@shawbiz.ca. It's too far away for me. I always see this ad in the Job Classified newspaper. You can learn how to bar tend at 10507 81st. The spring special is $425 for a 2 week class. You can get your Pro Serve certification there. That's what you need if you're serving alcohol in Alberta.

I also saw an ad www.firststudentcanada.com to employ school bus drivers. I went to the site and they look for mechanics/ technicians, operations management, etc.

May 20 Blog: Someone other than my friends and family read my blog. Someone by the name of Dinah Bee Menil said: "like to read it again and again..." It's about my last post called "inspiration/ comparison/ friends."

I then clicked on his name and it lead me to elegalsite.com about law.

Data entry: I was on the internet and looking up positions like "data entry work at home." I asked my dad if that is legitimate work. You can make $300/day, but there's lots of scams out there. I then went on Yahoo.com and they gave safe job search tips:

Give out your social security number AT THEIR OFFICES and not on the phone or email.
Go to the Better Business Bureau to see if they're legit.

New job: I got a new job today. I thought I didn't get the job because they were supposed to call me yesterday, but they didn't. I decided to call them and I did get hired. I hope this job will work out.

Donair: I went and tried a donair at Queen's Donair. The poutines are good. The donair was good too.

Call centre: I found this old ad from 2007 that I cut out. There's a call centre at Westmount Centre called QCCS #700. It's a subsidary of the Neiman Marcus group. I remember reading an article in 24 about Westmount being a dead mall and how it has a call centre in there.

If anyone's interested, go to: hr@qualitycallcare.com.

I was cleaning out my desk and I found this other 2007 ad from GE call centre. I looked it up on the internet, and the Edmonton branch was closed down last year and laid off 250 people.

Just Energy: This keeps popping up. I applied on the internet awhile ago. I then found an ad in Job Classifieds and called it. The ad didn't mention the name and it was Just Energy. Then I found a 2007 ad from Job Classifieds and I called the number. It was them again.

When I went to the interview they said they lasted through the recession. They certainly lasted longer than the call centres did.

I was reading old job magazines I got back in 2008. I told you I was cleaning my desk. There's lots of inspiration there.

May 21 Actors: I was watching Flashpoint, and I saw Ennis Esmer (Toby's sidekick from The Listener) on. The younger version of Toby was on FP too. Both shows mention Tim Horton's. If you watch both shows, they're in Toronto and both shot with the same camera.

Meredith Henderson who played Shirley Holmes on the The Adventures of Shirley Holmes was on it too. MH was also on The Best Years also shot in Toronto. Shirley Holmes was a good kid's show with good mysteries.

I was watching CSI:NY reruns that I missed and I saw Jordano Spiro where she plays a bad guy. I first saw her on The Huntress with Annette O'Toole back in 2000. They played mother- daughter bounty hunters. It was comedy- crime and very funny and good. O'Toole is the Clark Kent's mom on Smallville.

I then saw Bree's long lost son from Desperate Housewives was on. He also played a bad guy. On the same episode, there was this Aboriginal man on it. He was on In Plain Sight and The Mentalist. Michael Trevino from The Vampire Diaries made a guest- star on this show too.

No comments: