Tuesday, May 18, 2010

inspiration/ comparisons/ friends

May 15 Inspiraton: I was reading the book Writing your Screenplay by Lisa Dethridge. She talked about the movie Run Lola Run: "That a protagonist can change their world and succeed against the odds, depending on how alert they are to the possibilities. Luck is what you make of it."

Job info: I looked at other credit card companies to work for. Visa jobs are only in Toronto. MasterCard jobs are in Toronto and Windsor. American Express has one in Calgary.

Reminders: I have random reminders of my job search like I was watching Family Guy, and Quagmire loses his job.

Did you know that Kevin Eubanks, the guitar player from the Tonight Show with Jay Leno is quitting after 18 years? I remember watching this Tru Calling episode with audio commentary and Jason Priestly was talking.

JP: I see years of my life going by on this morgue set, kind of like the Peach Pit.
lol. JP was on the TV show Beverly Hills 90210 and the Peach Pit was the hang out. He was on 90210 for 10 years.

I can relate with the Soup place for me. However, I was there for 2 years.

Feelings: I feel anxious and restless. I applied for a position at a bank today online. I probably won't get it. Today I felt restless so I went out and applied to two restaurants in downtown that are hiring.

Deja vu: This feels like summer 2007. I had trouble getting and keeping a job. I picked jobs that I didn't like. I worked there for 1-3 days and then quit for something else. This summer I was let go from them. The thought of going all the way to West Ed mall as my last resort to get a job is appearing in my plan.

I must remain positive. In summer 2005, I only had two jobs. Then I got a job at Roots at West Ed mall. I couldn't get a job in downtown that's why I went to West Ed. I have gained a lot of confidence. I can get a job in downtown. I must find it. There is the saying: "Opportunities will always surround if you if you know where to look."

May 16 Website: I decided to go on Craigslist and look for a job. I checked out Kiiji. I looked up writing jobs on Craigslist and they said they're looking for writers for the website www.cheateralert.com. The posting said: "Read some articles and write for us."

Expired food: It's time to write about something totally different from my job search. I've been eating expired food. I ate KFC fries that were 5 days old. I ate cheese that expired 3 months ago. As long as it stays in the fridge, food doesn't really go bad unless it's milk.

May 17 Cliche: I was watching Desperate Housewives, and instead of "Wall of Crazy", there was a "Scrapbook of Crazy." That means a scrapbook that has pictures and newspaper clippings.

Comparisons: Here is some more comparisons of similar ideas in TV and movies:

Training kids to kill: I was watching the movie Hit Man and it's about a guy who was trained to kill since he was a kid. In the movie Ninja Assassin, that was the same. So was the TV show Dark Angel where kids were born and raised to be supersoldiers. The bad guy Lydecker said it in the season 1 finale: "Why send 1000 soldiers out and lose 100 when you can send 10 soldiers out and not lose any?"

Then again it is true to life. Patrick got a book that analyzed warriors in history. Samurais learned to fight since they were 5. Knights at the age of 7.

Group of kids kill one of their friends: I mentioned this way back in season 1 of Castle (last year). There is a group of friends and one of them dies. Now the cops have to figure out which one killed the kid. In The Mentalist, it turns out the whole group killed the one kid.

A series of murders occur on an island: I was watching Criminal Minds the other day, and the BAU team has to go to Alaska and catch the serial killer. That reminded me of 2009 mini-series Harper Island. Except there was a wedding, and people don't start noticing the murders until 5 episodes in.

Finding a dead body in concrete: I saw that on CSI: NY a couple of weeks ago. A construction team was drilling into the concrete, and blood was spurting out at the beginning of the episode. On The Mentalist, the tip of the nose was sticking out of the concrete. It was found in the last half of the episode.

Wife gets back at dead beat husband: I was watching The Mentalist and this scientist died. Then it turns out his wife killed him because he couldn't get a job. The scientist was so smart, but he couldn't teach in front of a class because he was so shy. She was working 50hrs a week to support both of them.

That totally reminded me of Castle last season. This daughter gets kidnapped, and the husband was busy painting and listening to his iPod. The window was open without bars so the kid got kidnapped. The wife did it by getting her sister to kidnap the kid. The husband wasn't selling his paintings. He said he's going to stay at home to take care of the kid, but he doesn't. He just puts the kid in front of the TV, and doesn't work. The wife works 15hrs a day at a bank to support all 3 of them. She wants a divorce, but he will get half of her money. She goes to a lawyer and he tells her to prove that he's a bad father.

The lesson here is: If you're a guy and your wife is making all the money, you should be taking care of the kids or the home. It's okay if a guy makes less money than his wife, as long as he's responsible with his money. Don't go hitting her up for cash.

Money tip: I have read with Ann Landers advice column: The person who makes more money should be paying for rent and mortgage. The person who makes less money should be paying for groceries.

Fact: I was watching financial expert Suze Orman on Oprah.com. She says: "Did you know that 40% of women are primary breadwinners?" I didn't know that.

Reitman's: I was looking through an old email from my friend Sherry. She said if you work at Reitman's long enough, you get benefits. Maybe after 6 months or 500 hours. Maybe I'll apply there.

Job interview: I wrote the above around midnight. Now it's the afternoon. I had a job interview at a drink place in downtown. I must not put obstacles in front of myself. I need to focus on the positive like I don't have to buy clothes. They give you a shirt and an apron. I can wear my black pants and shoes. It's in downtown so it's close. I had previous work experience at a restaurant.

The bad things I see was that it seems a bit overwhelming and nervous about it. There are 5 people up for 2 positions and it's fine if I don't get the job.

Friends: The highlight of the day was that I bumped into Maygen in the food court. She was with her friend Caitlin. C has a job in Zara and it pays $10/hr with commission. Sometimes she makes $50 on commission. The clothing discount is 15% which is bad. At Roots and Urban Planet, the discount is 50% off, but no commission.

Forever 21 is 10% off the clothes because it's cheap already. No commission. Zara's clothes are really expensive, and it should be a higher employee discount.

Maygen still has a lot of schooling to attend to become a nurse. Caitlin is taking an medical administration course so she can work as a receptionist at hospitals. This is a sign for me to get into a program at school and take those classes so I could get that kind of job.

1 comment:

Dinah Bee Menil said...

like to read it again and again....