Sunday, April 11, 2010

Tyler Labine/ The Bridge/ inspiration

Apr. 8 Tyler Labine: He is a Canadian actor. The first time I saw him was on the teen sitcom Breaker High, about high school kids going to school on a boat. He is the fat and funny guy. This is the same show where Ryan Gosling got his break before he got really big in The Notebook. There was an article in the Journal about how TL did the short- lived show Invasion.

He's now in the new show Sons of Tucson. It's kind of like Malcolm in the Middle. SoT is about three boys who hire a guy (TB) to play their dad. Their real dad is in jail, and the kids don't want to be split up in foster care. I saw a bit of the show, and it's kind of funny. TB did do well for a couple of years on the show Reaper.

Epiphany: It's so weird in the interview. TB says: "I was in Vancouver. The only roles I got were mainly appearances on American shows shot in Vancouver. The small roles were given to Canadians."

Me: Oh my God! That's so true. How come I never noticed that until you pointed it out?

I've seen TB make an appearance in the American show Dark Angel and the movie Anti-Trust. Then there was Hank from Corner Gas making an appearance on the American Show Tru Calling as Tru's neighbor. Jesse Moss was on Dark Angel and Tru Calling. Then Giles Panton makes an appearance on the American show Human Target. All those shows are shot in Vancouver.

Apr. 9 Counter argument: The only time when Canadians get to be leads in shows that are shot in Canada, are when the shows are Canadian like Flash Gordon.

However, I was watching The Bridge tonight, and I saw Aaron Ashmore. He's a Canadian actor on a Canadian show. He's the twin brother of the more successful actor Shawn Ashmore. SA is known for playing Ice Man in the X-Men movie trilogy.

I then thought: "Wait! Aaron Ashmore is Canadian, and he's a regular on the American show Smallville, and it's shot in Vancouver. Also Edmonton actor Eric Johnson was on that show for the first season. Canadian actor Kristin Kreuk was on that show for several seasons." That's my counter argument that Canadians can get leads in American shows shot in Canada.

The Bridge: This is a really good cop show. This is the 3rd ep I saw tonight. One of the stories was an 8 yr old boy Eddie is kidnapped off a bus. The cops go to the house, and look around. Did you know that most of the time, the kid's in the house, but he's hiding, and falls asleep and can't hear his mom call him?

The mom says it's probably the ex-husband who violates the restraining order. The cops interview the bus driver who's been driving that bus for 10 years. He hasn't seen anything. Cut to Eddie with a teenage boy at a house watching TV. Teen boy said the mom's in the hospital so that's why he's watching Eddie.

Cops talk about that time a kid Archibald who was kidnapped on a bus 10 years ago. The man got arrested, and denies he did it. He dies in prison. Then it turns out the ex-husband got arrested yesterday so he couldn't have gotten Eddie. The cops put it together and realize that the bus driver has been driving the bus route for the past 10 years.

Cops go and tell the driver to spook him a bit. They follow the driver to the house where Eddie and the Teen boy is. The lead cop Frank goes into the house by throwing a chair to break the window.

Aaron Ashmore: Shouldn't we get search warrant?
Frank: There's a missing child in there, that's our search warrant.

Then as I suspected, the teen boy was Archibald. He said he was kidnapped 10 years ago by the bus driver, and that if got a new boy, he would be released. AA's character then shot the driver because he was going to set Eddie on fire.

Procedure: I read in a book that a cop can only go into your house if you have search warrant. But, if you see somebody in danger or you know for sure that's somebody's getting hurt in there, you can go in. It's mentioned from the movie Bon Cop Bad Cop. They're waiting for the search warrant to come through, but Bad Cop has to break in anyway.

Good cop: Great, now we can't use the evidence.
Bad cop: Whatever, I'll just say I thought I saw somebody in danger.

If cops go into a house without a search warrant, even if they find a dead body, that evidence would be inadmissable in a court of law because they got that evidence unlawfully. Cops have to be careful and go by the book.

Comparison: The Bridge is like Flashpoint. They're both Canadian cop dramas. This episode kind of redid a Flashpoint episode. On FP, a man kidnaps a little girl, because the one he's got at home is now a teenager, and gotten too old for him. On The Bridge, it's boys, and a Teen boy does the kidnapping.

Job rant: I'm doing my job search at night. I usually do this in the morning. I'm at the Public Service Commission of Canada website. All the jobs are stuff I'm not interested in, I'm not qualified for like needing a Bachelor's degree, or it's in another province. I could be a kitchen helper in Edmonton. It's casual, but it's for the Correctional Service of Canada which probably means working at a jail.

I applied there anyway. I found this piece of paper where it turns out I did set up an account on that site way back in May 2008. I applied at 6 positions back then, but I didn't get any callbacks. I also haven't been or logged onto that site since then, at least that's what I remember. Maybe they would have hired me if I went back to that site. But they didn't call me, so I guess they didn't hire me anyway.

Apr. 10 Writing: Today I pitched my script to some companies. I found it while I was on the internet looking for a job.

I always send two emails a week, with the occasional 3rd email. I need to maintain two emails a week so I know that I'm not writing too much when I should be on the internet looking for a job.

Banks: I showed my friend Justin my bank resume and he gave me some tips like instead of saying "administrative assistant", I should write "customer service representative." He said to email my resume to him, and he will email it to his bank location.

I added this girl Jenna whom I've known since jr. high to be friends on Facebook. She works at TD and we reconnected when she came to the Soup place back in Mar. 2009.

Apr.11 Paul Popowich: It's kind of funny. I was watching The Bridge, and every time I see the actor Paul Popowich, I've known I've seen him somewhere, but I don't know where. I was like: "Flash Gordon?"

Then today I was like: "Oh yeah! He was on the TV show Dark Angel in the pilot. He played Max's ex-boyfriend where he was only in one scene." I can't believe I remembered that. That show was on 10 years ago. I've seen it a couple times more with the buying the dvds, and watching it again with audio commentary. This is proof that I have a good memory with faces and that Canadians mainly get small roles on American shows that are shot in Canada.

Inspiration: I went to postsecret.com and there's a secret that said: "Hope is sending out seventy unsolicited resumes and still believing that next week would be better."

This is what I need to hear for my job search. I then went on my blog and looked up how many times I wrote about Post Secret. Quite a lot.

In 11 days, I passed out 72 resumes. That lay off really pushed me to look for a job. In 2008, I passed out over 100 resumes, but that was in a period of 8 months. In 2009, I passed out 110 resumes so I could get that call centre job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tracy...Corrections has a magazine called "Let's Talk". You should maybe send a resume to them as it seems that writing may be your interest. The CSC has a Communications sector, so give that a shot too. They are also short on parole officers at the moment and people teaching specific programs. The big push at the moment is to make sure that certain minority groups are represented in hiring. Stress that if it applies. Good luck.