Sunday, April 18, 2010

new job/ dialogue/ comparisons

Apr. 15 New job: I started a new job today. It was from 8am-2pm. Since it was so slow, I only worked until 11am. Tomorrow, I don't have to work. They'll call me. There's only 3 people right now. I feel like, this job may not last very long. The manager said someone's coming back at the end of the month, and she admitted business is slow.

Job search: I got an email that I got rejected for a position at TD. That's fine. I was reading the classifieds again, and Dallas Pizza has an opening for a cook, $12.90/hr. I mentioned this before back in summer 2009. I was still working at the Soup place, and there was no point in getting another similar job, that paid a bit higher.

I would be going from one garbage job to another one. There wouldn't be that big of a difference. Sicilian Kitchen is hiring again. It had an ad open for awhile in Jan. Then it stopped, and now it's back again.I went to Rogers.com to look for a job. There are call centres, but none in Edmonton. I went to Shaw Communications, and there's 3 positions that I don't qualify.

Writing: I also asked about that Super Channel screenwriting contest I entered a few months ago, and I didn't win either. That's okay.

Dialogue: I know people have described my dialogue in my scripts as awkward, unrealistic, and it doesn't sound like how real people talk. But then I thought of that time with the out of control teen girl on Jenny Jones.

JJ: You got pregnant when you were 13?
Girl: Yeah.
JJ: And you got an abortion?
Girl: Yeah.

Let's for a moment, think that this is real. JJ didn't hire an actress. If this wasn't a talk show where the host shows guests who are really bad, what other situation would have people talk like this? I then thought this up. The girl is talking to a therapist.

A therapist is asking her these questions.

Therapist: Did you pick up the milk?
Girl: What?
T: I said that because the way you were answering my questions about serious topics like teen pregnancy and abortion makes me think that you don't take this seriously.
Girl: Oh what? You want me to act like I feel guilty for getting an abortion? I was 13, I'm not ready to be a mom.
T: Do you feel guilty?
Then blah blah, goes the therapy session.

The above was written for a drama. I could do the whole string of questions and throw in: "Did you pick up the milk?" to be funny if it was written for a show like Family Guy. Maybe some people watching FG would find that funny.

Apr. 16: I haven't been writing much because I've been looking for a job and have writer's block. It's still on my mind, because I can imagine Chris Craddock reading the above script. If he just read the Jenny Jones part, he would be saying: "That is the most unrealistic piece of dialogue I have ever read. You might as well be asking her if she picked up the milk."

Me: This was transcribed from the Jenny Jones show. It's real people talking.

Job tip: I was reading the 16 and Pregnant thread, and one person mentioned about how we have to adapt to survive. She said something about having a college diploma isn't a guarantee that you will have a career. I know, my sister mentioned this back in 2006: "Doesn't mean you get more education means that you well get a career."

Saying: "You will be surrounded by opportunities if you know where to find them." I thought of that saying when I was looking for a job on the internet.

Apr. 17 EI: I feel great. I just filed for my EI report by calling them up. I should be getting my benefits.

Comparisons: I haven't been writing much, but I have been keeping an eye on how to be original by watching TV.

Mugging: I was watching How I Met your Mother and it was like Parks and Recreation. Marshal gets mugged by a monkey, but then later it turns out he wasn't. Then he won't tell us what really happened to his wallet. On Parks, a man says he got mugged. Then later it's revealed, that it fell into the pond.

Dr. wife: The lead character is a man, and his wife or ex-wife is a doctor on the following shows: Johnny Zero, Republic of Doyle, and FlashForward. That's good to show women being doctors, other than medical dramas.

Finding a dead body in a carousel: I saw that on Criminal Minds, and then later on Castle.

Finding a dead body when opening a door: I saw that on Castle. But you can also open a closet or a locker and a dead body falls over. Remember the Buffy pilot, a locker opens and a dead body falls out.

A regular member of the show getting fatally injured: On Criminal Minds, Elle gets shot. Then she survives, but later leaves the show. Another female member Garcia gets shot. She survives, but stays on the show. On CSI: NY, Carmine gets shot, and is in a wheel chair for awhile. This usually occurs in season finales, or sweeps in Nov., Feb., or May.

A serial killer who kidnaps people and treats them like dolls: I saw this on Dollhouse. It's a sci-fi show about people imprinted with people's brains. One time, Victor gets imprinted with a serial killer's mind who kidnaps 3 women to play his sister, aunt, and mother.

On Criminal Minds about an FBI team catching serial killers. A serial killer who kidnaps women and dresses them up like dolls. In this case it's a woman suffered from trauma from her dad, and she was obsessed with these 3 dolls. She recreates them by kidnapping 3 women.

A baby is kidnapped and police have to save him: It was on CSI:NY and Flashpoint. On FP, a teen girl gave the baby up for adoption. Her boyfriend was in jail, and then he got out. He went crazy, and they go and kidnap the baby from the adoptive family. The SRU unit has to rescue them.

Coincidentally, the same night I was watching CSI, and they did an episode. A deaf woman has a 19 yr old daughter. The teen daughter was murdered and there is another baby daughter. They're all deaf. Then it turns out the teen daughter is really the mother of the baby. There's stigma to teen pregnancy.

It turns out it's the baby's father who is teen daughter's ex- boyfriend. He's also deaf. He kills the teen daughter when he tries to kidnap the baby. Then he later succeeds in kidnapping the baby. Then there's a crazy car chase scene, and he stops the car when the spike belt is pulled out to wreck the tires.

Melrose Place: It's weird. This show may be getting canceled, and I find it average. I won't miss it if it's gone. I feel like the show is talking right to me about my Rain script. On the season finale, David starts working for a bad guy, so he won't hurt his girlfriend. That's kind of like my script.

Chris Craddock had told me that my lead could take something that the bad guy wants. On MP, Ella takes something that Amanda wants.

Sympathetic character: I was watching a Glee rerun and I see that the antagonist Sue Sylvester is a sympathetic character. It turns out she has a older sister who has Down Syndrome and is like the only person she treats with respect.

Apr. 19 Break: I called my friend Jessica yesterday and asked her for tips about a job search. She said in my emails I sound frustrated, and that I should take a break for a few months. There are lots of people who are more qualified and will get those jobs. Wait until late Aug. when everybody goes back to school, and pick up the jobs.

I see her point, but I can't stop looking for a job for 3 months. I do take breaks like a few hours by turning off the computer. However, at the most, I would take one day off looking for a job. I don't want to miss a good opportunity.

No comments: