Wednesday, February 3, 2010

quote/ plain truth/ high school

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 2010

quote/ plain truth/ high school

Feb. 1 Quote: So I got an email from an old guy friend in high school and at the end it said: "A warm smile will take you places you will never believe. Smiles and laughter cost nothing, whereas anger and fear can cost you everything." I asked if he made that one up or got that from somewhere else.

The TV show Heartland's tag line is: "Anything's possible if you speak from the heart."

Rant: Here's a mild rant. It's not good to keep your anger all bottled up. I was thinking about Michael Phelps and he said he had ADD and teachers didn't believe in him. I could relate to the ADD part, but not to the teachers not believing in him. Then I thought: "Wait, what about in gr. 9, when the teachers were recommending what classes the students are to go into?"

All my teachers recommended I go into the low classes so they didn't believe in me. I might as well throw this one in too, my gr. 1 and 2 teacher Miss. De la Salle didn't believe in me either. Now that I got that out, I can move on.

Blog: Someone made a comment on my last blog post. I think this maybe the second time anyone has ever commented on my blog that isn't one of my friends. I remember a woman making a comment. Throw in the producer John Kerr emailing me about the blog.

Here it is:

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Alena

I emailed her back thanking her for her comment.

Matt Barr: I was watching Castle last week and I saw this cute blonde guy in the interrogation room. He looked familiar, but I didn't know where. Then last night I was watching a CSI: NY rerun where Nelly Furtado guest-starred. Kyle Gallner was also on it too.

Then I let Patrick watch some of Grammy Awards. As I was watching it with him, I was like: "Oh yeah, that guy was on Harper's Island!" His name is Matt Barr.

Shopping: Did you know kiosk/store Things Engraved in City Centre closed down? I'll add that to the list of stores that closed down. In summer 2008 I applied there, but I was working at the Soup place. The manager said I couldn't go and try out the job for 3 days a week, for a few weeks. They needed full-time, so I turned it down. There were 10 people up for that job, so I'm guessing someone wants it more than I did. I dodged that bullet by not working there because it closed down.

Writing: I rewrote a scene in Fighter. I wrote it down awhile back, but I typed it up today. It's where the character Mia reveals something to Shawn. It's also realistic because it adds more tension to the script. Throw in the fact that I want to live an open life, and it kind of affects my writing.

Joke: I was watching Family Guy.

Meg: I heard there's NASCAR in China.

Cut to the beginning of the NASCAR race. They start, and immediately there is a big car pile of angry drivers.

Me: Oh I suspected that was coming when they started the race. Another Asian driver joke. I thought it was kind of funny.

Fun: Today my friend Chamnouer dropped by at work today. That's good. I wasn't supposed to work at the Soup place today, but they called me up. C worked at another jewelery store for the Christmas season. Now she's going to staffing agencies to get a job. I warned her about those agencies being kind of shady, and wished her luck.

I told her about applying to Save on Foods. There are health benefits when working for them. I heard Safeway and Superstore, if you work there for 500 hours, you will get paid an extra $1 for the hours you worked.

Job: I got full-time hours last week, and this week at the Soup place. I also picked up my pay check from the call centre. I don't have any shifts this week there. That's fine, because I saw the schedule and five other people don't have any shifts there either. We're on the same boat.

I guess I should count how many interviewers are there now to see if anyone has quit. I also looked up Treats on the internet. They didn't call me back. I guess I could call them back. A week has gone by, no messages. She did say there were 10 people going up for 7 positions. That's fine that I didn't get the job.

I ask: "Are you putting obstacles in front of yourself?" I'm not, because I'm working at the Soup place. I have two jobs already, though it's more like one. I'm setting my sights on Save on Foods because they have benefits, and Treats doesn't.

Wedding Crashers: I saw some of this movie on TV. My sister really likes it. It made me think of my script Rain. Let's just say one of the characters has sex with a virgin, and she goes all clingy on him. He is then scared of her.

I already did one comedy scene about that topic with one guy in my script. Then I did a drama scene with another guy in the same script.

Feb. 2 Plain truth: I was reflecting again and I remember a time my sister said this to me: "The stuff you learned in Applied Math 30, that's the stuff I learned in Pure Math 10." That's the plain truth. There's no other way you can say it. You can translate it as: "You're stupid."

Well I know Applied Math is one step above Math 24. It's kind of weird, I studied, attend every class, go to math tutors, have my sister tutor me, and get a 50% in Applied Math 30. Then I go take Pure Math 30 in Centre High and get 63%. I do the hard work in a harder class, and do even better in it.

High school: I was also thinking about how I went into Social 13, and then I did Social 23, and then took Social 20 in summer school. That's how I managed to get into Social 30. Same goes for English. I went into Social 13 and English 13 because I was recommended by it. Also when my sister went and looked at it when I was registering for the classes, she didn't go and tell me to go into grade level.

I don't know if it's about double the work for me. Eng. 13 was easy for me. If I went into grade level for Eng. and Social at the start of high school, I would have gotten 15 credits. Since I didn't go into grade level at the start of high school, I got 20 credits. Throw in a good thing is that in Social 23 and Social 20 in summer school, I didn't have to do the UN debate which is a lot of hard work. So, ha, ha in a way.

The important thing is, I did graduate out of high school instead of doing the bare min. of Math 24, Science 24, English 33, and Social 33. I had Applied Math 30, Eng. 30, Social 33, and I didn't pass Bio 30, but I did graduate out of high school. I did Social 33, because the other 3 classes were hard, and I kind of wanted of easy class to lighten the load.

The next year I went to Centre High and managed to do Pure Math 30, redo Eng. 30, Social 30, and pass Bio 30. I then managed to use Eng.30 and Pure Math 30 to get into NAIT. I did a year there, and didn't graduate, but that's fine. It's still a major milestone for me to even get into college.

Saying: It reminds me of an old saying. I think I was talking with my dad in high school: "The more you do, the more options." If I didn't do those grade level classes, I wouldn't have had as many options. I wouldn't have been able to go into as many college programs. I got into Professional Writing because they only looked at your Eng.30 mark (if you're a mature student, over 21 years old), your writing portfolio, and a writing test. If you're younger than 21, they look at all your other marks in your other courses.

Feb. 3: I do want to say there are teachers that believed in me. I got this flashback of gr.7 when I went and auditioned for the talent show. Dr. Tranter came in and Michelle Smarsh told her that I was auditioning, but waiting for the CD player.

Dr.T: Well Tracy is talented.
This is before she even saw me audition. Maybe she was being nice, but I guess I kind of needed that confidence boost.

No comments: