Friday, July 31, 2009

music/ abortion/ job search


FRIDAY, JULY 31, 2009

music/ abortion/ job search

Jul. 29 Music: I heard "Heartless" acoustic cover by American Idol winner Kris Allen on the radio yesterday. I didn't really like the Kanye West original, but man I love this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9I4fyayqxo

There's also an acoustic cover of Rihanna's "Umbrella" by Marie Digby. I remember listening to this rock version of it done by Mandy Moore. It's more like Adult Alternative music when Moore covered it.

I remember way back in 2002, there was the song "Always on Time" by Ja Rule and Ashanti. John Mayer sang the chorus to it during a concert, and everybody sang with him. It's very good. You hear a black woman Ashanti sing it over synthesized drums and keyboards. Then you hear a white man John Mayer sing it over an acoustic guitar. It sounds so different and it sounds so good.

Jul. 30: There is actually The Fray covering "Heartless" too. I like this and Kris Allen's because there is so much emotion and depth in it. You can totally do a contemporary dance to it. I borrowed Usher's cd "Here I stand." It's average and it's got some good dance songs to it. I went on Youtube and typed in John Mayer "always on time" and found him performing that song. It's great.

Dance: Speaking of dance, I read in the Metro that Blake McGrath is teaching dance at the Shaw Conference centre this week. I feel like the ship has sailed. I mean that I should be focusing on my strengths and that's writing.

Capital Ex: I read in 24 that the highest amount of people coming to it was back in 2005 when it was still called Klondike Days. They should have never have changed it to Capital Ex. lol.

Tosh.O: I think yesterday's show went too far. There was this one joke on it that I didn't laugh and was offended by it. Well Daniel didn't crack it, it was a video of a guy giving the worst best man speech ever at a wedding. Even the Asian jokes that Daniel cracked afterwards weren't offensive to me.

Well it's a web redemption. This regular guy gives the best man speech by saying that he's the older brother to the groom. You can skip this paragraph and go straight to the next one. The guy said: "I am the first one to get a woman pregnant and force her to get an abortion." The audience was like: "Ohhhh." That was so bad.

Yeah well, at least the guy went and got a web redemption. He talked to this comedian and he gave tips on how to redo the best man speech. The tip was this:

Guy: I am not losing a brother. I am gaining a family that hates me.
His brother and his wife, and their parents laughed at that.
Guy: When I first met her (your wife), I thought she was too good for you. Now that I got to know her, I realized she is still too good for you.
The wife laughs at that.

Cut to the show.
Daniel: Well after 7 takes, I drank a little too much.

Cut to Daniel wasted and swearing.

The Asian jokes weren't offensive.

Cut to a video clip of a bunch of people in Japan trying to get on an LRT train.
Daniel: Well at least they're not driving.

Cut to a pic of a bunch of Asians in a swimming pool.
D: They must be on the shallow end. Get it?
Me: No.
D: It's because they're short.
Me: Oh yeah.

Abortion: Anyway that best man speech really "jumped the shark." That means a show has hit it's lowest point. That reminds me of Cheaters. There was this woman who found out her boyfriend was cheating on her and she yells at him: "I even got an abortion for you, I should have kept that f---ing baby."

I felt so sorry for her. She needs counselling. At that time I was like 19. At first I was kind of confused because why would you want to keep a baby by a guy who's a total scumbag? But then I realized that she didn't agree with a decision that he made. She wanted to keep her boyfriend, and she should have really gotten rid of him, and kept the baby.

I remember telling this to my friend Leslie back in 2004. We were at Wendy's and it was the end of summer. We were going to watch the Jet Li movie Hero afterwards. I thought Leslie was going to be agreeing with me and saying that it was sad. Instead it was different.

L: Well actually it's a good thing that she did get an abortion. If she kept the kid and raised it as her own, then she wouldn't even have enough money for her own retirement.

I told this to Ray awhile back.

R: Well it seems that this woman is not ready to have a baby because she put her boyfriend ahead of the baby.

Anyway, I hope people (women) who do watch this show will realize that even if you get an abortion to keep your boyfriend, your boyfriend may still cheat on you and leave you.

That also reminds me of another ep where this woman got pregnant and her boyfriend was cheating on her.

Woman: When I got pregnant, he was trying to convince me to get an abortion even though he knows I'm totally against that. If I find out he's cheating on me, I'm going to leave him. I'm going to be a single mom.

I felt this ep had also a really "jump the shark" moment because the boyfriend stabbed the host Joey Greco. Seriously, I saw it.

Teen pregnancy: I was reading my screenwriting book and it asked the question: "What topics are you interested in? Go write about it." Well I'm interested in teen pregnancy, but I'm not going to write about it because it's too repetitive. Besides the movie Juno, Tyra Banks covering this topic on her show, teen shows doing this all the time like 90210, and Degrassi: The Next Generation did it 3 times.

Writing: I was watching The Listener, and see that Olivia got a second subplot on this show. There were subplots with Oz. That reminds me of the first season of Dark Angel. When I bought the dvds back in 2003, and watched them back to back. A lot of the subplots were people at the work place Jam Pony.

Casting: It was also so cool on The Listener. The girl they cast to play Olivia's sister, looks like her. They look like they could be related. I haven't seen really good casting since Prison Break. Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell do look like they're related.

Jul. 31 Analyze: I was watching 16 and Pregnant. During the commercials, they do cut to the host reading emails from viewers. One email said: "I have the upmost respect for those teen moms. They are raising kids at a really young age."

I thought that was weird. When I asked my sister what if her daughter got pregnant as a teenager, she said: "I would kick her out of the house. I would lose respect for her." I mainly feel sorry for the girls because they ruined their lives. If they gave the baby up for adoption, then I don't really feel sorry for them because they can still live productive lives.

Job search: Today I went to a job interview. I hadn't been to one since last November. It's been about 8 months. I didn't feel confident, but then I thought about psychic Nadia. She said: "You put obstacles in front of yourself." I didn't try to sabotage myself.

When the company emailed me, I emailed them right back. He emailed to set up a time for an interview, and I replied back. I dressed up, and got there on time. I was reading my screenwriting book when the president of the company came in. I got up and shook his hand. I did the interview. I think it was average.

At the end I did a proofreading test. He then told me to go and write about why I should be fit for this job. I then went home and wrote it in an email detailing my education. It was like that Professional Prose assignment in Professional Writing. I then sent the email to him.

Now that it's done, I can then reflect back on it. I remember last summer I was working at Clothing Store #3. I then got a job interview at Smart Set. After the interview, I felt like I wouldn't get the job. I was right because when I called them up later, they said they need all sorts of availability. That's because I said I wanted to keep working at Clothing Store #3 and work the Smart Set schedule around it.

It's okay, because my dad would say Smart Set is a "garbage job." I may not get that job, but I can still easily get another retail job. It was a miracle to get a job at a bank, but there is a difference between getting a job, and being good at the job. That would be a miracle.

I remember way back in 2002, I was watching Much News. Lance Bass from Nysnc was trying to get into space. The host George said: "There's a difference between taking the test, and passing the test."

No comments: