Tuesday, June 2, 2009

charity/ The Listener/ Iron Man

May 30 Charity: Today at work, I was talking to my friend Ray about an old weekly email. It's about where someone gives you a card that says: "I'm deaf and mute, please donate some money."

Ray: I think I gave a $1 to them one time.
Me: My friend Sherry said in an email that she had a friend who was deaf and mute, and he worked as dishwasher. He never really got the best jobs, but he tried.
Ray: Yeah, a friend of mine's grandparents are deaf and it was hard for them to get jobs. Well, yeah 40 years ago.
Me: Do you ever watch that show Sue Thomas: FB Eye?
Ray: Yeah, my grandma loves that show.
(I remember my cousin Joyce liking that show. It was average for me.)
Me: Yeah, so the lead character Sue is deaf, but she can work for the FBI.

What a coincidence. I have been hitting writer's block so I was reading The Globe and Mail. Did you know that back in 1970s, 10% of Africa was in dire poverty. Now it's over 70%. Here's how you can help poor people in foreign countries. Go to this website:
http://www.kiva.org/

They tell you about these entreprenuers, and if you want to help them, you can donate money to them. They do help the economy. The article mentioned about how China managed to get 300 million people of poverty. They are creating jobs, by working with Africa. It is predicted that Africa's economy will grow by 3%.

School: Today I was reading the National Post about how people are paying for private school. One family goes camping once a year to save money, don't eat out, don't go to movies, or hire baby- sitters to be able to pay for tuition. I would say go to public school. It's not really free, because it is our tax money that's paying for it.

The Listener: I got this in my Facebook email:

"CTV announced yesterday that THE LISTENER will now receive a special two-night, two-episode premiere, on CTV. THE LISTENER now premieres Wednesday, June 3 at 7 p.m. ET/PT on SPACE and at 10 p.m. ET on CTV (10 p.m. ET). Episode 2 now premieres in its regular timeslot, Thursday, June 4 at 7 p.m. ET/PT on SPACE and at 10 p.m. ET on CTV. Visit spacecast.com and CTV.ca to confirm local listings. NBC also announced that on Thursday June 4th it will air a special two-episode two hour premier of THE LISTENER starting at 9pm!!!!!! After which The Listener will return to its regualr time at 10pm on Thursdays.We get two episodes in one week! What a way to start!!!!!Please keep checking The Listener (Official) group for exciting daily updated content, and remember to freak your friends out at AreYourSecretsSafe.com!"

I went to AreYourSecretsSafe.com and I sent it to my friends Leslie and Angela. I thought it was funny. I don't know if they did.

May 31 Job search: Today I picked up the Edmonton Examiner. I don't really find this newspaper really interesting or really good, but I needed something to read during a boring day at work. I found this job ad to work on a cruise ship and make $500- $3000/ week. I then emailed them my resume. It did say "free room/ board."

Living on a ship sounds cool. My managers went on a cruise ship a couple of weeks ago. I was told there was a 24hr buffet. I also saw some BNN, they did a piece on working on a cruise ship. It will be like the TV show Breaker High. That's where Ryan Gosling got his big break before he got really big in the movie The Notebook. lol. Applying to this job will be like the most exciting thing I did this month.

Yeah, there are some cons like what about pirates? What if the boat sinks? I'm sure there will be enough safety boats. The women and children always gets on those.

Last night I was talking to my friend Jessica on the phone. I asked if she knows of any jobs.

Jessica: My brother got a job at Le Chateau.
Me: How much does it pay?
J: I think min. wage.
Me: So $8.80.

J tells me to keep the job I have now as the priority.

Cactus Club: I read a restaurant review in the Edmonton Journal about the Cactus Club. It turns out it was on Jasper Ave, and then it closed down after less than 2 years. That's an example of how many restaurants close down within the first 2 years. There was one on Calgary Trail, it closed down in 1995 after 13 months. Now it's at West Ed mall. I thought the restaurant sounded familiar. Then I remember reading about how they're hiring when I was looking at Job Classified a month or so ago.

June 1 Job: It was crazy today. Three people didn't come to work. One was on vacation, and two people were sick. Fortunately, another worker came later in the day and helped us out.

Writing: Today this guy from a production company emailed me back, asking for my resume, and script. I emailed him back with it. He says he'll get back to me in a few weeks.

Music: I borrowed the Ne- Yo cd called "Year of the Gentlemen." He has all these songs like "Miss Independent", "Closer", "Single" with New Kids on the Block on the radio. However, on the cd, he is the only one singing "Single." I like that song "Single", both versions. It's a good R&B album to dance to. I recommend you check it out.

June 2 Good news: I read on Yahoo news that a new bride Georgette Clemons, ran into a burning house and saved a family, while wearing her wedding gown. She was at her wedding reception, and then she was riding home when she saw a house on fire and she got and helped. That's really good.

Iron Man: Yesterday I borrowed the movie Iron Man. I liked it. The Marvel comics guy Stan Lee makes an appearance in it just like he did in Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. Robert Downey Jr. plays Tom Stark who creates weapons for the American army. He goes to the Middle East and gets attacked. He is then held hostage by terrorists and he has to make weapons for them, then he will be released.

He makes friends with this guy Yessin, and he builds this armor that also shoots fire. He manages to escape with it. He gets a homemade heart surgery from Y, and has this kind of battery that helps him stay alive. Later he builds this huge armor when he gets back to the USA. He then flies to the Middle East and fights terrorists. I really like that part when the terrorists were in a village and they were kidnapping the women and children, and killing the men. Iron Man saves the day.

Tomorrow is The Listener, and the day after that they air the second episode. I recommend all of you to watch it on CTV and Space. Go check your local TV listings. Thanks.

No comments: